Breast pumps question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 05-19-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love to know what breast pumps women have found to be the most useful - either for yourself or your clients. I have never pumped before although I have nursed all seven of my children for varying times. If I pump it will only be for the occasional feeding as I might be going back to doula work when my little darling is a few months old (I know I have a birth lined up for November, but beyond that am not sure how many other births I will do - it could be a few or it could be none) so I don't need something for every day pumping, etc, but I want something effective.

So give me your suggestions ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 05-19-2008, 09:09 PM

I liked my PIS Advances by Medela (recently heard they no longer are selling the original), and most moms do, but it's pricey if your not going to use it that often. Very effective though, double electric and easy to find parts for. It runs about $280. I have seen Bailey makes a double electric that costs about $100 if I remember correctly. I've never known anyone to use it but, the lady I work for says shes heard lots of good stuff about it. The only thing is that it doesn't regulate the suction on it's own, you have to do it by using your fingers over the valve thingy. But if your not going to be pumping all the time you most likely won't care. I'm sure it's harder to get parts for, but I imagine you can find anything on the internet. It also doesn't come with all the parts, just the motor, so you have to buy the rest separately, but I'm sure that it's still much cheaper than the Medela. I can't remember what the Bailey model is called I can look it up if you like.

You may be just looking at needing a hand pump, I don't know as much about them, sorry.

Oh by the way do you hand out at the doula board on ivillage?

Sav
#3 of 19 Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
For occasional pumping, I'd suggest the Avent Isis- it's the absolute best hand pump I've ever used. It was all the pump I needed for working about 20 hours a week when DS was a baby.

There might be newer pumps that are just as good- I haven't needed a pump in 5 years, and it's been 6.5 years since I bought one!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#4 of 19 Old 05-19-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrelandsMama View Post
I liked my PIS Advances by Medela (recently heard they no longer are selling the original), and most moms do, but it's pricey if your not going to use it that often. Very effective though, double electric and easy to find parts for. It runs about $280. I have seen Bailey makes a double electric that costs about $100 if I remember correctly. I've never known anyone to use it but, the lady I work for says shes heard lots of good stuff about it. The only thing is that it doesn't regulate the suction on it's own, you have to do it by using your fingers over the valve thingy. But if your not going to be pumping all the time you most likely won't care. I'm sure it's harder to get parts for, but I imagine you can find anything on the internet. It also doesn't come with all the parts, just the motor, so you have to buy the rest separately, but I'm sure that it's still much cheaper than the Medela. I can't remember what the Bailey model is called I can look it up if you like.

You may be just looking at needing a hand pump, I don't know as much about them, sorry.

Oh by the way do you hand out at the doula board on ivillage?

Sav
Yes I do I am actually the cl there.
#5 of 19 Old 05-19-2008, 11:31 PM

The Medela PIS is a great double electric pump and would work well, especially if you see yourself pumping regularly. The Avent Isis is a great hand pump if you just need the occasional bottle. Avent just failed all of the bad plastic tests, however, so I would not use their bottles for storage or heating of your milk.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#6 of 19 Old 05-20-2008, 12:53 PM

i have good things about whisper wear because you can multi task, but it gets very mixed reviews.

i rented a very expensive pump and didn't do too well with my last stint at pumping-so maybe you don't always get what you pay for

but worked 40+ hours a week with exclusively nursing a toddler and pumped with a hand pump beautifully, the Avent, actually

i also found it to be great at getting the last hindmilk baby had left behind for "the reserves" in the freezer

i know some pumps are covered by some health care plans now
#7 of 19 Old 05-20-2008, 03:06 PM

I have an Avent Isis hand pump (great for occasional pumping, or to stick in your bag for in a pinch). I even used this pump below decks in between sailing races, while crewing on a boat! When I went back to work full time I bought an Ameda Purely Yours pump. This was definitely the most affordable electric double pump ($150) and it saw me through ALL the pumping I did for my son (13 months of it!). I'm getting ready to pull it out again for baby #2, though thankfully I won't be going back full time until he/she's 6 months old this time!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#8 of 19 Old 05-20-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
For occasional pumping, I'd suggest the Avent Isis- it's the absolute best hand pump I've ever used. It was all the pump I needed for working about 20 hours a week when DS was a baby.
I work FT and this is the only pump I use. I would recommend it for an occasional use. I like it because it is easy to set up and take apart, no plugs, and it is quiet. The only down side is the BPA in the bottles. I am still really aggrivated with avent about their answer to the concern about the bpa. I am looking to switch from avent bottles for storage but will still continue to use my pump. I had an ameda and liked it but I really like the flexibility that the hand pump gives me.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#9 of 19 Old 05-20-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post

There might be newer pumps that are just as good- I haven't needed a pump in 5 years, and it's been 6.5 years since I bought one!

I totally second that. I do not like my medela pump in style but I love my Avent. I've expressed 7 oz in 15 minutes from one side before.

my friend exclusively pumps and she brought her supply in with the electric avent pump.
#10 of 19 Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 PM

I know a lot of mamas who like the Lansinoh double electric pump (which is also marketed as the Ameda Purely Yours, I believe).

treehugger.gif
#11 of 19 Old 05-30-2008, 12:27 AM

I had the Medela PIS Advanced for work and liked it just fine. I had an Avent Isis with DS #1 (not working at the time) and LOVED it and still used it when I only needed to do one side at a time. Equally (and somewhat more) efficient for emptying my breast than the Medela.

To get around the BPA issue - Medela (I believe) sells bags that attach to the Medela flanges so you are able to pump directly into a bag and then you can freeze it, do whatever. I was able to easily attach it to the Avent and then didn't have to use the BPA filled Avent bottles. And the bags are convenient to just keep around or an extra few with the pump for the days when you drive off to work and leave the bottle at home by accident Much better than having to pump over a sink in the bathroom
#12 of 19 Old 05-30-2008, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The PJ Comfort Junior is honestly the best pump I have ever used. It is the only pump I have ever let down to. They have just raised the price to a ridiculous sum, but if you go onto "asklenore" dot com, there is a discount code you can use to take 25% off of the cost.

Like the newer pumps, the Comfort Jr has silicone phlanges...execpt with the OTHER pumps, the silicone covers a plastic phlange. In this pump, the only thing that touches your breast is the fully silicone phlange. And it feels like a baby suckleing. Really, increadibly cool.

AND it is a true hospital quality and multiple user pump (yes, a closed system, for real). Many people are able to recoup much of the cost of the unit when they are done using it because of this.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#13 of 19 Old 05-30-2008, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been EPing for 19 months with a Medela Pump-In-Style Advanced. This includes bringing in my supply and maintaining it

Angel Wife to Daniel Mama to Astrid (11/06) Leland (9/09)
#14 of 19 Old 05-31-2008, 11:14 PM

My clients and I LOVE the Medela PIS Advanced.

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#15 of 19 Old 06-06-2008, 01:09 AM

: I had a Medela Pump In Style 5 years ago with DS, but no matter when/where/how I pumped, I never got more than 4 or 5 ounces a day. Finally, DH accidentally stepped on and broke it, so I just gave up pumping when DS was about 3 months old. I WOH about 20 hours, 3 days a week, and expect DC #2 in October. Trying to decide whether or not to put a pump on our registry, and if so, which kind . . . .

Daughter since '68 ~Sister since '72 ~Wife since '97 ~ Mama since DS 5/03& DD 10/08
#16 of 19 Old 06-06-2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon View Post
To get around the BPA issue - Medela (I believe) sells bags that attach to the Medela flanges so you are able to pump directly into a bag and then you can freeze it, do whatever. I was able to easily attach it to the Avent and then didn't have to use the BPA filled Avent bottles. And the bags are convenient to just keep around or an extra few with the pump for the days when you drive off to work and leave the bottle at home by accident Much better than having to pump over a sink in the bathroom
Lansinoh bags work just as well for this and they're lots cheaper. Medela recently improved their bags. (I tried out a sample bag) But they're still not as good as the Lansinoh ones.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#17 of 19 Old 06-06-2008, 05:50 AM

How do you attach the Lanisoh bags? I can't figure that out.

Also, does anyone know if the Avent Isis pump (excluding the bottle) has BPAs?
#18 of 19 Old 06-06-2008, 05:38 PM

I had good luck with the Playtex Embrace. I liked it better than the PIS advance. I like the Avent isis for simplicity. I had two so that I could do both sides at once.
The Isis is made with polycarbonate plastic.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#19 of 19 Old 06-06-2008, 10:53 PM

I had both the Medela Pump in Style and an Ameda Purely Yours and I like the PY better. They were pretty comparable, but I thought the Ameda was just a bit more comfortable. Plus it's cheaper. For a handpump, I liked both the Avent Isis and the manual pump that came with the Ameda PY. I had a Medela handpump and didn't like it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page