? about length of stay with c-section, I want to be home soon after! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2008, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to bring this up to my ob... but I want some info first. My ds was a c-section and this one will be too. With ds1 I stayed for 2 nights, 3 days....

This time I want to go home after ONE night... like 24 hours. if not less. I will have my ds1 (2 yr old) at home and he still co sleeps and nurses and I know it will be so traumitizing for him for me to be gone that long. I am with him ALL the time. I nurse him to sleep ALL the time. I am so sad thinking of being away from him for a whole day! I certainly wont stay for 3!

ANyway... I was wondering what the different requirements are in other places.

Do you think there would be any way my ds could stay at the hospital with us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 08:32 PM

Talk to your OB, they can help you.
If you pay the difference for a private room you will be able to have rooming in with the baby and have more freedom with your other children.

Clinically I think you can go home once they take out the catheter and you pass gas and have a bowel movement. That could be 24 hours.

Drink a cup of black Starbucks coffee!
It works like magic to make you poop after a c/sec.

Legally you can leave anytime you want AMA (it will be against medical advice ). But you have the legal right to get up and leave against medical advice.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:36 PM

First section I left 48 hours later. Second section 36 hours. She was born at 11PM friday night I was home by noon sunday. If you can I would request stiches rather than staples it will save you a trip to the doc so sson after the baby is born.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
Old 05-21-2008, 08:50 PM

IMO, the scar stitches leave is usually beautiful and a much finer line.

I too think asking for stitches is a good idea (it also makes the doctor earn their money when they sew you up after surgery)
Old 05-22-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewi View Post
IMO, the scar stitches leave is usually beautiful and a much finer line.

I too think asking for stitches is a good idea (it also makes the doctor earn their money when they sew you up after surgery)
I could not agree with this more. My scar from the first section was awful and I had the staples. They were also very uncomfortable. Stiching me up the second time did take longer but the scar is so much better and post Op I was more comfortable.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
Old 05-22-2008, 12:41 PM

I had staples for my c/s (I requested stiches and was told that the doc would do what he wanted. Lovely.) It was actually ok. They took the staples out 2 days later and replaced with steri-strips, which is what I wore home. My scar is beautiful. I think you should be able to negotiate with your length of stay, but would be careful to make sure you have some extra help at home for the first week. You will NOT want to be the one getting up to do diaper changes etc for a while!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Old 05-25-2008, 02:44 PM

I got glued and steri stripped. Just a line, no railroad tracks. But its still a scar and still not pretty. Anyway, I went home within 36hours. I was GBS positive and they like to observe baby for at least 36 hours with that. I didn't have to poop first though (didn't poop till I was at home for a couple of days). Mainly just had to be doing well and able to get out of bed, pass gas, eat, ect. Make them take out the catheter asap so you can get out of bed and pee, the sooner you start moving around the better. Tell the doc you want to go home, and as long as you and baby are doing well they should let you. But you are going to have to prove it to them by walking around and taking care of yourself and baby.

Married the love of my life : on 3/18/06, SAHM to Livi 3/11/07 : and Eva 10/10/09 :
Old 05-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Banned

I had the c/s very early on Wednesday morning, and went home around 1 pm Friday. I was glad we stayed because I wasn't feeling so great. They kept threatening me with an enema to get me to poop and I told them they were effin crazy. I ended up passing gas late Wednesday afternoon and all was good. I told them there was no way I was getting an enema, I knew when I would need to poop.

Anyway. I think you should be upfront with the doctor right away and tell them your feelings.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:28 PM

I just had an amazing vbac but we discussed with our ob what a section would look like with him....

I had a super long stay with my first birth (there were some complications)...we ended up staying for 6 nights and I was losing my mind.

My ob said that he would send us home 24 hours after a section (assuming we had no complications) as I said we ended up with a wonderful vbac and we went home 12 hours later
Old 05-25-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy27 View Post

My ob said that he would send us home 24 hours after a section (assuming we had no complications) as I said we ended up with a wonderful vbac and we went home 12 hours later
Congrats on your VBAC, and hope you have the next one (if you want to) at home! Congrats again!
Old 05-26-2008, 03:45 PM

You might want to stay at least 24 hours for baby's sake. After a c/s they can have more fluid in their lungs and have a bit more trouble.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 05-26-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewi View Post

Legally you can leave anytime you want AMA (it will be against medical advice ). But you have the legal right to get up and leave against medical advice.
If you leave AMA then you have to realize you are responsible for the entire bill for you and baby. Your insurance/medicaid will not pay a dime.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 05-26-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
If you leave AMA then you have to realize you are responsible for the entire bill for you and baby. Your insurance/medicaid will not pay a dime.
Michelle,
Are you certain this applies to all situations and all Insurance companies ?
I was not aware of this six years ago when I took my then 16 yr old daughter AMA from a hospital.

I had no problem with the insurance company and never saw a bill. I also fired her private doctor when he said not to take her out AMA, I said thanks for your opinion, but you're no longer her doctor. I found another docotor and the next day brought her to another hospital. Maybe because i readmitted her to another hospital i did not have a problem?

For a new mom and newborn they can call CPS or start a court order to treat the minor if they are hell bent on doing something you don't want.

For a routine C/Sec and the mother does not want to stay too long, I'm sure It's better to figure out a solution with her doctor as i suggested to the original poster.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:28 AM

I went home at 36 hours after my c-section. I had staples, and I did go back into the office to have them taken out. It wasn't a big deal.

This time, however, if I end up with a c-section and if I have staples, I'll walk my dh through removing them instead of going back to the office. I can't quite imagine wrangling 2 kiddos to the doctor's office.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
I'm sure that greatly depends on the insurance or state. I left 7 hours PP AMA my insurance covered everything except our co-pay/deductible which was a grand total of $334 (total bill was over $5,000), insurance even reimbursed half of my midwife's fee 2 months after we submitted the claim.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

Old 05-29-2008, 12:17 AM

I would not leave sooner than 24 hours. Although nursing is so very important so is your health and the complications that can arise following major surgery usually take place in the first 24 hours. This isn't something you want to mess with.

If you have the option of a private room I think it would be worth it. We didn't have 'visiting hours' so dh spent the night in our room. I don't see why a special arrangement couldn't be made for your son to stay too. That's what portable cribs are for or he could sleep on the pull out with dh.

Hope all goes well!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

User Tag List