Mothering Forum banner

Why are they still called VBACs?

1K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  roadfamily6now 
#1 ·
Okay, so woman has a c-section. Then has a VBAC with no problems. Why are the births after that still called VBACs and treated like there's some huge issue? Isn't that first VBAC proof that the surgery was successful--that the uterus has regained its normal functioning?

#2 ·
I hear it and think of it as a badge of honor when a women has VBAC.

It was coined by a Nancy Wainer ( the author of "Silent knife", mom and midwife extraordinaire) it was invented by her, a mother warrior who had an unnecessary cesarean, and took back her births by having VBAC!

You never get rid of the fact that you had major abdominal surgery (Cesarean)to have one of your babies. It is forever part of your medical history.

#3 ·
Well, the uterine scar is still there and the surgery is a permanent part of your medical history so any birth following a c/s is just that, a birth after a c/s and (hopefully) a vbac. Unfortunately, some care providers are actually more leary of secondary vbacs since the scar has been "stressed" and so may not hold a second time. Which is ridiculous IMO but it's something I've heard from care providers in the past.

It stinks that this surgery can impact a woman's birth options for the rest of her life... here's hoping that we can change the birth culture enough that it wont make a difference in the options available to a birthing mama.

#4 ·
Because it's still a vaginal birth after a cesarean. It's also a vaginal birth after a vaginal birth after a cesarean, of course.

It does kind of boggle my mind that women get denied "VBACs" when they had 1 surgical birth then 2 or 3 or even more vaginal births. Of course anyone being denied vaginal birth makes my blood pressure go up and I start sputtering incoherently and/or declaiming revolution in iambic pentameter.

#5 ·
Does that happen with surgery on other muscles? Does someone have leg surgery and run a race and then the next race people are like "oh! Be careful you might rip open that scar!"? Or stomach surgery--"I know you got through stomach flu no problems, but you want to be sure not to eat too much if you're going to ride on a roller coaster."

VBAC is totally something to be proud of and I think women who have them should have the right to call as many of their subsequent births VBACs as they want to "show off" (not quite the right term, sounds too boastful) their accomplishment. It's just that it being the standard term for a birth after a VBAC is just so reflective of a lack of confidence in women's bodies.

#6 ·
My MIL had knee surgery and every winter her dr tells her to be careful and avoid strain on her knee (she is National Ski Patrol)... reminds her that her knee has a scar, it's not as strong as an unscarred knee, and if she insists on skiing he "wont be resposible" for the potential damage. It's been 8 years now and her knee has been fine, but it's the same lecture at every exam.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
Because it's still a vaginal birth after a cesarean. It's also a vaginal birth after a vaginal birth after a cesarean, of course.

So perhaps they should be called "VBAVBAVBACs," et cetera. Go ahead--say it out loud. That would be a "Veebuh-Veebuh-Veeback," and you know you want one. It would be sort of like earning your stripes, so to speak. "Oh, you had a VBAC? That's nice, but I had a Veebuh-Veeback, and in a few months I'll have had a Veebuh-veebuh-veeback."

It's late.:yawning:

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by redpajama View Post
So perhaps they should be called "VBAVBAVBACs," et cetera. Go ahead--say it out loud. That would be a "Veebuh-Veebuh-Veeback," and you know you want one. It would be sort of like earning your stripes, so to speak. "Oh, you had a VBAC? That's nice, but I had a Veebuh-Veeback, and in a few months I'll have had a Veebuh-veebuh-veeback."

That's great!

#9 ·
According to this study in

"Obstetrics & Gynecology 2008;111:285-291
C 2008 by The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists"

Secondary VBAC's are considered

"CONCLUSION: Women with prior successful VBAC attempts are at low risk for
maternal and neonatal complications during subsequent VBAC attempts. An
increasing number of prior VBACs is associated with a greater probability of
VBAC success, as well as a lower risk of uterine rupture and perinatal
complications in the current pregnancy. "

Dr. Brian M. Mercer, of Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio,
and colleagues studied the impact of prior vaginal birth after cesarean on
outcomes of attempted vaginal births in subsequent pregnancies in 13,532
women.
http://www.reuters.com/article/healt...56798020080205

Even ACOG considers Secondary VBAC as low risk.

#10 ·
Quote:

I know there's VBA2C or VBA3C or whatever. Is there maybe 1VBAC and 3VBAC and 2VBA2C or whatever? Granted, that does not translate to spoken out loud very well, either.

#12 ·
Quote:

I'm saying that in the rhythm of the Lone Ranger theme song.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momileigh View Post
You can never forget that a woman has had a caesarean. If, after a successful VBAC, you started treating her like she's never had a c/s, she could end up getting cytotec, which would be very dangerous.

That's just what springs to my mind.
Yeah, having it as a factor makes sense, but I still think more doctors should be willing to attend VBAVBACs [ (VBA)^2Cs?] even if they won't attend VBACs. Mind you, I've read plenty stories of women who were going for VBACs who had their doctors recommend induction at like 38 weeks--or even tell them that an induction was their only way not to have a repeat c-section.

#14 ·
once you have had major surgery on your uterus the scar tissue is there so
some of the issues stay the same- concern as to where implantation is and potential for placental accreta is increased no matter which pregnancy after the section - also there is decreased fertility, increased miscarriage rates with previous section, I also think that there is still the potential for a scar to dehis no matter which pregnancy after so if there are certain signs and symptoms to keep in mind.

yes I think that if you have major surgery on an organ- say bypass surgery- and you lived for a time after that- docs would mark that occurance - 1 year post bypass--- remarkable medical history is usually taken into account when caring for patients pregnancy or not...

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by paquerette View Post

I know there's VBA2C or VBA3C or whatever. Is there maybe 1VBAC and 3VBAC and 2VBA2C or whatever? Granted, that does not translate to spoken out loud very well, either.

This is correct. It is referred to as 2VBAC and 3VBAC, etc.

Women talking about all of their subsequent births as VBAC's are helpful to other women who have had cesareans and also birth professionals (anyone), because it helps others understand that they are in fact possible. Being treated differently after a sucessful VBAC is something that our culture has to continue to work towards changing.

I believe that it is a badge of honor to attempt a VBAC, not only to be successful at it.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Yeah, having it as a factor makes sense, but I still think more doctors should be willing to attend VBAVBACs [ (VBA)^2Cs?] even if they won't attend VBACs.
Oh, absolutely. I mean, I think it is just plain stupid that OB's are afraid to do something that I would do in a heartbeat. I've been to enough VBACs that I just don't understand the fear at all.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by crescentmoonmama View Post
According to this study in

"Obstetrics & Gynecology 2008;111:285-291
C 2008 by The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists"

Secondary VBAC's are considered

"CONCLUSION: Women with prior successful VBAC attempts are at low risk for
maternal and neonatal complications during subsequent VBAC attempts. An
increasing number of prior VBACs is associated with a greater probability of
VBAC success, as well as a lower risk of uterine .....
Ummmm.... Wouldn't that be a successful VBAC? It's no longer an "attempt" once it's been DONE... geez but I hate medical lingo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.