Becoming a Doula - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-21-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really wanting to start training for birth and post partum doula, breastfeeding counselor and childbirth educator.

My initial internet search led me to CAPPA, DONA, ALCEA, Childbirth International, and Birth Arts International.

I'm overwhelmed. I definately want to get this done somewhere between having baby #2, single parenting because DH travels a lot with his job and being in law school. Time and money are big considerations for me right now especially since we are a one-income family. Also a program that would allow me to do some work on my own or online would be great.

Any recs on which program I should use/ avoid. I'm in Tampa Bay, FL if that makes a difference.

Thanks
#2 of 13 Old 05-21-2008, 11:29 PM

I went with CBI because I like their distance option. I also liked their philosophy.

ETA: If you go with CBI, they will be starting a lactation counselor certification in the fall. You do all of your training with one group.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#3 of 13 Old 05-22-2008, 12:43 AM

Wow - that's a lot on your plate all at one time. May I ask why you want to do it all at once instead of one at a time? I did my childbirth education with a small, local childbirth group, then cross-certiified with I.C.E.A. I'm currently certifying as a birth doula with DONA. What's really been great is getting involved with a local doula group. If there's one in your area, you should really check them out.
#4 of 13 Old 05-22-2008, 07:40 AM

Hey your near me! Look up Janice Banther, with For the Love of Birth, I believe she is having another doula training the bay area this summer. She's an AMAZING trainer and I really gained a LOT from her wisdom and experience! We will also be have a Child Birth Educator Training in Largo in July!! Send me a private message for me details! Both these trainings are with CAPPA!

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#5 of 13 Old 05-22-2008, 11:51 AM

If you go with CBI, they consolidate the course work if you take multiple courses so that you don't have to repeat assignments.
#6 of 13 Old 05-22-2008, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancynance View Post
Wow - that's a lot on your plate all at one time. May I ask why you want to do it all at once instead of one at a time? I did my childbirth education with a small, local childbirth group, then cross-certiified with I.C.E.A. I'm currently certifying as a birth doula with DONA. What's really been great is getting involved with a local doula group. If there's one in your area, you should really check them out.
It's not that I want to do it all at once. I just thought it would be better to have all the trainings with one organization. And hopefully would like to be done by the time I graduate in Dec 2010.
#7 of 13 Old 05-24-2008, 03:55 AM

I am currently trying to find the right avenue to become a doula as well. I know the doula I used at my son's birth is certified through DONA.

This is probably a stupid question, but what is a Childbirth Educator? I mean, would there be like a classroom type of setting or would you give seminars... or what? I'm curious, that might be something I'd like to do too.
#8 of 13 Old 05-24-2008, 04:27 AM

A childbirth educator usually teaches prenatal classes in a private or hospital setting. They also may offer breastfeeding or parenting classes.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#9 of 13 Old 05-25-2008, 01:26 AM

Well, if you actually want to do all of those trainings and do them with one organization, then I think CBI is likely your best bet. That said, I can not imagine actually doing all of those things really. I work as a labor and postpartum doula and will likely to the CLC class in the future. It would be hard for me to also teach childbirth ed classes because I am so busy with the other work already. I know other labor doulas who also do childbirth ed, but to do all three would mean being very busy of taking a very small client load to balance all the various activities.

Good luck!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#10 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 09:23 PM

it's NOT hard to do it all--just hard to do it all at once. I have/am doing it but I didn't do all the trainings at once. And when I'm doing birth support I can't also take PP clients, and when I'm doing a class it's a bit tricky to also be on call for births (not too bad though as they all understand...). But teaching classes and also doing PP support do work well because they are scheduled times.

I dono. I think it would work well if you are part of a team. Is there anyone you like that has the same goals?

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#11 of 13 Old 05-28-2008, 03:11 AM

Hi slmtoya and others,

I don't wanna steal your thread but i have some doula-questions as well...

I wanna become a doula as well.
I really need a distance learning program so that brought me to CBI, but today I found (through this thread) that Birth Arts int. provides distance learning programmes as well.
They seem to be a bit more thorough and a little cheaper, but I don't know if the offer discounts like CBI does if you want to start another course.

CBI tells us something about their philosopy and BAI doesn't. who knows more about this?

i've already heard good things about CBI but is there anyone who followed a distance study program with Birth arts? what are your experiences?

tia!
#12 of 13 Old 05-28-2008, 03:22 AM

I am with BAI for the CBE program and Demetria and the others are great. There are some Podcasts here that you can listen to. Maybe that will give you a better idea of their philosophy - http://www.birtharts.com/podcasts.htm You could call them or email them to ask more specific questions. They would be happy to answer them I am sure.
#13 of 13 Old 05-28-2008, 06:27 AM

Thanks! I listened to it and it´s an interesting podcast!
But i´m still doubting on which of the 2 schools to choose!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page