sagittal suture at birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-22-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've googled this but can't find anything, so this might be a dumb question. Is there a "normal" size for the sagittal suture (between the anterior and posterior fontanelles) at birth?

My dd was born at 36.5 weeks by EDD based on LMP, but that was my one and only period between ds's birth and my pregnancy with her, so I'm assuming that date was just off even though it seemed like a normal period. But I was surprised that I could run my thumb between the 2 plates on the top of her skull when she was born and don't remember that with my other 2 kiddos (but I do tend to have a bad memory for things like that). Now she's 3 weeks and there's barely any gap there.

Just curious.
#2 of 3 Old 05-29-2008, 11:32 PM

Anne Frye states in Holistic Midwifery that the sagittal sutures are 3mm to 17mm at term. Sounds like your baby had not gotten too far in the ossification before birth so there was more of a gap. Isn't it wild how the body works?! Thanks for the question! It makes studying this stuff easier to relate it to real life.~Terri
#3 of 3 Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 PM

My DS had this as well... went home from hospital normal head.. get home... huge gaping "hole in his head' ok so I was exaggerating a bit. Our MW seen it.. totally normal... ped ended up seeing it as well again normal. If your worried see your ped.

Mama to a zoo!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page