The time has come... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2008, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Naked Baby is 14.5 months old, and we've started lying him down when he's asleep for naps sometimes (or slipping away if I nurse him to sleep in the bed). : Which means I actually have time to myself when I can study again! Woohoo! But I'm sitting here contemplating which way to go, and I was telling my partner that I don't really feel like finishing the intro course I had been working on, because if I'm going to do a paper with sources, I want to write the article about correlative v. causative risk that's been bumping around in my brain for, lemme think, three years?, and he tells me I should do it. Me: "What, and then I can enroll in another course?" Him: "Yup! Write that article first, and then enroll in the one you want."

So that's that. I guess I need to get writing! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
I want to write the article about correlative v. causative risk that's been bumping around in my brain for, lemme think, three years?
Hi,
What is correlative v. causative all about?
Birth? breastfeeding? parenting? Please tell, my inquiring mind wants to know what you're talking aobut.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yay, Arwyn! How exciting.

I wanna read when you're done!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 05-28-2008, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

It's about all of the above -- any time we're assessing risk factors, for birth or anything, we need to distinguish whether the "risk category" is causative (that is, smoking CAUSES damage to the placenta) or correlative (that is, obesity is statistically associated with poor diet and high blood pressure, but when not presenting comorbidly with those conditions does not appear to significantly increase risk of adverse outcome).

It's a response to an article on risk assessment I read a few years ago in a Midwifery Today, but the thinking behind it is applicable to anywhere we assess risks. I should probably start by finding that issue of MT!

Courtenay - you got it!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So what course are you finishing up and what to do you want to do next?

I started a nutrition class by correspondence 5 years ago that I really should finish up before taking on midwifery

(And I love your siggy... how could you not do your kegels after seeing that!)

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 05-29-2008, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

I started doing AAMI's Introduction to Midwifery course in 2004 - granted, the very end of 2004, but still, that's a long time to be working on a six-month course. I mostly finished it, but the parts left are things that, hm, don't appeal much to me (like taking notes on The Birth Partner, a book that annoys me so much to read now I spend the whole time looking like this : ). Long term, I want to do either AAMI (because it best reflects my philosophy of know lots, do little) or Birthingway College (because I think I learn better in a classroom environment, and it's here in Portland), but I'm not able to do a huge financial commitment right now, and I'm years away (I think) from being ready to apprentice -- right now, I can't imagine leaving my little one overnight. So I'm contemplating something like Midwife To Be, just to give me some direction for my studies, although I might just pickup the Birthsong Midwifery Workbook first.

Anyway. I obviously am not yet settled in my next step. Except I started working on research for the article last night! I found the issue of MT I was looking for. : It was the one that had the article in which I first fell in love with pamamidwife.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and thanks for the sig love. People keep commenting on it -- I keep thinking about changing it, because I am not normally a smilie sig type person, but so many people have thanked me for it, I'm afraid to take it away.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:50 AM

I finished ITM about 3 days before my twins were born... I told myself I had to finish it first... maybe that's what kept them in until almost 38 weeks!

BUt yes, that assignment was the worst! I'd already read the book and it was OK. What I ended up doing taking notes was to write the page # and a quick line for everything I didn't already know. Since I'm a doula, there was maybe 5 pages of notes. Mostly of stuff I'd forgotten or of little facts I thought was interesting.

I looked into the MTB program but it wasn't my thing. I love AAMI's philosophy.

And I : Pamamidwife too!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

What about the MTB program put you off? Are you doing AAMI right now?

I tried to make myself finish the ITM program while pregnant, but I just couldn't (you'd think with the ITM director as one of my midwives, I'da had enough motivation, but no!).
Old 05-30-2008, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
First off, who doesn't pamamidwife!

I looked at going to Birthingway College as well (seriously looked, sold our house and moved out there and everything!), but went with AAMI. I feel very much that I made the right choice for me. I also do feel that I learn better in classroom settings, but AAMI fit all my other needs better.

I have not always been the most motivated student and sometimes have needed a swift kick in the backside to get moving again, but I feel that everything I do and learn will benefit me.... even the things that I don't really want to have to do.

Oh, and it is also a program you can do without an apprenticeship at the same time, so that is a great option if you want to start something but don't feel that you will be ready for apprenticeship anytime real soon.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Oh man, like I needed another twist in the arm to go for AAMI! EVERYONE I know who's doing it has said great things, my tied-for-favorite midwife is graduating soon and recommends it, it totally meshes best with my philosophy, so why am I so hesitant??
Old 05-30-2008, 02:20 AM

Twist twist twist

I was hesitant because A) you pay up front and B) it's a HARD program!

But I was never one to run from a good challenge.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

I think my hesitations have to do with the, hm, marketing-ness of the organization (Carla, bless her heart, reminds me of middle management sales, which kinda makes me run the other way), the obfuscation of what's it in and how it works, the upfront-payment, and the hints I've gotten from ITM that my organizational and learning styles may not mesh (and I'd really hate to pay $3500 for the privilege of finding that out!). The whole it-takes-half-a-year to get the actual curriculum is kinda weird, too.

But the philosophy, the self-pacing (which is also potentially a bad thing! ), the thoroughness, and the love almost everyone who's done it (whether or not they've finished) has for it totally makes me want to go for it.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
To be totally honest, I finally skipped the organizational stuff. It was driving me freakin nuts. I couldn't work my brain the same way, it didn't make sense to me at all. It was delaying my orientation going in. Finally I just decided I would do it my way and I am enjoying it much more since then.

I understand some of your other points as well. I didn't enroll for the longest time based on some of those things. ONce I actually started talking to people though who did AAMI, I started to get a feel that everyone I spoke to felt that the education was well worth the money, that it was a totally legit program, and I would probably love it.

I can't tell you that it would be the best fit for you, but I can tell you that I am satisfied with it.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Congrats on feeling ready to keep moving towards midwifery. I don't have any practical advice, because I am training in Canada, but it seems the others do!

I mostly posted to say I would LOVE to read your article when it's finished (I am patient!) as this is something that I think and wonder about often in my work!

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
I think my hesitations have to do with the, hm, marketing-ness of the organization (Carla, bless her heart, reminds me of middle management sales, which kinda makes me run the other way), the obfuscation of what's it in and how it works, the upfront-payment, and the hints I've gotten from ITM that my organizational and learning styles may not mesh (and I'd really hate to pay $3500 for the privilege of finding that out!). The whole it-takes-half-a-year to get the actual curriculum is kinda weird, too.

But the philosophy, the self-pacing (which is also potentially a bad thing! ), the thoroughness, and the love almost everyone who's done it (whether or not they've finished) has for it totally makes me want to go for it.
I don't want to sway you either way, because whatever you decide has to be right for you. But, I wanted to say that it doesn't have to take 1.5 years to get the curriculum. It is up to you on how long it takes to finish your orientation. When I enrolled (um, 7 years ago ), the curriculum was mailed at the beginning along with the orientation. It still took me almost 1.5 years to turn in my orientation, but only because I was seriously procrastinating. The reason they changed the timing of when the curriculum gets mailed out is that it has seriously reduced the number of people who 'dropped out', cause people would get the curriculum right at the beginning and be totally frozen with fear and never get anywhere.

And, I totally agree about the organizational thing: it has to be what works for you! But that's the beauty of AAMI, imo. You can make it work for you, what works for your brain.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
Old 05-30-2008, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Arwyn...I am making monthly payments. There are a few "big" payments that you have to make on top of those...but otherwise...there is NO WAY I would have been able to ever take an official course if I had had to pay a large chunk upfront. I'd ask Carla about payments, if you think that AAMI is how you want to go.

(just another person not trying to sway you...)

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

User Tag List