Doula training in New York City - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-28-2008, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello everyone!

i've made the decision to start working towards being certified as a birth doula - i think i've pretty much decided to go with DONA for certification. now i'm trying to choose a birth doula workshop in the NYC area. does anyone have any experience with doula training in NYC? the ones currently being offered are listed here. is anyone familiar with any of the workshop leaders listed? are there certain people whose approach you liked best? i would love to hear your thoughts!

also, if you work in the NYC area as a birth doula, i'd love to hear more about your experiences more generally!

thanks in advance.
#2 of 8 Old 05-28-2008, 08:46 PM

Theey are all great but I would go with Natashia or Ilana if I had to pick one. I work in NYC - Brooklyn mostly - ask anything you would like.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#3 of 8 Old 05-29-2008, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the response!

a couple more questions...

how did you go about getting your births for certification? (assuming you're certified).

are you involved with the metropolitan doula group, or any other local doula groups?

thanks!
#4 of 8 Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 PM

I am certified and I got my certifying births through friends and connections mostly. I am on the Metro Doula yahoo group but not a paid member. You can subscribe now and you might also be able to get certifying births through other doulas. I keep a list of volunteer doulas in training to give to people when they contact me for very low fee or free doula services. You can also put a post on belly women to advertise for low cost doula services.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#5 of 8 Old 05-30-2008, 09:55 AM

I second everything that Megan said.
I too would also go with Natashia or Ilana.

Sign on to the Metro Doula Yahoo email group, they list requests from clients who want doulas looking to attend birth for certification for a low fee or volunteer opportunities almost daily. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/metrodoulagroup/

If you pay to become a member you will also get in addition the private listings for members only for volunteer, and low paying clients.
It is worth the small fee to be a member.

They also have monthly meeting in downtown manhattan. Go to thoses and meet other doula and let people know you are available. You do not have to be a member to attend the monthly meeting.

http://www.metrodoula.com/meetings.htm
#6 of 8 Old 05-31-2008, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions, i'm going to sign up for the yahoo group now!
#7 of 8 Old 08-29-2013, 11:00 PM

I personally prefer Momdoulary training - you get 6 certifications in one, so you can do more with it.  Plus they give you a lot more training, 20 weeks versus one weekend, and they give you the business tools with all the digital files of client handouts, recordkeeping tools, set you up with a website and give you a mentor.  I feel like there's a lot more support. Plus the free annual convention in NY for their graduates and the app they have etc.   I don't know. I just want to feel like I've got people seriously on my side.  

#8 of 8 Old 08-29-2013, 11:01 PM

Oh. Now I see this is a really old thread :(  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page