low amniotic fluid - help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really sorry for the cross-post (also in I'm Pregnant forum) but I'm hoping someone has some experience or suggestions..professionals? - I am scared and short of time.

hi there
i am nearly 36 weeks pregnant and am borderline oligohydramnios. I drank a ton of fluids per my midwife's advice and still the fluid level dropped over the last week from 7.something to 5.9. I have to return next week for another u/s check - if it drops below 5.0, they will induce immediately direct from appt. I REALLY do not want to be induced at 36.5 wks. Other than drinking lots of fluids, does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions??? I'm scared.

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have heard anecdotally that consumption of stevia can increase AFI. Also tub baths. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2008, 03:37 PM

One other thing that can help is swimming. The important things are that your body is submerged totally and that you are moving. The pressure of the water pushes extra water from your tissues into your bloodstream where it is more available for making amniotic fluid.

I sometimes also give women homeopathic natrum muriaticum 200c, 3 times a week for one week. If you can't find 200c, you can try 30c and take it once a day for one week.

Good luck~!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynnMarilynn View Post
I have heard anecdotally that consumption of stevia can increase AFI. Also tub baths. Good luck!
I too have heard this and did it while my sac was ruptured and I waited four days for birth. Had plenty of fluid all four days so maybe it worked.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:46 PM

Interesting. Evan was born w/ no fluid, but it was something we didn't know till labor. This was after having TONS of fluid w/ AJ. Best wishes on your upcoming birth and I hope it's still several weeks away!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 05-29-2008, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the comments - i really appreciate them. I guess I'll drop into my local gym and go for a swim. Also, for the stevia, I already use a tiny amount in my rrl tea but how much would you recommend? It's so concentrated! Straight up?

thanks

And incidentally, the only way they found out about the low fluid was I was at risk for placenta previa before so they scheduled an u/s for that at 34 weeks. Luckily not an issue any longer but now I have this issue! I wondered about that too - if I hadn't had that u/s, they wouldn't have ever known this to be an issue. grrr. But if it is a true risk for the baby, I guess it's good to catch. tricky.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:21 PM

I went into ptl at 34 wks and I can't help but wonder if I didn't somehow have a small leak or something no one caught? I don't know. All things ended well though and I made sure to have them check Ilana w/ my 33wk u/s and she was born in plenty of fluid as well.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 06-01-2008, 12:51 AM

With my last baby, I started having fluid issues at about 37 weeks. I had a NST, and my AFI was 5. They freaked out, started threatening induction, and told me to come back in two days. They told me to pack my bags and prepare to stay, that once levels get this low they never go back, etc etc. It was a real picture of doom and gloom, and I was flipped out.

I spent the next two days drinking as much as I possibly could, and keeping my fingers crossed. The next MST had my fluid levels at an 11- they were flabbergasted and couldn't figure out how my fluid levels had changed. They told me I still needed to come back, because they weren't sure that everything was going okay.

I went back twice a week for the next three weeks. My fluid fluctuated, but never got lower than a 6. the tests are subjective, and there could be hidden pockets of fluid that people aren't finding. Hang in there- drink lots of water, stay relaxed, pay attention to your kick counts, and don't let them bully you into something without a real reason!

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to give an update because I'm so grateful for the advice on this board! Fluid level was 7.5 2 weeks ago and even though I was drinking a "lot" of water (not keeping track) it fell the next week to 5.9, and they intended to induce yesterday if the u/s showed AFI below 5.0. Well, all week I drank a gallon of water per day, in addition sometimes coconut water or Gatorade, took tub soaks or went to the pool at my gym and paddled around, took stevia with my RRL tea or cereal/oatmeal (already did but not in the recent weeks), took it really easy (not usual for me and HARD!) and took natrum muriaticum 200c 3 times a week. AND, my fluid level went up to 8.0, higher than it was 2 weeks ago. My midwives were surprised and so pleased and I have to say, so was I and DH! Bought me some time and no induction! Well, next week I will have another u/s to check it so I guess this will be a weekly thing until 1) I go into labor or 2) they induce.

Defenestrator, would you recommend taking the natrum muriaticum for more than one week to help or no? Not sure which of the many things I did helped the most but I'm planning on doing the same thing for the next week to keep levels up.

Thanks so much for the posts!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:22 PM

Hi --

What I would recommend, if you can get it is to go to the store and get low potency nat mur (anything that ends in an x, ideally 6x) and take it daily from now until you have your baby. There is a danger if you continue to take the high potency that your body will have an opposite reaction to it (shedding water instead of keeping it) but with the low potency there is no danger.

Keep on swimming too! I think it really does help.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.

User Tag List