D&C when are they needed? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-29-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies I'm a pregnant doula about 12 weeks along and I hang out on a couple DDC. I've never experienced a miscarriage before but on DDC there are plenty. I keep seeing people talk about getting a D&C, and I always wonder if these are at all necessary. I always figured your body would just birth the baby, and I know some women opt for this, so are D&C's just some over used routine non evidence based procedures that doc's just like to do? I'm guessing that sometimes they have to be done in certain circumstances but routine use is probably just another thing to charge insurance companies for.

Sorry if I sound so negative.... it's just frustrating hanging around DDC's and watching women have routine procedures done to them that makes them so frustrated and unhappy

Sav
#2 of 4 Old 05-29-2008, 04:13 PM

I'm not so sure it's the procedure that makes them so unhappy as much as it is the fact that they're having they're losing their baby to miscarriage. I've had 2 miscarriages that ended with d&c's after my body failed to recognize many weeks later that the baby had passed. Some women choose to have them because the thought of prolonging a pregnancy that has ended is too much to handle. There are many reasons to have them.. some personal, some medical. Sometimes a person has one if a miscarriage hasn't completed itself and the bleeding is excessive. I think having a d&c is a personal decision, and a woman always has the right to say "no thank you" and pass the pregnancy on her own if she chooses to wait.
I'm just speaking from personal experiences when I say that the d&c itself wasn't what made me unhappy, it's the frustration and grief from the miscarriage and my body's inability to pass the baby on it's own.

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#3 of 4 Old 05-29-2008, 04:56 PM

I've had two miscarraiges, two d&c's. My first m/c was at 10-11 weeks. I started bleeding on a Saturday, and went to the ER. They couldn't give me a conclusive answer (or didn't want to,) and sent me home. The next day, a Sunday, I started bleeding heavily, passing clots, and hemmoraging. I was losing huge amounts of blood, and by the time we got back to the hospital, I was very close to passing out from blood loss. They did a d&c right there in the ER to finish the process and stop the hemmoraging.

My most recent m/c was in 2007. I was 13 weeks pregnant when I found out that I wasn't actually carrying a fetus, it was a blighted ovum. I was working with a homebirth midwife, and given lots of options, including waiting it out, or working with an ob to do the d&c. Because of my previous history, and because my body was showing no signs of miscarrigae, I opted for a d&c in a controlled environment, under genral anesthesia, so I knew that I wouldn't have to go through the drama of another emergency hemmorage, d&c or whatever.

IMO, women dealing with the loss of a pregnancy should be presented with all their options, then left to make the decisions by themselves. are d&c's always medically necessary? Probably not. But could they be necessary for a woman's emotional health and greiving process? Absolutely. And I think that's just as valid a reason as a medical one, especially when you're talking about something as potentially painful as a miscarriage.

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#4 of 4 Old 05-29-2008, 05:01 PM

i think they are way over used. i also think that many women opt for an D&C when it isnt medically needed just to get it over with.

The body isnt going to fail you and never miscarry. But it can take quite some time that some people arent willing to wait if they find out the baby has already passed. these days with so may early ultrasounds, that is happening often.

for those that dont have all the early testing done, and miscarry at, say, 12 weeks, they say "i had a miscarriage at 12 weeks". but the baby most likely passed much earlier than that, they just didnt know it.

I think it can be much harder on women knowing so far ahead that baby maybe didnt make it passed 6 weeks and here they have to wait another 6.
anyhow, that was alot of rambleing.

D&C is used when a miscarriage doesnt completely clear itself on its own. this can cause excessive bleeding that a D&C can help resolve. This seems to be more common than it seems it should be.

some women think automatically, they start bleeding, sure its a miscarriage, they HAVE to go in for a D&C, which is obviously not true,and can be more tramatic for the mother.

So I guess, yes, i feel it is over used, but i think it is a combination of the medical world taking the easy managed way of handling things and the choices women make in dealing with the process.

eta: i didnt mean to sound like women shouldnt make that choice if it isnt needed. I think women should be informed of there choices and be aloud to make what ever decision is best for them, including mental, emotional and physical health. for some the wait and process is too hard, for others it is a bit of closure.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page