Doulas... CBEs... anyone... thoughts on my webpage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2008, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just published my site... it my first time doing this, since taking a basic HTML class 10 years ago in college... LOL darn, newfangled internet stuff! Anyway, it took me a week to get it done even with a fancy editor doing all the work.

Please, I need feedback...

Readability, content, too much or too little of something... etc?

http://www.birthinggarden.com

any tips on when you are "new" to an area on how to get "involved" with the community? i grew up here, but have been away for five years. i have a small circle of friends who are done having kids

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 05:03 PM

It looks great! It certainly puts my website to shame

Wife, Mother and Doula.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 PM

"I provide a free, no-obligation meeting so we can get to know each other and see if my experience is a match for your needs. I encourage you to meet with more than one doula and take your time making this very important decision."

I would cut this and put at the end that you offer a free initial meeting and to call or email to schedule. I also disagree with encouraging folks to interview multiple people. I like to encourage folks to follow their instincts and hire the person they meet if they like them. (I don't say this on my web site at all). I think saying you encourage people tin interview multiple people does not sound confident enough.

When I clicked resources it took me to some crazy place. Not sure what happened there.

Also, under your name it says "HCHI". I have no idea what this means and neither will clients. If it means something, tell us what - spell it out.

I am http://brooklyn-doula.com and you will see I always write out professionally trained doula rather than CD because these acronyms mean nothing to our clients. Something to consider.

Overall the site looks great and I think you did a terrific job. After you get some client feedback, you might have a section for that.

As for finding clients and networking -- take your cards into places where pg women are and introduce yourself. Be confident and tell folks about your services. Introduce yourself to people who run local stores and ask to put up your flyers or ads. Find other local doulas and network with them.

Good luck!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the advice and encouragement. i will clarify and add those things. i am not sure about taking out the part about interviewing a lot of people... this seems to be somewhat standard for DONA doula pages... because of where I live, I am probably going with them- I purchased the cert pkg.

Working on b-cards. That clip art site I linked to the bottom of my page has a ton of nice graphics. I wish I could decide on one for my card I like them all too much. i think i am obsessed with pregnant-belly photos

Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 PM

I have never noticed the interviewing lots of people stuff on the websites of the DONA doulas who I know, but perhaps it is standard. Careful using clip art for your cards and sites. At least here in NYC, I see many doulas with the same images and from a marketing standpoint, that is a huge bummer. With less doulas there, it might not be an issue, but the Vistaprint cards, for example, get way over used around here.

Good luck!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:09 AM

Nice and soothing. I almost used the babywearing pic the other night, it's also on istock - still might use it We're miles away though so that's ok! Great work.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:34 PM

I agree with brooklyn doulas comments.
I like your website. Sometimes I find doula websites to be rediculously corny. Your's isn't. Good luck!

i am in the process of working on my website. I will post it when it is done.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:40 PM

A good way to get involved is by finding your local LLL. I know that during the meetings, technically there isn't supposed to be talk of things besides breastfeeding, but afterward i have find it to be fair game. If you can find one woman with a doula/NCB supportive doc/mw, you can contact them for further contact info.

Good luck getting your business established!

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:58 PM

I adore the name "Birth Garden" use it! Brand yourself.
Invest in a logo and stationary and real business cards. It does matter!

Here is a very good example from a colleague's website http://www.healthyseedlings.com/home.html and how she uses a very name similar to yours to to tie in with an identity and for marketing.

You also have a brilliant business name that you need to take advantage of. Use seedlings, flowers, buds, trees as metaphor for your "birth garden" and business identity (that is the name you choose!) I would love to see less generic pregnant mother and baby pictures and more pics that tie into your "birth garden".

I agree with Brooklyn doula that it is definitely unnecessary for you to mention clients can interview other doulas. Clients know that and it reads weirdly to see that on a business website. I would interpret it as inexperienced and unprofessional. It makes me think why would someone say that to refer away from their business.

You can always say that at the interview.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:10 PM

DONA doulas often have that bit on their website because its a sort of DONA philosophy. However, its your business; DONA is an organization, you are a business.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for the wonderful thoughts!

I am totally into branding... I just haven't been able to get any photos or graphics done personally. I'm hoping that someone will want to barter for services! I was so tickled that this name was available- it was my first choice.

OMGosh... that healthyseedlings site is gorgeous! Just the kind of thing I am hoping to do eventually. This was my initial get-it-up-to-get-some-clients effort My DH is watching my "birth hobby" spending add up and is ready to make some back... haha. I keep telling him that it is a tax write-off

User Tag List