how can I get midwife suggestions after losing my midwife? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-30-2008, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a wonderful midwife whom I was seeing in preparations for a HB but my plans have been drastically changed because I'm moving. So I'm going to see my old OB again in the town I'm moving back to and having a hospital birth instead. I saw so many differences in the type of care with my midwife and I especially liked the suggestions she made as far as supplements when I would have problems like over active BH's early on, etc. How can I get these types of suggestions, like what to take when I'm getting closer to my due date to tone my uterus and things like that? Are there any books? I know about the RRL tea, and she also said that she suggests mamas taking...hmmm...forgot the name at the moment but it is something green, and it has lots of vitamin k so that the baby's won't need vitamin k at birth. I don't think it's spirulina, but it's something along those lines. Anyways, these are the types of info I'd love to still have but won't with my OB. And I wouldn't feel right calling her up to ask for her help when I'm not seeing her anymore. Does anyone know how I can still have midwife like care without my midwife?
#2 of 8 Old 05-30-2008, 06:28 PM

is there a reason you cant find a midwife close to you to see for the rest of the pregnancy? That woudl be my suggestion. And I wouldnt dismiss talking to the one you were seeing about keeping in touch. Seems to me that she woudl still be willing to keep communiction with you about such things.

really though, switching plans to a hospital birth with an OB is HUGE. I would really do some research into the area, and nearby places. where are you located?

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#3 of 8 Old 05-30-2008, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Jill Romm would be a good place to start...

But I also would strongly suggest finding a midwife in your area. At the very least you might find a doula in your area to have somewhat of the same kind of relationship with the birthworker who is attending you!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#4 of 8 Old 05-30-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

well I am going to be giving birth in L.A. with the OB that attended my last two births. I have always had a hospital birth and this time was going to be my first HB. I thought about finding a midwife in L.A. but decided not to because my dh and I and the kids will be staying with my parents until the baby comes. I don't feel comfortable enough to give birth in my parents home with my 2 brothers there. I would feel like I'm on display in a way and also like I can't be myself. I'd be as quiet as possible when I might not want to be quiet, etc. So I am planning on laboring at my parents home as long as I'm comfortable there and then going to the hospital. My OB is about the best OB you can have for an OB. He supported my VBAC 100% and did a great job with my dd who needed to be delivered by an emergency c-section a few years back. So if anything, I feel more comfortable with him than with a new midwife whom I've never met , because I have such a long history with him. I would just like to keep imformed about natural treatments that seem to be the norm with midwives.
#5 of 8 Old 05-30-2008, 08:48 PM

i see what your saying. i did that with my 3rd baby as well, really liked my dr, so on. i regreted it. different birth, different baby, and it was a fight all the way.

anyhow, there are plenty of resources in your area, midwives,freestanding birth centers (at least a couple), and doulas.

consider talking with some doulas, you may find one that will work with whatever you are wanting from her, whether its the full service of a birth doula, or just informational support. good luck to you!!! Hope you get excatly the birth you want

and dont forget, you can always come here with your questions too

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#6 of 8 Old 06-01-2008, 12:01 PM

If the Midwives Model of Care is something you desire, you have every right to have that. Interview midwives in you area and chose one that promises to follow that. Doulas can be great advocates in helping you find what you deserve. Make sure your doula and/or midwife is well connected, and you will have access to any care you need. Good luck! Happy birthing!

Lovin' my babes and my bubbah-wubs hearts.gif

#7 of 8 Old 06-01-2008, 04:01 PM

Alfalfa capsules.
#8 of 8 Old 06-01-2008, 11:15 PM

There is a birth center in LA, isn't there? I would look into that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page