Pubic Symphisis pain well postpartum (sorry didn't know where to post) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-01-2008, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I had no clue where to post this. It's not a *pregnancy* issue, but it's a resultant of pregnancy.

I had PSD with my second. It wasn't major, but it was definite. I saw a chiro and it helped. Ever since DS2 was born my pubic symphasis has been sensitive. He is 1 now. Any time anything bumps up against it I feel shock waves of pain thru my body. For the first time in a while I went lap swimming and doing the breaststroke kick and the elementary backstroke kick caused a feeling of DEFINITE seperate at my pubic symphisis. Is this something I just need to live with? Will excersize make it go away? Time? What do I need to know?

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 06-01-2008, 12:57 AM

not a BP but your post caught my eye as I have this problem too, and my dd is 2yo. I see a chiropractor routinely, if I leave it longer than 10 days my pelvis starts to twist again and I have both PSD and sacro-illiac problems. The left side of my pelvis literally twists forward. The chiro really helps, but she told me I also need to work on stretching my soaz (sorry, that's for sure spelled wrong) muscle out. Essentially that muscle runs from the inside front of your pelvic bones through and attaches in your leg. A fairly simple stretch is to lie on the edge of your bed on your back and let your leg dangle off the side. But I highly recommend chiro for this...
xo

eta - I should tell you it IS better than it was. For the first year it was terrible, and over time, and increased activity (especially dance & yoga) it has improved. It still feels unstable - if I carry something heavy I can feel the 2 sides of the pubic bone wagging back and forth as I walk. But it's definitely slowly getting better.
#3 of 13 Old 06-01-2008, 02:11 AM

Well, I am not a BP, but I suffer from PSD, so your post caught my eye as it did the PP.
A book that I HIGHLY recommend is "Relieving Pelvic Pain" by Cecile Rost. She thoroughly explains what is going on and how to correct it. One thing that really stands out to me that relates EXACTLY to your situation is that Rost says in her book that a major portion of her patients who have this problem at one time in their lives (anytime of their lives) were very active swimmers.
You mentioned that you felt this pain a lot when you swim and she says it has something to do with how close together the legs are when certain muscles are used for kicking. It seems to me that this is not the kind of exercise that is going to help you until your pelvic issues are resolved, even tho swimming is generally an awesome choice.
Getting this book will help you out A LOT. There's so many simple, little things you can do to help this get better.
#4 of 13 Old 06-01-2008, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

I just want to say that I DON"T CARE If Birth Professionals respond or Not. If you know something about this PLEASE RESPOND.

Thanks PPs I will def look into that book. Right now I can't really afford more chiro care, unfortunately. I need to do something. I can't live like this anymore.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#5 of 13 Old 06-01-2008, 01:37 PM

I experienced SPD when I gave birth to my daughter. I could not walk without a walker for 6 weeks, could not get on and off the floor for seven months, and it took about a year for me to feel at a new normal level. I would recommend just one or two chiro adjustments just to make sure everything is lined back up. Then I would work on stregthening all of the supporting muscle groups. Kegals, pilates, yoga, walking and stretching really helped me. Especially the kegals. I felt like it pulled everything together from the inside. I also had my husband do some of the chiro moves on me when I felt like things were out of place. One move in particular helped a lot. I lay on my back with my knees bent. My husband pushes on the outer part of my knees, pushing them together, while I resist. Then we switch directions and he pushes out while I push in. I was terrified to try this move at the chiropractors, but we started very gently and it helped immensely. I just ordered the book recommended by the pp, and I'm really looking foward to reading it. I found hardly any info when this happened to me, and it was so frustrating. Good Luck!

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#6 of 13 Old 06-01-2008, 05:11 PM

OK I had some pain in my first pregnancy, by my fifth I was honestly disabled for much of my pregnancy last. I also had intermittent pain (from annoying to not being able to move or walk up and down stairs) for two years afterward.

I believe I had a complete separation and a few other issues. But what you want to know it what helps:
-slow exercises that don't aggravate it.
-chiropractic care! (cannot stress this enough! a properly aligned body promotes self healing!)
-being gentle with yourself. (There will be no pushing past limits like in your past fitness pursuits. If running hurts: you can't run. If a certain swimming stroke hurts, you'll have to find another one until it no longer hurts)
-time
-there is a surgery for this, but personally I decided to wait it out and I've healed since then.
-wrapping (belly binding) after birth HELPS! you do it low enough, it keeps the hip bones together and feels wonderful. you can also do this when you're having an episode
-as the joint "softening" hormones recede so does the frequency and pain. (many will still have these hormones while nursing. I nurse for a year and had milk for another year after she weaned. I'm not proposing anyone quit nursing here, just letting you know what to expect)

You have all my sympathy. I personally know how it is to just push through the pregnancy SURE that the pain will be gone once the baby is no longer sitting there--and then it's not.

There are movements and actions that aggravate the condition. don't do them.
-moving furniture
-push brooms
-some yoga postures or pilates
-squatting and lifting your 40lb toddler
-getting in and out of high profile cars and trucks, getting in and out of bed (keep you knees together)
-certain movements in heavy weightlifting
-slinging heavy babies. something that distributes weight more evenly is preferable if you are baby wearing. (wraps, mei ties etc) this will still set me off (I babysit a delicious 35lb 1yo)

OK now you can see by the list that I am a stubborn idiot who has no time or respect for pain:P don't be like me and maybe you'll heal faster!

if everyone who is suffering can list what helps them I would be SO HAPPY to hear more suggestions!!

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#7 of 13 Old 06-02-2008, 02:16 PM

It was awful with my first pregnancy. It didn't start to go away until about 18 months after my son's birth. I went to a Doctor of Osteopathy for osteopathic manipulative therapy. She sent me in for an x-ray and found that my pelvic bone was tilted too far forward. The tilt kept throwing my posture out of whack, my pelvis out of whack and would aggrevate my pubis syphasis.

While I was in therapy she suggested I get orthotic (sp?) inserts for my shoes. I had to have them made specifically for me and they cost a bundle (about $400) but it was the best money I've spent. My posture returned to normal and I barely had problems with pain after that.

I can only wear the inserts with tennis shoes and I have to find ones that they'll fit in but it is so worth it. And, I can't wear dress shoes of any kind without causing problems (or any other shoes except my tennis shoes). Not the most fashionable but considering the alternative...

Now, in my second pregnancy, the pain came back when I was about 6 weeks along. For some odd reason, it started to get better around 18 weeks. I'm now about 29 weeks and so long as I watch what I'm doing I can keep in under control.

I hope you can find the relief you need.
#8 of 13 Old 06-02-2008, 10:53 PM

Maybe try some comfrey root compresses or baths.
#9 of 13 Old 06-03-2008, 01:48 AM

I am interested in this too. I am 15 months PP and have suffered through both pregnancies and all of my postpartum time. I was always very flexible as a child, my orthopedic surgeon said that my ligaments were too lax and wanted to do double knee surgery on my at age 11 because my knees would dislocate multiple times a week from just walking. Anyway, PSD makes me afraid to have more children even though I KNOW I want more. I wake up in severe pain about 3 times a week, it just feels like someone has kicked me in the crotch, my doctor is stumped but says that it must be related to the PSD.
#10 of 13 Old 06-03-2008, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
there have been some good suggestions, to add I think belly binding or using one of the SI lock belts can help-- and I recommend not only kegels but some of the belly dancing exercises-- the ones that tighten your glutes (my friend calls them but bumps) but really most of the moves that have to do with the hips and abdomen will help --
also pay attention to how you are sitting while nursing, and your posture when you stand or pick up the baby--

topically saint john'swort oil can help to sooth pain or I think traumeal has a combo that includes SJW
#11 of 13 Old 02-26-2014, 07:03 AM

OliveandPimiento - The same thing has happened to me AFTER I give birth - 5 days after to be exact (I can walk in the morning and can't walk at night, and can't walk for 6 weeks).  You are the first person I have read about that sounds like the same experience as mine.  It's nice to know I'm not alone!  Did it happen more than once to you?  Did you have vaginal delivery or C-section?  It has happened exactly the same way twice now with #2 and #3.  I'm about to have #4 and have been experiencing the pain in my ligaments since about week 22 (ligament pain during pregnancy is new to me), although I can still walk.  I think a relapse is inevitable with a vaginal birth and am 95% sure I will do a C-section this time to see if it will alleviate the stress in that area.  However, some research shows that weakening your ab muscles through surgery could make PSD worse. I'm also weighing the fact that I also have tear quite badly and have needed episiotomies for all three, which would be nice to avoid as well.  Anyway, I'm curious if any of you have had experience with vaginal birth and C-section and if one is better than the other for you in regards to recover with PSD?

#12 of 13 Old 03-02-2014, 11:50 AM

Hi Amylzim,

I'm sorry to hear you have gone through this not only once but twice!  It only happened during my first birth.  She was 9#4oz and I pushed for many hours.  The following two were much smaller, 6#5oz and 7#, and I pushed them out easily.  I still had some tightening up to do postpartum though and I continued with chiro care until about 6 months after.  I still need to go get adjusted if I do something silly like wear high heels to a wedding and dance all night, lol.  I hope someone has answers for you about the c-sec.  I almost wonder if it will really help considering that much of the problem is the relaxing effect of pregnancy hormones on joints and ligaments.  You should keep bumping this thread until you get some replies because I know that there are quite a few women on here that experienced PSD.  Much luck to you what ever you decide. 

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#13 of 13 Old 03-02-2014, 06:07 PM

PSD, or pelvic girdle pain in general, is due to a weakness and subsequent misalignment of the bones in the pelvis. Having a cesarean will certainly not improve the situation, since your core is likely to be significantly weaker, perhaps permanently, after a cesarean. Your best bet is to find a physical therapist who specializes in pelvic and women's health. They can assess where your pelvis istout of alignment, give you exercises to put in back in place and identify and help correct the cause for the pain. It's possible that your first birth caused pelvic floor damage either just from the birthing process or from the tears, and that is why you've had this issue with subsequent pregnancies. There absolutely is help for this problem but having surgery is unlikely to make a difference in your recovery in a positive way.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page