Tubal Ligation pros & cons - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-01-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know a vasectomy is much less invasive, but my husband is not ready to go there. What are your thoughts about TL? Are there any additional possibilities for complications/side effects for women who had a c-section? Thanks!

Kristin
#2 of 8 Old 06-01-2008, 10:42 AM

Would you consider an IUD as an alternative? Lasts between 5 to 10 years and gives you good contraception while waiting for dh to be ready.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#3 of 8 Old 06-01-2008, 11:08 AM

I am no expert, I can share what I know/ think. I know that its very difficult to reverse, so you need to be very sure. I don't think there are complications. There is a rare chance of ectopic pregnancy. I don't think that there any addition complications if you have had a c-section. I had a TL during my second c-section, and neither my midwives or OB mentioned complications. They just stressed how difficult it is to reverse.
#4 of 8 Old 06-01-2008, 10:50 PM

http://www.tubal.org/
this site gives loads of info, good place to start
#5 of 8 Old 06-01-2008, 11:13 PM

I remember a few years ago an MDC mama going through menopause at 20-something after her tubal. Her baby was only a few months old, she lost her milk, it was very sad.
#6 of 8 Old 06-02-2008, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I found a similar site and made up my mind that TL is not for me. And I finally got my post-preg hormones in balance, so I don't need any chances of going there again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofchaos View Post
http://www.tubal.org/
this site gives loads of info, good place to start

Defenestrator, I am considering an IUD instead. I did a little online reading, and just want to double check that there are no hormonal side effects with the copper one (I would not go with the Mirena). At least it can be removed if I hate it. Anyone know numbers on the ectopic pregnancy risk with the copper IUD, or if there are added risks from a c-sec?

Paquerette--yikes! The possibility of losing my milk is one of the biggest factors in my fear of getting pregnant right now.

Thanks so much for the responses!
#7 of 8 Old 06-02-2008, 11:00 AM

Having known women who have had this done, I would never even consider it. If my DH were too much of a baby for a V I'd make him wear condoms.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#8 of 8 Old 06-02-2008, 01:07 PM

We are expecting our second child in August and will probably be our last.

We can't decide what to do for permanent birth control. A tubal doesn't appeal to me and it seems vasectomies can cause issues, too (I wish there was more research on both):

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-vmp021207.php

I know the study was very limited. I guess I've always wished we had a little button we could push when we were ready to have kids and another we could push when we were done.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page