clamping the cord - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-01-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My latest clients wanted delayed cord cutting but the lightening fast OB clamped it off immediately, then asked dad to cut. Dad responded by reminding OB to wait till it stopped pulsating and OB gave the cord about 35 more seconds...the cord was already clamped.

I suspect that any benefits the baby would have received with delayed cord cutting were not happening anyway because the cord was already clamped. Is my line of thinking correct here? Any other thoughts or resources are appreciated too.

ETA: Rereading this the answer the answer is SO obvious! LOL! I had just come from the all night birth and was still processing! Thanks for the kinds answers below.
#2 of 7 Old 06-01-2008, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you are correct, if the cord is clamped it would be cutting off the blood flow to the baby anyway.

my suggestion to clients who want to delay cord clamping/cutting is that they deny consent until the placenta has been birthed. Generally by this time the cord is done, and nobody has to stand GAURD over the doc and their cord clamps...

it also serves to keep baby WITH mom until the birth of the placenta, which in some hospitals is an incredibly long time! Hopefully the cord is long enough and we have inititated breastfeeding by the birth of the placenta, so then you can say that the baby is to stay with mom till nursing is done.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#3 of 7 Old 06-01-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

yup, just what I thought but needed to be sure...

So hypothetically if I had somehow gotten this OB to remove the clamps, would the cord start pulsing again and effectively provided blood to baby?

Quote:
my suggestion to clients who want to delay cord clamping/cutting is that they deny consent until the placenta has been birthed. Generally by this time the cord is done, and nobody has to stand GAURD over the doc and their cord clamps...

it also serves to keep baby WITH mom until the birth of the placenta, which in some hospitals is an incredibly long time! Hopefully the cord is long enough and we have inititated breastfeeding by the birth of the placenta, so then you can say that the baby is to stay with mom till nursing is done
Great suggestion! thanks!
#4 of 7 Old 06-01-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coobabysmom View Post

So hypothetically if I asked somehow gotten this OB to remove the clamps, would the cord start pulsing again and effectively provided blood to baby?
nak..

If it were done right away, yes. It would be no different from compressing any other blood vessel for a few seconds and then letting go.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#5 of 7 Old 06-02-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coobabysmom View Post

So hypothetically if I had somehow gotten this OB to remove the clamps, would the cord start pulsing again and effectively provided blood to baby?

Not necessarily - the clamping can cause the blood vessels in the cord to spasm and the blood is no longer free flowing once the clamps are removed (even if removed quickly).

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#6 of 7 Old 06-02-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
nak..

If it were done right away, yes. It would be no different from compressing any other blood vessel for a few seconds and then letting go.
Quote:
Wittyone wrote:
Not necessarily - the clamping can cause the blood vessels in the cord to spasm and the blood is no longer free flowing once the clamps are removed (even if removed quickly).
Both of these thoughts make sense to me. If the cord was unclamped, would there be way to tell if the blood flow was regained or not? By touch, by sight?
#7 of 7 Old 06-02-2008, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd think there'd be a pulse, yes? (in the part that was being blocked by the clamp, I mean)

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page