self study groups? midwifery texts? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-04-2008, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thought id put a couple thoughts, or questions rather in one post, as I'm good at replying, but not so much for starting threads.

i know i happened across a study group, using yahoo i believe, that was just starting sometime ago, before my divorce I'm sure. Now i would really like to find something.

I am not yet ready to jump into AAMI, still a year or so away, but i am going crazy! So i thought taking my self study up a notch or two would be a good start.

I want to get my hands on a text or two and would like to know a good place to start. anyone have thoughts on Varney's midwifery? I know it is a CNM text, and it is available at my local CC library

and I want to find a study group to help keep me on track!

any recommendations for either?

Thanks ladies!

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#2 of 15 Old 06-04-2008, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

no one?

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#3 of 15 Old 06-04-2008, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Helping hands connection does study groups/reading rooms for books monthly...

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#4 of 15 Old 06-05-2008, 01:15 AM

Holistic Midwifery could keep you busy for years! The reading rooms are also quite helpful.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#5 of 15 Old 06-05-2008, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

than you both, ill check them out!

#6 of 15 Old 06-05-2008, 08:56 AM

So here is my top reading list. Some of these are considered very "medical" but they have some great info, diagrams, etc. that make them worth reading.

Varney's
Human Labor & Birth by Oxorn-Foote (for me, this was the best text for understanding the mechanisms of labor for all fetal positions)
Holistic Midwifery I & II by Anne Frye
Hearts and Hands by Elizabeth Davis

I think that if you have Varney's available to you via the library, I would start with that. It was my most used textbook.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#7 of 15 Old 06-05-2008, 12:10 PM

also, if you can find varneys workbook...it is a good way of processing the wealth of information in varneys.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
#8 of 15 Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

thank you both. I did pick up varneys, as well as a couple others books i thought id like,
PUSHED
and one called-- Giving Birth: A Journey Into the World of Mothers and Midwives by Catherine Taylor (3/4 through it already)A beautiful book btw.

Anyhow, thank you, I am just itching to get ahold of Holistic Midwifery, but cost if prohibitive right now. I have eyed hearts and hands, but didnt know if it was worht the time, as it seems a bit small, and affordable, LOL!!

And i did recently discover the varneys workbook, so i will try to get my hands on that as well. Varneys is obvious, just glancing at it a very medical text for CNMs but looks like it is full of information and will probably keep me busy for a while!

#9 of 15 Old 06-07-2008, 12:12 PM

Heart and Hands is worth it as a beginner basic midwifery text.

#10 of 15 Old 06-07-2008, 12:30 PM

Another good book to get would be Family Centered Maternity and Newborn Care by Celeste R Phillips. At the end of each chapter, there is a Q&A review. Also, Anatomy and Physiology for Midwives by Jane Coad is good. It has lots of pictures and graphs for better understanding. You could also pick up Myles Textbook for Midwives. Great information but it's kind of spendy and very large!

Right now I'm reading Monique and the Mango Rains. Awesome book about the life of a Peace Corps volunteer an African Midwive living in Mali. It's hard to put down!

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#11 of 15 Old 06-07-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
Heart and Hands is worth it as a beginner basic midwifery text.
definitely! i'm about to re-read it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 636Jen View Post
Right now I'm reading Monique and the Mango Rains. Awesome book about the life of a Peace Corps volunteer an African Midwive living in Mali. It's hard to put down!

that was a good one. really glad i read it. and it makes me want to take an apprentice program in africa or another country. i hope one day i can.
#12 of 15 Old 06-08-2008, 07:34 PM

Hearts and Hands is a great basic text. You could get the Birthsong Midwifery Workbook (available through Midwifery Today), and H&H, and work through that (yay for the library having Varney's!). Basic Anatomy and Physiology textbooks are usually available at used book stores, or again, you can use the library's. Happy studies!
#13 of 15 Old 06-08-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato3cherubs View Post
Anyhow, thank you, I am just itching to get ahold of Holistic Midwifery, but cost if prohibitive right now. I have eyed hearts and hands, but didnt know if it was worht the time, as it seems a bit small, and affordable, LOL!!
Have you tried Amazon.com? I have gotten some books there at pretty good prices. The used ones are less expensive, of course.
#14 of 15 Old 06-08-2008, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Random_Phrase View Post
Have you tried Amazon.com? I have gotten some books there at pretty good prices. The used ones are less expensive, of course.
I stock amazon. the only way i can keep track of what it is im looking for is to use the wish list on there there is just so many.

as for the midwifery texts, they have been quite tricky to find, and expensive for me right now! so i am just keeping an eye out. A&P is a great study idea as well.
I have been thinking about trying to pull off taking A&P and a Medical terminology class at my local cc as well. I have already done biology and such.

#15 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 08:19 AM

I'm a fan of half.com. I've gotten most of my books there and the shipping is cheaper. I found a cheap 2000 version of Varneys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page