On-call with a nursling? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-04-2008, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had a year off of midwifery school bc I had dd, but am going back in 6 weeks.
Here's the situation:
Dp will work a regular 9-5 job and I'll be at home w/ dd except for 1-3 days a week (am think we'll start w/ 1 and build up) when she'll be with a very trusted friend (actually my preceptors sister) while I do pre/post-natals. I'll be on call for births all evenings & weekends for births as well. I'm planning on no more than 4 births a month and probably more like 2.
I also have some all-day workshops for school - about once a month for 3-4 days. Hopefully Dp or another friend will be able to come with me and hang out nearby with dd for those times.
Dd will be 9 mos when I begin, and as of now is almost exclusively b-fed. I'm thinking I'll pump and freeze milk - but I can't do that until 1 week before I start because we have to travel to New Zealand (where I go to school) first!
Dd has only ever been at home with me up until now (except a few times a couple hours alone w/ daddy or grandma).
Anyway, I'm kind of freaking out because prior to dd I just get super immersed in midwifery when I'm in training and I don't see how I can fit it all in and work out the logistics and not go crazy!
I do know I've picked the lightest load possible school-wise, which helps.
Any advice from those who have BTDT??

And also - I read posts awhile ago about leaving midwifery until after kids, and. . . well. . . dd was not planned and I have only 18 months of training left which I have to do now (can't be deferred any longer). I've just accepted that this is my path and I certainly have no ambition to be very high volume or cram in a lot. This is as slow and spaced out as I can go and I'm ok with that. I love midwifery and would rather be doing this than other WOH which my family needs me to do, and frankly I need to do for myself. I'll bec practicing in Canada or NZ so the financial reality is also somewhat different than the US struggle.

yikes, I'm getting defensive! - anyway practical thoughts and support appreciated

thank you!

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#2 of 4 Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 AM

I don't have any advice for you, except that it is clear you have thought this through a lot and seem to be setting things up to work as well as possible. I hope your unplanned baby is as flexable now with you as you've likely been by bringing her into the world I hope it goes well for you!

I am actually really curious about your experience studying midwifery in New Zealand- I take it you are from Canada? I live in Canada and I've been to New Zealand a few times and have thought about studying there....maybe you can PM me to share what its been like for you?

Best of luck with it all!!

Sarahfina
#3 of 4 Old 06-05-2008, 02:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My youngest was 9-10 months when I started my apprenticeship. I pumped and froze milk for her. She also ate more solids during the hours I was gone. We did ok. I just took it birth by birth and saw how well she was handling it as was my husband. By the time a few births had gone by, she had grown and changed and nursed more for comfort than for nutritional needs and it was even easier for me to go.

You will do just fine. Just take it a little at a time!

I have no advice for not going completely crazy though.... I might be there. I struggle trying to fit in fun family time, studying, apprenticing, doula work, etc, etc, etc. Usually it is sleep that is given up, which doesn't always help the sanity issue. I think though, deep down things are going fine. SO, I am sure they will for you as well!!!

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#4 of 4 Old 06-05-2008, 08:36 AM

My daughter was about that age when I slowly started getting back into school work and going to births. I pumped and froze, she ate solids, and it all worked out great! My mom watches her, and it was wonderful to see the closeness develope between them. I also really enjoyed being back at work, and it made me a happier, better mother.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page