I want to be a midwife. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 06-05-2008, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have thought about this for several years now. I would absolutely love to be a midwife. I have perused a few websites but I'd really appreciate any personal insight you may have to offer concerning what route I should take. I have an associate's degree in Biology from a local community college and I took a few classes at a state university. I'll have to use financial aid. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks in advance.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#2 of 25 Old 06-05-2008, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Bump

Anyone?!

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#3 of 25 Old 06-05-2008, 01:57 PM

Have you weighed CNM vs. CPM? That's your first step, I'd say.

You might get more play in Birth Professionals.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#4 of 25 Old 06-05-2008, 01:57 PM

Where I live you find a midwife to apprentice under. id write moe but my keyboard is dying....bateries are out lol
#5 of 25 Old 06-05-2008, 02:01 PM

In a couple of years I plan on going to the Frontier School...that's for CNM. I agree that you need to decide what KIND of midwife you want to be, what the legalities are in your state, etc.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#6 of 25 Old 06-05-2008, 02:30 PM

I am going to be enrolling in AAMI in the near future. I've decided to get the "studying" part well underway before i get an apprenticeship, as i would like for my kiddos to be a little older

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#7 of 25 Old 06-05-2008, 03:11 PM

Its taken me three years to figure my route out. There are several ways to do it and you need to see whats out there and decide which is right for you.
I became a doula first, studied a lot. I am doing the prerequisites at birthingway and hopefully attending there next year. It is involving a cross country move to do it but it is just what is right for me.
#8 of 25 Old 06-05-2008, 04:11 PM

i'd recommend reading midwifery today's paths to becoming a midwife: getting an education .
#9 of 25 Old 06-05-2008, 04:16 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#10 of 25 Old 06-05-2008, 04:36 PM

yes there are many ways. I have been a doula and now am working as a midwife's assistant. I am also going through the Midwife To Be program.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
#11 of 25 Old 06-06-2008, 12:10 AM

The Paths to Becoming a Midwife book was very very helpful. I was able to figure out which type of midwife and how to become that midwife.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#12 of 25 Old 06-06-2008, 09:08 AM

And check with your state! Here in FL, AAMI would not be an excepted for of education. Thankfully the AAMI lady was able to show me this and lead towards the people I need to talk to! We have on program close to me, but its a Masters program for CNM. There are other accepted schools, but they are over 2 hours away, so..... my dream is put on hold till the kiddos are older.

so, check with your state, AAMI can help with this, then ask around. Here, in FL, The lay midwives have it easier than the CNMs, who are held to much more medical standards. I've heard pros and cons from both

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#13 of 25 Old 06-06-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
i'd recommend reading midwifery today's paths to becoming a midwife: getting an education .
Yes! This is a very helpful book when deciding what kind of midwife you'd like to be. Also, learn more about your state laws to you know how your practice will be affected.

My long term goal is to be a midwife too and starting as a doula & getting to know my town's birth friendly community & self-study have been the beginning of this journey for me.
#14 of 25 Old 06-06-2008, 11:00 AM

I will be doing the same thing as milkydoula...enrolling in AAMI in a couple years, getting most of the studying and coursework out of the way, and then apprenticing when my (future) children are older.

Oh, and somewhere in between I'll also be moving to West Virginia since Florida doesn't allow CPM's to practice.

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#15 of 25 Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminine_earth View Post
Oh, and somewhere in between I'll also be moving to West Virginia since Florida doesn't allow CPM's to practice.
???

Florida certainly allows CPMs to practice. They have to also be licensed. But most licensed midwives are also CPMs.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#16 of 25 Old 06-06-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momileigh View Post
???

Florida certainly allows CPMs to practice. They have to also be licensed. But most licensed midwives are also CPMs.
No, Florida does not allow CPM's to practice. They only allow Licensed Midwives to practice. Those LM's are certainly allowed to be CPM's, but CPM's on their own (without Florida licensure) are not legally allowed to practice. And this is most unfortunate, as there is no way possible I'd ever be able to afford to go to one of the midwifery schools here. I think if Florida allowed those with CPM certification to practice here legally, we'd have a lot more midwives.

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#17 of 25 Old 06-06-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
No, Florida does not allow CPM's to practice. They only allow Licensed Midwives to practice. Those LM's are certainly allowed to be CPM's, but CPM's on their own (without Florida licensure) are not legally allowed to practice. And this is most unfortunate, as there is no way possible I'd ever be able to afford to go to one of the midwifery schools here. I think if Florida allowed those with CPM certification to practice here legally, we'd have a lot more midwives.
I went to the ISOM in Miami for $100 per month, plus books.

It isn't the right school for everybody, but it is an affordable option for most, and includes your entire apprenticeship.

You don't have to go to a Florida school to get licensed there. What, exactly, do you think would keep you from getting your license in FL?

But I'm not one to discourage people from moving away from FL seeing as I just did it myself.

#18 of 25 Old 06-06-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momileigh View Post
I went to the ISOM in Miami for $100 per month, plus books.

It isn't the right school for everybody, but it is an affordable option for most, and includes your entire apprenticeship.

You don't have to go to a Florida school to get licensed there. What, exactly, do you think would keep you from getting your license in FL?

But I'm not one to discourage people from moving away from FL seeing as I just did it myself.
Maybe I am out of the loop, but last I heard, you DO have to go to a Florida school to get licensed here, because none of the schools are currently offering the four-month program for midwives who are already licensed and practicing in other states. And even if they were, these said midwives would have to have attended an MEAC (is that the right abbr.??) accredited school, or else they will need to take the full midwifery program in a Florida midwifery school.

$100 a month is affordable for me. That's how much I'll be paying to take the AAMI distance course. However, moving to Miami is definitely NOT affordable for me. Miami is five hours drive away from where I live now. I have never even been to Miami, though I have friends who used to live there, and they moved back here because they said the cost of living was just too high. Besides, my very small immediate family lives here...not far from me. They are planning on moving to West Virginia, too. Moving to Miami is just not an option for me or my family.

Anyway, I am not moving to West Virginia just so I can practice midwifery. I'm moving to West Virginia because my mom and her husband are moving there, because it snows in the winter, because I love the mountains, and because I could buy two houses there for the price of one here!

#19 of 25 Old 06-06-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Maybe I am out of the loop, but last I heard, you DO have to go to a Florida school to get licensed here, because none of the schools are currently offering the four-month program for midwives who are already licensed and practicing in other states. And even if they were, these said midwives would have to have attended an MEAC (is that the right abbr.??) accredited school, or else they will need to take the full midwifery program in a Florida midwifery school.

$100 a month is affordable for me. That's how much I'll be paying to take the AAMI distance course. However, moving to Miami is definitely NOT affordable for me. Miami is five hours drive away from where I live now. I have never even been to Miami, though I have friends who used to live there, and they moved back here because they said the cost of living was just too high. Besides, my very small immediate family lives here...not far from me. They are planning on moving to West Virginia, too. Moving to Miami is just not an option for me or my family.

Anyway, I am not moving to West Virginia just so I can practice midwifery. I'm moving to West Virginia because my mom and her husband are moving there, because it snows in the winter, because I love the mountains, and because I could buy two houses there for the price of one here!
You do have to go to a school approved by the state of Florida. There are very few choices for this. The state website says there are six schools, and lists Delphi, although its been closed for some time! Florida Friends of Midwifery can verify this for you! As they have for me!

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/midwi...c_req_end.html

these are the schools- http://www.floridamidwives.org/ USF has a CNM program, but its a masters program

If it were as simple as doing AAMI, Id already be started! But i'm in Clearwater, all the schools are hours away.

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#20 of 25 Old 06-06-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I'm pretty sure I want to be a CNM. With my A.S. in Bio, how much more general coursework do you think I'll need? Will I have to go to a special midwifery school or are there programs at regular colleges/universities?

I will defintiely be checking out the recommended books next week!

#21 of 25 Old 06-06-2008, 07:59 PM

I *think* you have to become an RN first, get 2 years experience in L&D, then apply to a CNM program.

Is that right?

feminine_earth: I totally understand about not wanting to move to Miami. It was very hard for us. I'm glad we did it, don't regret it one bit, but it was *very* hard.

#22 of 25 Old 06-06-2008, 10:35 PM

http://www.motherstuff.com/html/2mid...schoolsCA.html

one link i found quickly.

I do believe i have heard of a CNM program that didnt require the entire nursing be completed first but it was in the new england area. Something big like Yale. I really dont remeber so dont hold me to any of it. I am not real familiar with the requirements of that path as it isnt the one i will take.
But i do believe the pp is correct, you have to start with nursing, be active as an RN first, then complete a CNM program. Your associates could probably provide much of the initial coursework required for the RN degree, but you are still looking at alot of work, as with any midwifery path.

I would definantly look more into the requirements in the state of California as well.

good luck to you in your research and the future ahead!

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#23 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 07:38 PM

Yup, last I heard Yale has a CNM program that lets you skip the L&D route. Otherwise I think all CNM programs require nursing and L&D experience first. Good luck!
#24 of 25 Old 06-09-2008, 07:53 PM

The University of Michigan does not require nursing experience. They will admit you straight from a nursing program.

Shelley
#25 of 25 Old 06-09-2008, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are quite a few schools with graduate-entry CNM schools. That means you don't have to have any nursing education or experience. You just have to have a bachelor's degree and in some cases a few prerequisite classes. Yale, University of California San Francisco, University of Cincinnati, Ohio State University, and Marquette University are the ones I remember off the top of my head but there are more. You graduate in three years and you have a Masters of Science in Nursing and if you pass the test, you're a CNM.

They're extremely competitive programs, as well as being intense and difficult because of the short amount of time, but they're definitely an option for someone with education that is not in nursing or someone who does not wish to get a nursing degree. I'm looking into these programs because I am almost done with my BA in Women's Studies. I'm 25 and I don't want to have to start almost at the beginning again to get a BSN in nursing (three years), get the required experience (one year IF I could get an immediate position in L&D), then do ANOTHER three years of CNM school. This way, I'll be a midwife by the time I'm 29, versus being almost 35.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page