Magnesium in breastmilk?? HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2008, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a 3-day old who has seems to be in pain and not wanting to nurse tonight. I took 200 mg of magnesium to treat my Restless Leg Syndrom, and now I'm wondering if this could be causing major intestinal discomfort for my baby. He's had about 5 small bowel movements in the last few hours.

Does anyone know about vitamins and mineral supplements in breast milk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Magnesium is a muscle relaxant. It is the active ingredient in epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) which can be a purgative if taken to excess. Yes, it can give you and your little one diahrreah. Make sure your baby gets plenty of fluids as it can dehydrate a little person.

Try some calcium and phosphorus with the magnesium next time for mineral balance.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 06-09-2008, 02:26 PM

Congratulations!

It's hard to get used to but when nursing you must be very careful and know about every medication you're taking.

Research both how it will effect your milk supply and how it affect the baby. Including every over the counter medication, prescription meds, and alcohol, nicotine, caffeine.

Dr Thomas Hale' book is the most reliable source for this information.

Kellymom.com also has a good list.
http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...oved-meds.html
Old 06-09-2008, 02:46 PM

Personally, I doubt this as the cause. 200 mg of Magnesium isn't a huge dose, and I did look it up in Hale's, and both mag sulfate and mag hydroxide have no reported concerns for baby through your milk (while it does state it causes diarrhea in adults). The frequency of your baby's pooping isn't abnormal for a 3 day old baby, esp. if you milk is in. He may indeed be having some belly pain, though, but this sometimes happens regardless of anything else.

Lots of our clients take Magnesium after birth for relief of uterine cramping and muscles. They normally take a mag citrate or gluconate....something like that.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
Old 06-09-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Magnesium is a muscle relaxant. It is the active ingredient in epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) which can be a purgative if taken to excess. Yes, it can give you and your little one diahrreah.
Actually, it doesn't cause diarrhea in babies (when mother takes it) according to Hales.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
Old 06-09-2008, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Magnesium is one of the things a pregnant woman can take for constipation because it increases the fluid in the lower bowel- hydrophyllic laxative it is also a smooth muscle relaxant - when people I know have taken magnesium to excess yes they have diarrhea but no cramping- the amount that was taken is a small dose within recommended daily allowance so I would not think that was a cause of any problems- it really isn't a cartharitic like other things that are used as laxatives- if you were taking some senna or cascara and baby was having these symptoms I would say yes probably the cause but not a small dose of mag.

maybe just being 3 days old, also I am wondering if you are waiting until after the second let down before changing sides while nursing, babies need the hind milk it is rich in fats and is what helps give a baby the feeling of saiety

who knows some babies poop every time they eat and some go days without pooping-

User Tag List