Claritin during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it's generally acceptable to take Claritin for seasonal allergies during pregnancy? If not, is there something else that is on the "safe list?"

Thanks!!
#2 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 08:56 AM

I feel it's fine.
#3 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 09:17 AM
wbg

I suffer from repeated allergic reactions. They only happen every few months and are usually quite severe. My doctor in Australia said to take polaramine instead of claritin during pregnancy and breast feeding. Not sure why. If I needed more than a few doses she recommended homeopathic remedies to supplement..

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#4 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
not in the first trimester, and I would even give a guarded yes in the second trimester 3rd probably safe-- there aren't really many studies on pregnant women the largest had about 2200 pregnant women in it- that really isn't a large number-- there was some reported concern about hypospadias that the Dutch did a case-control study on that came up not causual but they also made it clear that the study was underpowered---
#5 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 07:00 PM

I work at University of Washington, we give our patients Claritin if they need it, we have no problems with it. All physicians have to be terrified of giving medications during pregnancy, liability has gone crazy, and bottom line, there just aren't many studies on drugs in pregnancy. It's awfully hard to do those kinds of trials. High risk hospital OBs have more flexiblity, it is amazing what we can give and everything is a-ok, at birth and down the road.
#6 of 11 Old 07-01-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
not in the first trimester, and I would even give a guarded yes in the second trimester 3rd probably safe-- there aren't really many studies on pregnant women the largest had about 2200 pregnant women in it- that really isn't a large number-- there was some reported concern about hypospadias that the Dutch did a case-control study on that came up not causual but they also made it clear that the study was underpowered---

Interesting...I took claritin (with the blessing of my caregiver) for three summer months while pregnant. My son was born with hypospadias. I guess I might be more cautious next time.
#7 of 11 Old 07-01-2008, 12:24 AM

Interesting. I took it quite a bit with my first pregnancy and my sister mentioned that there was some concern about it causing genital deformations in males, hypospadias I'm guessing?

I started becoming a lot more cautious and "natural" by the time I was pregnant a second time. Now I treat my allergies with vit. C, local raw honey and homeopathic drops. The vit. C is great even for sudden, more severe attacks, like I get from cats. I think there is a miscarriage concern, however slight, from high doses of vit. C in the first trimester so I probably wouldn't take too much then.
#8 of 11 Old 07-01-2008, 02:51 PM

The connection between Claritin and hypospadias has been disproven: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=31597

Other midwives and chiropractors told me to stay away from it, but it's easy to say that when you're not the one whose allergies are causing constant nausea and dizziness. I started taking Claritin again at 8 weeks and it all stopped.
#9 of 11 Old 07-01-2008, 03:37 PM

so we will be disagreeing on this one -- admittedly I am no longer having babies but I do have severe allergies and food intolerances- getting rid of what you can is the best plan, people with cat allergies sorry to say but get rid of your cat it is making you sick and is long term wear and tear on your body's immune system as well as increasing susuptability to other illnesses, eating tomatoes gives you hives don't do that... in any case I also do some food and supplemental support -- using an older more studied drug would be a follow-up

as far as claritin goes I am not going to give it a pass yet--
right from the MM report pages located here---- there are other points that I find interesting like they exclusion group includes any other malformations...
----http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0906/is_10_53/ai_115404642?tag=artBody;col1

" This report is subject to at least two limitations. First, NBDPS does not track all birth defects. Because first-degree hypospadias is excluded, the potential association between this mildest form of hypospadias and loratadine could not be assessed. Second, women are interviewed about their pregnancy exposures after delivery, and recall of drug use might be different among mothers of infants with major birth defects compared with mothers of infants without major birth defects."

--------------
back when this report was prepared it was an Rx it would seem that looking a physician records of the Rx's would help in preparing info-- what stirred the pot to begin with was a Swedish study in 2002- I think that their system of reporting is they have a registry - they document it all for stats...
#10 of 11 Old 07-01-2008, 03:45 PM

I'm allergic to mold, dust, pollen, grass, trees, cats, and cockroaches. I don't have cats or roaches. There's not much else I can do about the others.
#11 of 11 Old 07-02-2008, 02:57 PM

just to be clear, women should weigh the evidence and decide what is best for them - very often the choices are not completely free of risk- untreated allergies can be very severe and effect both mom and baby - as you nashvillemiwife has pointed out- being sick every day throughout the day on top of some of the normal pregnancy changes can land a mom in the hospital- and possibly a bigger pharmacy of drugs--- my own mom called yesterday obviously not pregnant, but she wanted to know about a new drug her doc rx'd for her- because she has had an allergic reaction to a similar drug she wanted to know how related they were- well the last time she had an allergic reaction to the drug her arms and legs and face swelled out and the doc was afraid she would have kidney failure or something if they didn't get the reaction treated asap-- well she got a corticosteroid shot- actually several shots- now I know that most of the time hayfever or other allergies are not so dramatic but ... I have also seen women who have had chronic brochitis from allergy exposure and end up with an infection that led to adult onset asthma -- sorry no easy choices

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page