Does a posterior cervix mean that baby isn't in a "good" position? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-07-2008, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this in my due date club, too.

I've been wondering, with this start/stop labor and being 5cm dialated with a posterior cervix means that the baby is in an unfavorable position.

I know baby is head down... I can definitely feel the head right there. I know that the baby is laying on my right side as most of my babies do. The placenta is up on the left side. When baby gets the hiccups, I feel it pointing towards my left hip sorta.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#2 of 5 Old 07-07-2008, 11:33 PM

baby may have his head tilted slightly to the side(asynclitic) but will probably straighten out as he moves more snugly in the pelvis in preparation for active labor. Can you tell where his back is? he may be posterior. You want to get him to become more forward(his back, that is) so I would spend about 15 min several times a day on hands and knees to encourage his back to roll more toward your front. If you have any kind of recliner, soft sofa or wedge pillow for sitting in bed reading, etc, I wouldn't use them right now. They encourage the baby toward being posterior(his back next to yours). As it gets closer to actual labor, the cervix will naturally start to move more anteriorly. As long as its still posterior, you aren't having the baby anytime soon, usually...It's also still a little early...most babies are born past thier due times.... The spinning babies website is a good one for positioning the baby for optimal birth
#3 of 5 Old 07-08-2008, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I will try doing more hands and knees stuff. This is just so weird for me to be pregnant for this long since my other two weren't. DD was posterior though and we had a couple issues. In 2 days I'll officially be more pregnant than I ever have been.

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#4 of 5 Old 07-08-2008, 11:09 AM

We actual just attended a home VBAC yesterday with a posterior cervix. Baby was in an 'ideal' position of LOA and very low, and her cervix was SO far posterior I couldn't even reach it (the other midwife could just barely). Mom remained about 4-5 cm until the cervix finally came midline, and then labor progressed normally. We don't check women routinely prenatally (or during labor, for that matter), so who know how often a cervix is posterior and we didn't even know it.

Although we did try to bring it forward, it kept going right back posterior,a nd I think what finally did the trick was mom spending time in knees/chest, since her baby was so low.

But, as far as posterior cervix before labor starts? Totally normal, and not a big deal, imo. Early labor contractions (or pre-labor stuff days before labor) will bring the cervix forward almost always. I only share the above birth story as an example of a anterior, non-asyclintic baby with a posterior cervix.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#5 of 5 Old 07-08-2008, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. That is such an interesting story. Thanks for sharing! It gives me hope. Hopefully things will progress just fine!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page