Mothering Forum banner

Alcohal/wine to stop contractions?

19K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  dewi 
#1 ·
I am 36 weeks pregnant, and thought I was in labor the other day (ended up being a kidney infections, omgoodness was that bad!). My midwife said it could be early labor, and I am planning a homebirth. She delivers at home after 35 weeks, but said 36 is still a little early so she wanted me to stop it if it was and told me to drink 2 ounces of vodka mixed with orange juice and see if they stopped.

It didnt, because it wasnt labor, but I was wondering if anyone else uses this? I am on a mianstream website and got HECK over this. OMgoodness, I am killing my baby cause I had 2 ouncces of vodka. So anyone know about this, what about the effects of vodka vs, say the mag shots they pump women full of? Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I first say stay away from the mainstream site,

A glass of wine, a beer or a couple ounces of vodka in a drink is not going to harm your baby. this late in the game baby is now just mostly trying to grow bigger and a small amount of alcohol will not due harm.

Problems with babies due to alcohol mostly arise when there is alcohol consumed on a frequent, regular basis throughout pregnancy.

Now as for the labor part. You don't want to drink alcohol when you have a UTI of any kind. It is hard on your kidneys and urinary tract. You have to focus on getting that cleared up. UTI's can be a common cause for premature labor. drink LOTS of water.

Otherwise, many suggest that if you think contractions are showing signs of early labor, you can drink a glass of wine, or beer and try a warm bath, or get comfy in bed resting on your side. This will help relax you which can often help stop contractions if labor hasn't gotten to far.

36 weeks is pretty good, you are not far of and I would try to stay off my feet and relax as much as possible for another week or so.

Best wishes for a smooth labor and healthy baby

#3 ·
Your right about the mainstream sites, UHG!

I am a christian and NEVER drink (havent since I was like 17 lol) so I know little about drinking while pg. She said it was fine, and I trust her. it was just strange everyone else was FREAKING about it, when me, someone who is very aaginst drinking, isnt. Weird.

We didnt know it was a UTI or kidney infection at the time, all I was doing was contracting like crazy and she checked and I was thinning, but not dialated. She said if it wasnt the real deal it would stop them, which it didnt, but then we found out its cause it was a kidney infection (they said a high UTI, so I am not sure the difference between kidney which is where they said it was, and a UTI).

I dont go into labor early (carried twins 40 weeks 1 day, and still wasnt dialated!) so I am not really worried. I am on antibiotics and now feel 1000000 times better, no more cramping or pain! WHOO HOOO!

#4 ·
I am glad you are feeling better! I had a kidney infection a few months ago and the pain was unreal.

I don't think her suggestion was weird or anything that would harm your baby. Now, if you were trying to stop contractions 3 times a day for 5 months straight.... well, there are bigger risks because the exposure is so much more. One instance in your whole pregnancy of having a drink to see if it will relax your uterus and stop contractions seems like a very small risk to me.

#5 ·
I am really glad you are feeling better. Sounds like you got it figured right out and taken care of! Alot of people freak out about alcohol in pregnancy because of how terrible fetal alcohol syndrom can be. Very view take the time to actually learn about it, therefore we are taught that it is bad and always bad. It isnt always bad, but too much is. As with many other things we put into our bodies.

take care!

#6 ·
The alcohol is a muscle relaxant, so it can relax the uterine muscle and stop labor.
I usually recommend a half glass of wine, not two shots, for prodomal labor that won't quit + water + hot bath + Calcium/Magnesium. I've recently heard benedryl recommended, too - not to be mixed with alcohol, though! Anyway, this is in contrast to the typical hospital treatment of opiate medications. I think the alcohol is a safer treatment than

I know mag sulfate is used to stop pre-term labor, but it's not more effective than just aggressive IV hydration. And it has some pretty nasty side effects - if administered in incorrect doses, it can be fatal (but so can alcohol!).

Of course, if I knew it was a UTI or kidney infection, I wouldn't recommend anything except antibiotics and hydration with rest.

#7 ·
it is a fairly old tradition to use alcohol for slowing/stopping labor and there were some studies done in the 1960's with IV ethanol with some fairly good success- I think that it wasn't until the 80's that it was mostly discontinued as a treatment for about 80% of their patients in the study they got a minimum of 72 hrs with an average of about 19 days difference --
now there are so many ways to treat preterm babies that most of the time there is a delberate decision to deliver a preterm baby rather than wait for the most part.

#8 ·
I don't have much to add except my annoyance at hearing those women's comments about 2oz of vodka killing your baby!!
Those same women are likely going to be pumped full of narcotics during their birth, and they are saying a bit of alcohol is deadly?
:

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reha View Post
I don't have much to add except my annoyance at hearing those women's comments about 2oz of vodka killing your baby!!
Those same women are likely going to be pumped full of narcotics during their birth, and they are saying a bit of alcohol is deadly?
:
:
:
Just had to add some of those because this is just so right on

#10 ·
With my oldest I had contractions quite regularly for months before I had her. At the end, it was maybe 4 an hour for hours at a stretch. By the time I was 36 weeks I was 3cm dilated and 75% effaced. My doctor wasn't concerned about me giving birth at that point but was concerned that I would be worn out from lack of sleep due to the contractions. I was "prescribed" a vicodin and a half a wine cooler each night before bed. It shocked me at first, and mainstream people still drop their jaws when I tell them an OB did that. In the end it was the best thing I could have done. DD was fine and I felt VERY well rested after 3 days of that regiment. Like the other posters have said, damage to the baby from a very small bit of alcohol won't hurt a baby at that stage of development (I would think you'd want to stay away from larger amounts so it doesn't affect the baby in labor). Heck, just about every midwifery book I've read has stories of this method being used

#11 ·
You and your midwife are doing ALL THE RIGHT THINGS! You are going to be fine. I had kidney infections with 2 of my 3 preg.
Do you wear thong underwear? Also be careful when spooning(when it turns into love rubbing if you know what I mean?!) Most kidney infections are due to e coli. Good birthing love to you mama!
Sam
Wholistic Midwife

#12 ·
I will recomend a glass of red wine or a Guiness to stop pre-term labor or BH that are keeping mom from resting. I also ask that she drinks a huge glass of water after, because alcohol is so dehydrating. I know a few OB's that will recommend it too. It's not that uncommon a remedy

#13 ·
25 years ago IV alcohol was what was routinely used in hospitals to stop preterm labor. The tocolytics used today had not even been invented. Many traditional midwives know that just a small amount of alcohol (could be 1 beer or a glass of wine) will stop preterm labor. I went into preterm labor at 28 weeks and did not want to be part of the institutional birth system if I didn't have to. I sipped vodka any time the bedrest alone wasn't working and held the twins in another 4 weeks. Had I gone to the hospital they would have wanted to section me then (one baby was severely disabled and failing-no realistic chance of survival) and the viable twin would have had a much longer and harder NICU stay. This pregnancy I used vodka to stop preterm labor (this time an infection caused it) until I could get through the weekend to see a CNM who gave me antiobiotics and terbutyline by mouth to stop the infection/labor. My first vodka baby is a very bright talkative and sweet three year old. See no negative effects on her at all.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenkids View Post
I will recomend a glass of red wine or a Guiness to stop pre-term labor or BH that are keeping mom from resting
Mmmm....Guiness. I'll have to make sure I remember that for when I'm dealing with prodromal labor (I almost hope I do just so I can drink a whole Guiness and not bum a sip from DH every once in a blue moon!).

I also suggest a half a glass of wine or a wine cooler to moms who are having contractions that are either too early or unproductive and annoying. And I suggest it with a half a dose of benadryl and a nice hot bath with a good book to read, too.

The vodka/OJ wouldn't be my first suggestion because it sounds like something I couldn't gag down when I'm not pregnant and I try to suggest things that are actually appetizing so my clients will do them. When I do castor oil inductions, though, I mix 2oz of vodka in so mom can get some rest before the castor oil starts doing its work

And incidentally, from what I've read, the discovery of fetal alcohol syndrome had nothing to do with alcoholic moms and everything to do with the IV ethanol that the hospitals used to stop preterm labor in the 60s. And here we thought these moms were drinking and causing abnormalities in their babies when really what they were doing is doing exactly what their doctor told them to do. How many things that are standard in OB today will be taboo in two generations? And more importantly, what are they causing that we don't know about yet? At least we KNOW what the effects of a small dose of alcohol are!!

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenkids View Post
I will recomend a glass of red wine or a Guiness to stop pre-term labor or BH that are keeping mom from resting. I also ask that she drinks a huge glass of water after, because alcohol is so dehydrating. I know a few OB's that will recommend it too. It's not that uncommon a remedy
But then how should mom cope with having to get up to go to the bathroom every hour during the night?

Can you tell what my challenges are lately?

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belia View Post
But then how should mom cope with having to get up to go to the bathroom every hour during the night?

Can you tell what my challenges are lately?

As inconvenient as it is to have to get up SO often, OK, maybe the word MISERABLE can sometimes describe it, A pregnant mama, especially a pregnant mama trying to ward of preterm labor, MUST stay very well hydrated.

And at no time should she ever consider not drinking water in order to not have to get up so often.

Sorry girls, i just had to put that in here in reply

#17 ·
I put laboring mamas to sleep on the toilet - facing the tank, with some pillows. You don't have to get up to pee. You can also rest in the tub, peeing as you like. I've never suggested them in pregnancy, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. At least until your butt falls asleep on the toilet and your bath water turns cold.

#18 ·
I'm reading Spiritual Midwifery By Ina May Gaskin, at the moment, and it talks a bit about giving one of the mothers vodka to slow down her labor at one point. And the first time I've ever heard of drinking alcohol during labor was on these forums.

To be honest, I don't like the idea. I wouldn't drink when I was pregnant or breastfeeding so why would I drink while I'm trying to bring my baby into the world. Doesn't make sense to me. Yeah let me just put some poison in my system right before my baby comes out. But oh, let me have a "natural" birth. I don't get it.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SheepNumber97245 View Post
I'm reading Spiritual Midwifery By Ina May Gaskin, at the moment, and it talks a bit about giving one of the mothers vodka to slow down her labor at one point. And the first time I've ever heard of drinking alcohol during labor was on these forums.

To be honest, I don't like the idea. I wouldn't drink when I was pregnant or breastfeeding so why would I drink while I'm trying to bring my baby into the world. Doesn't make sense to me. Yeah let me just put some poison in my system right before my baby comes out. But oh, let me have a "natural" birth. I don't get it.

One has to choose their poison and for some alcohol is medicinal and extremly useful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.