Contractions only when laying down - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-18-2008, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I should know the answer to this, but I just don't and to be honest am just really getting very tired so hopefully someone will have some thoughts for me.

I am currently 37 weeks 3 days with my 8th baby, and have never experienced anything like this (then again my last baby is also 7 1/2 yrs old). Anyhow, here is what is going on - about 10 days ago I started having contractions at 3 pm. I wasn't concerned because two of my kids were born at 36 weeks and four were born around 37 weeks and one born at 39 weeks, so when it started I just thought it was the early stages of labor kicking in. The contractions were uncomfortable (in my back and radiating down my legs) but were very sporatic. By about 11 pm when I tried to go to bed they became very intense and were 3-5 minutes apart, but at this point they were weird because if I stood up they went away, but when laying they were painful so much so that I thought for sure I had to be in labor. I spent almost the entire night standing so that I was comfortable thinking that they would kick in while standing, but they never did. Then around 9 am I felt like the baby did a huge move and everything stopped with just a few contractions here or there that felt like strong Braxton Hicks (much more tolerable )

Each night since this happened I spend a good amount of the night up in pain again - standing causes them to go away, but of course ten days of this is really getting to be rough on me. I have tried laying in bed just to see if they would progress and I would move forward with true labor, but after an hour or two of laying there it is just unbearable. The weird thing is that during the day I can nap (although I typically am not a long napper during the day so I am pretty tired) without having this same issue.

I have tried hands and knees, knee-chest, etc thinking she might be in a weird position, but each night this happens all over again.

I have a very naturally minded doctor and she last saw me at 36 weeks and told me I didn't have to come back until 38 weeks which is nice - that will be Monday that I will see her, and I will talk with her then. I don't really see any point in calling her before that, but thought maybe some of the doulas or midwives here might have some ideas for me. I have talked with my own doula (who is also a friend), and like I said I did all those things that I would tell my clients to do if they were me
#2 of 12 Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM

I'm not a midwife or doula but I immediately think 'malposition'.

Read up at http://www.spinningbabies.com and maybe you can determine baby's position and help her get into a better one.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#3 of 12 Old 07-18-2008, 09:51 PM

I'm not a midwife either. And I've only had three little buggers! :-) I'm a birth doula. But I know each pregnancy is different in the end. The fact that you can sleep during the day and not have these contractions makes me think they might still be your body's way of "practicing". I know with my third baby I had only one episode where contractions were "painful" and thought, this is it, and then they just stopped. 7 days later at 38 weeks I delivered. All of mine are a bit early like yours too.

Are you a frequent BH mama? I had ALOT of those from VERY early on in pregnancy and early dilation. Maybe your body is just dilating slowly for you. And doing it with more pain this time around. I do agree with PP though that it is possible there is a position issue. You may want to check that out since this has gone on several days.

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
#4 of 12 Old 07-18-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
I'm not a midwife or doula but I immediately think 'malposition'.

Read up at http://www.spinningbabies.com and maybe you can determine baby's position and help her get into a better one.
I am pretty sure she is now in a good position, but then again you just never know

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaAlicia View Post
I'm not a midwife either. And I've only had three little buggers! :-) I'm a birth doula. But I know each pregnancy is different in the end. The fact that you can sleep during the day and not have these contractions makes me think they might still be your body's way of "practicing". I know with my third baby I had only one episode where contractions were "painful" and thought, this is it, and then they just stopped. 7 days later at 38 weeks I delivered. All of mine are a bit early like yours too.

Are you a frequent BH mama? I had ALOT of those from VERY early on in pregnancy and early dilation. Maybe your body is just dilating slowly for you. And doing it with more pain this time around. I do agree with PP though that it is possible there is a position issue. You may want to check that out since this has gone on several days.
I have had lots of BH but they are never painful. This stuff at night is so painful, and I wish I could say that I am dilating slowly, but I checked that out. I didn't want to go to the hospital unnecessarily and so I checked my own cervix and I am still just a fingertip dilated (right where I have been since about six or seven months).

The nice thing about all of this is that I keep reminding myself that this will not go on forever and she will be born and that in the whole scope of life this is just a blip on the radar.
#5 of 12 Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcdoula View Post

I have had lots of BH but they are never painful. This stuff at night is so painful, and I wish I could say that I am dilating slowly, but I checked that out. I didn't want to go to the hospital unnecessarily and so I checked my own cervix and I am still just a fingertip dilated (right where I have been since about six or seven months).
I've had clients go through similar painful contrax for days, go to hospital, get sent home for no progress of cervix, and come back later on and deliver their babies right when they arrive at the hospital!! I've seen this several times. The body works in mysterious ways. You may not be able to feel dilation but something is happening! I promise. :-)

Of course if it is too concerning and your Mommy intuition is telling you to get it checked, you should!

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
#6 of 12 Old 07-18-2008, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had this from 33 weeks with my daughter and 32 weeks with my son. Both of them I labored for six weeks with prodromal labor. Others call it an irritable uterus. It can be frustrating, exHAUSTing, and just plain annoying.

Have you tried magnesium to calm it down so that you can sleep? Or a warm bath (m/b epsom salt bath w/lavendar)and a unisom? How about some skullcap/passionflower/St. John's Wort? Do you think you might need to bind your belly up snug, to put the baby into the pelvis?

If none of that works (I used to sleep in the bathtub. Really), I strongly suggest making sure that you have a LOT of help at home when you are post partum because you will be absolutely, positively, WHUPPED after you have that baby and sleep like the absolute dead when you finally are able to sleep.

Sorry you're going through it, it really stinks!!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#7 of 12 Old 07-19-2008, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaAlicia View Post
I've had clients go through similar painful contrax for days, go to hospital, get sent home for no progress of cervix, and come back later on and deliver their babies right when they arrive at the hospital!! I've seen this several times. The body works in mysterious ways. You may not be able to feel dilation but something is happening! I promise. :-)

Of course if it is too concerning and your Mommy intuition is telling you to get it checked, you should!
No - it really isn't the concerning just miserable LOL. I feel like such a bad mom because I am up all night long and so tired during the day that I take several cat naps, but other then that I am not overly concerned. I know my body will do what it needs to - it just is getting old
#8 of 12 Old 07-19-2008, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
I had this from 33 weeks with my daughter and 32 weeks with my son. Both of them I labored for six weeks with prodromal labor. Others call it an irritable uterus. It can be frustrating, exHAUSTing, and just plain annoying.

Have you tried magnesium to calm it down so that you can sleep? Or a warm bath (m/b epsom salt bath w/lavendar)and a unisom? How about some skullcap/passionflower/St. John's Wort? Do you think you might need to bind your belly up snug, to put the baby into the pelvis?

If none of that works (I used to sleep in the bathtub. Really), I strongly suggest making sure that you have a LOT of help at home when you are post partum because you will be absolutely, positively, WHUPPED after you have that baby and sleep like the absolute dead when you finally are able to sleep.

Sorry you're going through it, it really stinks!!
The only thing I have tried from the above is taking a shower - taking a bath won't happen here because my tub is so small that most of me is above the water LOLOL. Unfortunately when we built this house our builder put in the wrong tub - a cheap and small one, so I won't even try a bath LOLOL.

I will definitely have lots of support after the baby comes because my dh is taking off for a minimum of two weeks (after that I decide what happens - the two weeks was really my choice - he wants longer so we will see). Plus I will have my 18 yr old ds, 17 yr old dd who are both very, very helpful and if possible my 20 yr old dd will come home too (depends on when my darling comes because she is taking summer courses that I don't want her missing).
#9 of 12 Old 07-19-2008, 12:56 PM

Maybe a glass of wine before bed will help.
I love that your children are alphabetically named, are you hoping to reach the M's and stop?? 5 more to go. :
#10 of 12 Old 07-19-2008, 05:37 PM

A lady in my Bradley class had this same thing happen two years ago. Turned out baby had a hand up by her head. Do the contractions happen when you're lying down on just one side or both? I can't imagine going through days of prodromal labor; you mommas who do are super-strong. I hope you have your little one soon and/or that she settles down!
#11 of 12 Old 07-19-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewi View Post

Maybe a glass of wine before bed will help.
I love that your children are alphabetically named, are you hoping to reach the M's and stop?? 5 more to go. :
LOL - oh know this is my last little darling. I cannot be pregnant again - although I know I am not that old this pregnancy has definitely taken its toll on me!
#12 of 12 Old 07-19-2008, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieM View Post
A lady in my Bradley class had this same thing happen two years ago. Turned out baby had a hand up by her head. Do the contractions happen when you're lying down on just one side or both? I can't imagine going through days of prodromal labor; you mommas who do are super-strong. I hope you have your little one soon and/or that she settles down!
Neither side is better to be honest. The only thing that helps is standing. I have tried my left side, right side, semi sitting with lots of pillows (I always end up sliding down so that doesn't help anyhow LOL).

My fifth child was actually born with her hand up by her head - at the time they thought I broke her arm because it was so terribly bruised, but thankfully it was just bruised. Even with her though I never had this

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page