Balancing homeschooling / doula work - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-21-2008, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing a birth / postpartum doula CAPPA training in November and am homeschooling my two boys (ages 5 & 7). I'm also in massage school.

I will be putting together a part-time practice (bodywork, some kind of doula work) and would like to hear from others how they have balanced, in particular, birth doula work with homeschooling.

It would be a *very* limited part of my practice, probably 2-3 births /year. But still, it brings up child care and other issues for us as we have no family nearby.

Any thoughts, suggestions, experience to share?

TIA
Jenny
#2 of 11 Old 07-21-2008, 05:59 PM

The "loving DH" will take care of the boys while you're at a birth and you hire a babysitter for when he is at work. Or he takes the day off if it is only a couple of times a year.

Or a combination of husband and exchange childcare with another doula in the area.
#3 of 11 Old 07-21-2008, 06:08 PM

I am in exactly the same boat, you will need a good friend or family member to cover for you...or find a really good baby-sitter that you're comfortable with...who will work long hours. Likely, your husband will need to be willing and able to take off from time to time...I know, that is hard a lot of the time and can't be done at all for some people. I have a very close friend who lives an hour away, she comes and stays with my kids, but untill she gets here I have a neighbor who will watch them...but I can leave my kids in a pinch because they do have older brothers. ARE you part of a good homeschool group? You really should be if at all possible...there are all kinds of resources available through that!

You'll figure it out!

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
#4 of 11 Old 07-21-2008, 06:09 PM

My husband is able to come home for births right now. And that is a good idea especially if it will only be a few times a year. I also am in a local Mom's Club. I've got a couple of backup sitters through that. They know I will call last minute, etc. and they don't work so it usually works out. Also if you homeschool most areas have homeschooling groups. If you are a part of something like that maybe you can find a sitter there, another Mom that will be home anyway and is willing to bog up her schedule only a few times a year.

And as PP said maybe another doula in your area that is also a Stay at Home Mom.

Good Luck! I know it is tough. I've got the doula stuff, moving into cbe, president of my Mom's Club, and full time Mom...!! Considering Homeschooling but haven't arrived there yet!

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
#5 of 11 Old 07-21-2008, 06:12 PM

Oh, and if you call around enough you may be able to find daycares that allow occasional drop off. That is more difficult to find and sometimes scary for the kids though since they don't know the teachers well.

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
#6 of 11 Old 07-23-2008, 12:00 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#7 of 11 Old 07-23-2008, 08:18 PM

I'm not a doula, but a midwife. we are thinking of pulling out all the children to homeschool this year for several reasons, however, i sit here and think how stressed i already am and whether I can find the time in the day to get it all done.

is it OK for midwives to join in? i do visits on tues at the other midwives home and thursdays at my home. My dream was that I would do visits, my children would play quietly, get some work done, and then in=between visits, I would come out of my home office and eat lunch, read to them, take a walk, etc. however, what usually happens is everyone is fighting, they are running around screaming, the older ones feel taken advantage of, they interrupt the visits, not at all like I planned.

Then there's the actual births and postpartums, emergency visits, office work, etc. so I already ask my older girls and DH to help alot around the house, and we are totally ADD and disorganized as a family.

so I am wondering how others who homeschool and doula/midwife do it? What your schedule looks like? how many hours/week/month you are gone? how do you make up time when you are gone for 2 days in a row, things like that?

i am at a point right now where I am craving some sort of schedule, and yet, my husband (who works from home during the day and sees clients at night) and myself have picked jobs that are very much not schedule oriented. both our jobs and our course homeschooling require a lot of self motivation and determination,something I find myself lacking these days.

I know others do it, and I do believe homeschooling everyone would benefit our entire family, but i am just afraid that I am taking on more than I can manage!
#8 of 11 Old 07-26-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi315 View Post
is it OK for midwives to join in?
yes, please!

great perspectives, thank you all--I have many homeschooling contacts but it had never occurred to me that there could be some nice reciprocity somewhere in all of this.

Up until recently we've been dealing with some major behavioral issues with my older son. now that those are quieting down for the moment I actually think it might be possible for something like that. Although, I think the older one is going to be one of those "I want to see the baby get born!!!" kiddos. the younger one would be fine doing a drop off at a friend's house for the morning till the baby was born.

Great ideas and will look forward to others if they are forthcoming.

Jenny
#9 of 11 Old 07-27-2008, 01:27 AM

As a MW, I'm blessed enough to have a *very* supportive WAH DP, so childcare mostly isn't an issue.
I've taken DD to a lot of births with me (well, 5 or 6, but that's a lot for a 5yo "apprentice MW ) and most of the time she falls asleep before the 'big moment'. somehow babies like to get born at night. candlelight makes such a beautiful birth environment.
I have attended births where DP wasn't available, and we arranged to have a friend of the birthing parents to come and be "birth assistant", which included taking care of my DD, as well, as bringing hot compresses and taking photos, etc

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#10 of 11 Old 07-30-2008, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
I have attended births where DP wasn't available, and we arranged to have a friend of the birthing parents to come and be "birth assistant", which included taking care of my DD, as well, as bringing hot compresses and taking photos, etc
OK, now the ideas are really rolling. Thank you for this one.
#11 of 11 Old 07-30-2008, 07:11 AM

:

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page