Is barter dead? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would anyone here accept barter if a client offered it?

I noticed my midwife doesn't have a website (one of the few in the area that doesn't) and her business name is available as a domain. I've also noticed that she has several typos on her handouts ( a pet peeve of mine) and she's not comfortable with computer software so she leaves them instead of fixing them. Since I'm a bit of a tech geek and am also taking a html course this fall I thought we could help each other out by me setting her up a web page and fixing her documents in exchange for a discount on her fee.

I feel really bad approaching her though as it seems that barter is kind of a thing of the past. If I suggest it to her is it going to look like I don't value her time or am just trying to get out of paying?

What do you all think? Would you consider a professional job in exchange for a professional job a viable option if a client approached you with it?
#2 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 12:47 PM

i'm a doula and i absolutley would barter. it sounds like you can provide something she could use. i see no harm in offering.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#3 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 12:48 PM

As a doula, I'd barter for things that I really need (and have in the past). One client's partner painted our house. I waited forever, hoping for a client who could install wood floors, and am now hoping for one who can build a fence (can you tell we are not very handy? )

It never, ever hurts to ask!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#4 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 12:49 PM

My midwife loves to barter - unfortunately for us, we don't have any skills I felt we could have offered up.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#5 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you can ask
it depends on if the mw can afford to barter, and if she will value the service- and if you can agree on the value of the service--- which is part of how bartering ends up not simple nor always comfortable--
things to consider
what would be the per hr value of the service for a small business like hers- bigger business can and do afford to pay more to professionals
how long will you provide the service for- updates and management for x length of time
often mws are reluctant to do trades that will extend beyond the time of birth because time management and priorities change for new moms - sometimes contracts can be made up for contingencies but in states where it isn't legal to practice mw a contract can be a bit of evidence against a mw
barter is taxable income.......

and if you can organize your info/thoughts before you ask it may be simpler to achieve.
#6 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Would anyone here accept barter if a client offered it?
Depending on the barter, absolutely!!!! I have with doula clients and my preceptor has with homebirth clients. Things like chiropractic care, haircuts, handy-man work, and childcare. I had one client who before finding out she needed a c/s was going to barter with some massages.

If you came to me with that barter offer I would accept it in a heartbeat!

With the state of insurance in our country and considering many women who want to homebirth simply can't afford to, I feel very strongly about bartering. I think it should be a part of a midwife's practice.
#7 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would barter if it is something I could use and was completely laid out for me. I would want to see something like:

web design and hosting and updates for x many months/years valued at $x
redesign of handouts estimated x hours for $x/hour= $x value

Total value= $x

And then if there is a remaining portion that you would owe on top of that, add that to the list as well.

I think that would be a great way to approach it with her as a possible plan and only she can decide if it is something she would be willing to barter for. It is worth approaching her with though!

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#8 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 02:15 PM

I'm a midwife and I LOVE TO BARTER! Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes. I would gladly barter for a sleek, cool website. Or lawncare. Or housecleaning. Or a new car.
#9 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm not a midwife, but as a doula I would love that type of barter. Not only are you trading your time, but it will help her to get more business, so it's quite valuable.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#10 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 02:50 PM

I'm a doula, and I would absolutely barter. Especially for childcare. As others have said, if it were something we needed, definately. I'm not sure I'd take someone up on barter for something that we didn't do anyway.

I was wondering, though, if this midwife may just not really care about a website, etc. Some like to keep things low-tech, or already have the amount of clients that they can handle, etc. So that leaves it up to whether it's something she really desires.
#11 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
As a doula, I'd barter for things that I really need (and have in the past). One client's partner painted our house. I waited forever, hoping for a client who could install wood floors, and am now hoping for one who can build a fence (can you tell we are not very handy? )

It never, ever hurts to ask!
I so thought about your wood floors when I saw this post!
#12 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 04:17 PM

I dont think it can hurt to ask. the worst she can say is no. I think that sometimes a partial trade/barter is more attractive, since they wll be getting *some* money, unless the skill/item you have to barter is truly worth the complete cost of her services. Like you said, setting up a website for a discount/reduction in fee sounds very reasonable, *IF* she is interested in having a website. Perhaps she would even need her records/appts/handouts/paperwork overhauled, digitalized, etc.....

CPST
#13 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 04:33 PM

I'm a doula and CBE, and I love to barter for services or things that I need. For example, I have a client who couldn't pay me completely in cash, and I don't accept credit cards. But a store at which I shop accepts credit cards, so the client got me a gift card to said store. I've also bartered for lawn and landscaping services, in the past. I am completely in favor or the barter economy, so I'd seriously consider your offer, if it were me.
#14 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmama33 View Post
I'm a doula and CBE, and I love to barter for services or things that I need. For example, I have a client who couldn't pay me completely in cash, and I don't accept credit cards. But a store at which I shop accepts credit cards, so the client got me a gift card to said store. I've also bartered for lawn and landscaping services, in the past. I am completely in favor or the barter economy, so I'd seriously consider your offer, if it were me.

A good way to accept credit cards is to use PayPal. I have found this an awesome option for families that need it!
#15 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 05:26 PM

I have bartered.

My client asked me if I wanted to barter, she was selling a car for $500. She knew I was looking for a car, she wanted doula services.
I gave her $500. postpartum doula time.

Ask your midwife, she can say no.
I have also donated my services for fundraising events.

Sometimes we really only need money to pay our bills!
#16 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
A good way to accept credit cards is to use PayPal. I have found this an awesome option for families that need it!

Pam,
I have been thinking of doing this, how much do you have to pay to paypal?
#17 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 05:32 PM

As a doula I have bartered before and it worked out very well. Like previous posters have said, be sure to outline exactly what you are willing to do and for how long. You may also want to consider giving her an estimate on what she can expect to pay for upkeep of a website after your bartering time is over.

-Annie
#18 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
My midwife loves to barter - unfortunately for us, we don't have any skills I felt we could have offered up.
That's the same for us.....sadly there's no skills that we necessarily have either.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#19 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 PM

I'm really hoping the midwife DH and I choose will accept a barter agreement. I will need to use a CPM that isn't on my insurance companies provider list therefore, I know I will have a heck of a time getting reimbursement.

My husband has awesome woodworking skills, so we could totally trade furniture for midwifery expertise!
#20 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate everyones responses. She was open to the idea : We're now just discussing how much of the cost will be covered in exchange before she makes a final decision. Having a very limited budget and needing to upgrade from car to van with this birth, a barter will be a true blessing. I'm very excited to see if it works out.
#21 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 08:29 PM

Here is the PayPal page with information on pricing for businesses: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...ricing-outside

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#22 of 23 Old 07-24-2008, 11:21 PM

Glad to here it sounds promissing!

I was going to comment on Pams "or a new car." post, it cracked me up, then I saw dewi's post about bartering her services for a car, LOL. I love it.

I feel like our country lost one of its most precious things when people stopped bartering.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#23 of 23 Old 07-25-2008, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glad to hear she accepted! I LOVE bartering!

I coveted a pottery barn entry way bench with lockers that has cubbies on top and shelves for shoes on the bottom for literally YEARS for my back entry way. There are just way too many expenses in our lives to really even consider putting the expense of that into our budget right now, or for some time to come. This winter I came across a couple who were potential doula clients but literally didn't know where their next meal was coming from because he is a WOODWORKER and we are in literally the worst economy in the united states right now...not many people are building houses with fine woood work in our area! I commented on the crown molding in their trailer, which they inhereted from her brother when he moved out of country. She proudly said, "My Dh did it...and the mantle too, and those shelves!" Her face beamed. I would have gladly done the birth for free, but the husband strolled in, and asked casually, "Why, do you need some wood work done?" All of a sudden the bench popped into my mind. I said, "Well, actually...would you consider..." He felt very proud to be so directly contributing to the birth experience that his wife was looking for, and I got something that I never would otherwise have been able to afford (and since it was made to fit, well, it looks perfect in the space!).

And so, the week before their son was born, I was the proud new owner of a beautifully hand crafted, better than pottery barn, stained to match the rest of our woodwork, bench/locker/shelving unit.

Did I mention that I LOVE barter!?

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page