Is this standard?! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 08-12-2008, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As I mentioned in the other thread and my PMs to you, I am SO, SO sorry for your course of events. I cannot even fathom this.

There is no doubt that I barely escaped this woman. It's bad enough that she forgets everything (birth pool for you, thyroid tests for me, etc.), doesn't show up for appointments (and doesn't call because she loses phone numbers), and acts like she knows better than a woman's intuition. But, WTH? Rusty scissors? Not accompanying you? Not following through? Not caring at all what her behavior caused? I also just realized that the first appointment she missed for me was when she was "attending" your birth (and I use that term loosely).

Oh, and as a (now former) patient of this woman, I can assure everyone that she most certainly PROMISES to accompany her patients to the hospital in the event of a transfer. She told me this a few times -- how important it is for her to follow through. She didn't follow through for you, of course. Why would it be any different for anyone else? What a nightmare you have dealt with.

I know nothing about legal issues. But I do know that, according to her client info packet, she doesn't carry malpractice insurance.
#32 of 43 Old 08-12-2008, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
with your history you are way out of my scope of practice even with exceptions I go with 1 exception/special circumstance but with your case there were several--

in any case you may have been in active labor with scar tissue keeping your cervix from dilating -- sometimes scar tissue will break up on it's own, but not always --- with a bicornuate uterus the septum could tear away- also can make for very unusual contraction patterns

as for scissors getting rusty-- maybe if she put them in a pan of water to boil them up and they sat for a while--- she probably needs some instrument milk -- this is also why using an autoclave is better - it protects your tools less wear and tear--

so now my personal complaint--physicans or medical professionals who also provide midwifery care can be a great gift for some people, but who are their peers? are there others who also do the same or similar scope of practice so that they can support and help to trouble shoot as well as develop safe protocols with? she doesn't have a leg to stand on with the regular medical community just doing homebirth in general (not to mention high risk births)and probably for most midwives her scope is past what they can do/provide perhaps CNMs who do home births would be the closest peer group--

------------
as for abruption - the ones I have been around/ none too severe the blood caused contractions strong labor contractions but I have not heard a mom talk about other pain that was not associated with the contraction - also decreased fetal movement tends to be one of the classic signs coupled with fast/frequent hard contractions -- now I have talked with one woman who was in my homeschool group who had a uterine rupture during the birth of her 10th baby (mom and baby were fine) the rupture occured during pushing- and she described pain- pain that started and did not come and go with contractions ---

--------------
take care
#33 of 43 Old 08-12-2008, 08:49 AM

Erika,

I had a placental abruption w/my first baby, at 29 weeks 5 days. Very similar to yours, except that b/c of prematurity I went straight to the hospital via ambulance.

Listen, your body and your intuition were telling you something was wrong, and YOU TRUSTED IT!!! It was not you at fault--it was your midwife's for not listening to you and trusting a mother's intuition. You trusted her to listen to you and to help take care of you and your baby, and she allowed her personal biases about laboring mothers or something get in her way of hearing what was laid on your heart! You did nothing wrong, except to place your trust in a professional who should have done better that night. I'm so glad your friends and family were there that night--there's a reason things work out the way that they do!

I knew all week long that something wasn't right and was headed south, but my midwife didn't believe me either, b/c nothing had been seen at any of my visits w/her or my doctors. My bp started to get a little wacky, started getting dizzy and seeing spots, my hands and face swelled off and on-all signs of preeclampsia.

As for my little 2 lbs 10 oz 29 weeker who inhaled my blood and stayed in the NICU for 38 days (one like where your ds may be transferred to), he will be 3 yrs old on Thursday and is thriving. He had issues due to prematurity that were a bit more long term, and lung damage that is both the prematurity and the blood in his lungs (respiratory distress at birth, resussitated, intubated, etc). He ended up w/asthma and RAD (reactive airway disease), but it's beginning to go away now, and he's not on any meds for it at all. He even caught a cold a few weeks ago and didn't need any asthma meds or treatments for it. He's smart and funny and does everything he should (and a lot he shouldn't!)

Hang in there--I'm not a professional in this field--just a mama w/a bit of similar experience and I want to give you some hope right now. They will take excellent care of your baby, but never be afraid to trust your intution and go at 'em Mama Bear style when necessary! It's okay to ask questions and be demanding about his care--just do your best to be open minded and respectful when discussing things w/his caregivers. Try to find one-two nurses and docs that you really mesh with and keep in close touch w/them. It helps.

Best wishes!

mrsfru
#34 of 43 Old 08-13-2008, 05:05 PM

How is the baby, now?

I'm just stunned by this story. Every MW makes mistakes...but as a professional, you have a responsibility to own up to them, at the very least. It's one of the things that, I think, separates the MWs from the OBs. MWs don't hide behind malpractice insurance- their relationship and the trust with their client is paramount. Very few MWs will ever be sued (in comparison with OBs), even when something does go wrong, because their clients know and trust them to do their best. And mistakes do happen. But this? It borders on gross negligence, even with all of the aside explanations (outer bag could have broken, etc.) because she didn't go with you to the hospital and follow up with your care.

It's so disappointing, and a little scary, to hear a story like this.

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#35 of 43 Old 08-13-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. I am not online as much as usual because I am at the hospital alot. Benjamin is still critical, but he is doing slightly better. They have weaned him off dopamine and his blood pressure is good, and they weaned him off nitric oxide and his saturations are still good. He is on 100 percent oxygen and the vent still, and constnat drips of fenol? and morphine to keep him sedated and calm. I have seen him with his eyes open a few times now and he sucks on his vent cords like he is nursing! I still havent touched him and he is still unstable, according to them, although he hasnt gotten worse, and his blood gas test came back better then it has yet yesterday. I just know God is gong to heal him.

My midwife was a midwife first since the 70's I believe, then in the 90's went to med school and now runs a family practice and does homebirths. She is a D.O. She still hasnt contacted to ask how baby or I are, although some people from mothering are contacting her to tell her I am saying bad things about her, which is not true. I am saying what happened. She KNOWS she did something wrong or she would have contacted me by now. I was in the hospital with pre eclampsia for 4 days, she could have found me. Pride. People think theyare so smart and cant admit when they were wrong. And made a potentially deadly mistake.

Erika, wife to geek.gif and Mommy to twins.gif born in 05, coolshine.gif born in 06, biggrinbounce.gif born in 08! Ive had 8 miscarriagesmecry.gif and am praying.gif for a sticky bean in December 2012! I homeschool.gifsaynovax.gifwinner.jpg and hope for a hbac.gif!

#36 of 43 Old 08-13-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I'm just stunned by this story. Every MW makes mistakes...
Can we stop referring to this woman as a midwife? She's is a doctor after all, and doesn't sound like she was acting in any way like a midwife! (Is she even credentialed as a midwife any longer?)
#37 of 43 Old 08-13-2008, 07:19 PM

I'm sorry you're getting grief. I think every mother has a right to state how they were provided for by their caregivers. We wouldn't say wonderful things about a store that treated us poorly, and we certainly shouldn't about a medical provider that others are trusting their lives with. I'm glad to hear your son is improving and hope to continue to get updates.
#38 of 43 Old 08-13-2008, 10:56 PM

take care of you and your family- regardless of what others think I think that writing or talking about it is processing and can help, sorry if it is bringing you grief -- If I lived near by I would have called your provider and my advice to her would be to call you or go by and visit- I think/ actually know that doctors ,often get the opposite advice they are coached to stay away and limit contact- by both friends and legal advisors -
what a disturbing experience all the way around...
take care and hope that your baby improves soon--
#39 of 43 Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3babies View Post
She still hasnt contacted to ask how baby or I are, although some people from mothering are contacting her to tell her I am saying bad things about her, which is not true. I am saying what happened. She KNOWS she did something wrong or she would have contacted me by now. I was in the hospital with pre eclampsia for 4 days, she could have found me. Pride. People think theyare so smart and cant admit when they were wrong. And made a potentially deadly mistake.
I feel it's unfortunate that people are contacting her, saying that you are saying bad things about her. I don't see where you said anything that is wrong. You told your very sad story. I can see why you did...and honestly, I am SO glad you did. Why would you tell your story if it weren't true, especially because many of us know to whom you are referring?

I agree with you. If she knew she didn't do something wrong, she would have checked on you. It is pride, I believe. She doesn't want to admit that her behavior caused this. It is still unbelievable to me how all this went down.

I am glad Benji is doing a bit better. You're both still in my thoughts.
#40 of 43 Old 08-14-2008, 04:27 AM

even a perfect mw, after a perfect birth with no complications would be neglegent for no follow up post natal.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#41 of 43 Old 08-14-2008, 12:03 PM

This DOCTOR obviously missed the most important part of home birth attendance - the part where the health care provider trusts the mother's body and intuitions.

She is medically liable and should be held to those standards. I hope you follow thorugh and file a formal complaint against this DOCTOR.

Angela <><
#42 of 43 Old 08-15-2008, 03:39 PM

there is an update on the homebirth thread--

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...5#post11952305
#43 of 43 Old 08-15-2008, 07:00 PM

I am so, so sorry you went through all this! I don't believe a midwife's competence is much related to the "type" as I have seen wonderful direct entry midwives w/ no certification, hideously awful CNMs, and everything in between. This midwife sounds negligent to me. I always tell my students that if they feel like something is wrong, some instinct tells them, that their partners (in class w/ them) need to make sure someone listens to them. IMO moms just KNOW a lot of the time, well before a fetal monitor or outside person could pick up on it. I hope your LO is okay.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page