What does a pathological retraction ring look like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2008, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have a picture? Google images wasn't doing it for me.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2008, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
also called Bandl's ring

probably a pic in one of the OB texts like Williams or Oxhorn and Foote -- it occurs just before you have a rupture from obstruction so I hope to never have a pic of it--
Old 09-01-2008, 12:24 AM

I've only heard of it as a finding at c-section - as in, it was visible on the surface of the uterus itself, when exposed through the incision.
The lower segment of the uterus is suppose to thin out with labor, as the cervix disappears (dilates) and becomes one with the lower segment. With the "ring" - the lower segment wasn't getting the thinning, and was thick, but there was a line around the uterus, with a thinned out middle segment above it.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

There might not be a "picture" of it per se, but an illustration would be good. I don't have any "heavy duty" midwifery texts at my disposal at the moment besides Frye, and she doesn't include an illustration of this.

If it really is only observed during a c-section, someone ought to notify the state of South Carolina!

I'm studying South Carolina midwifery law because I'm sitting for my oral exam in a couple months. It states that if any midwifery client develops a pathological retraction ring, I am to consult or refer to a physician. So much of the law doesn't seem to make sense or ought to be written differently, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is nonsense.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
Old 09-01-2008, 11:24 AM

I have some good pics in an old version of a maternity nursing text, but I don't have a scanner at my house (sorry!). I doubt you'll find an actual picture, but there are drawings in many text books.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Do you have a camera so you could take a picture of the picture?

Are they pictures of an exposed uterus, or pictures of an intact abdomen? Is it something you should be able to identify looking at a laboring woman based on the illustrations? Or is it something you'd only see during surgery? Can you describe the illustration at all?

Thanks!! As I mentioned, I don't have any text books with me except the Frye series. The rest are in storage or I don't own them, and the local library has zilch.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

oops, weird double post!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:38 PM

I understand that on a thin mom, you might be able to see it through the belly as a dip or narrowing right above the pubic bone.

One of my clients had this during her first pregnancy which ended in a c-section and we were watching for it with her second, which also ended in a c-section for failure to progress/failure to descend. I think she had the only case of true CPD I have seen.

Anne Frye's book has a picture, I think.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:06 PM

I am pretty sure I have some pics (illustrations, not photos) in some of my texts. I don't have time to do it right now, but if you want to pm me your email addy I will take a look a bit later this morning and send you what I can. (no scanner but I can take pics with my camera)
Old 09-01-2008, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

That would be great, PMing you!

Old 09-01-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
I understand that on a thin mom, you might be able to see it through the belly as a dip or narrowing right above the pubic bone.
Yes, it can be mistaken for a distended bladder.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ah ha there is Google books- here is one page it is in Lusk's -- it is a uterine picture though not a pic from the out side

http://books.google.com/books?id=fqz...rr=1#PPA144,M1

and a different illustration from another text

http://books.google.com/books?id=zuQ...g&lr=&as_brr=1

User Tag List