Vitex in first trimester? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-17-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like midwives' opinions on this. Is it safe to use vitex throughout the first trimester to prevent miscarriage in a low-progesterone mom? I've read different things on the net about vitex. I've read that vitex should be taken from menstruation to ovuluation, but I've also read that it's okay to take it until pregnancy is confirmed, but then it must be stopped. I've also read that some women have used it to prevent miscarriage in the first trimester. Which is correct?

Would it be better to take vitex from menstruation to ovulation and then use natural progesterone cream from ovulation until next menstruation, but continue use if pregnancy is confirmed?
#2 of 2 Old 09-18-2008, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can’t comment on its use during pregnancy because I am not a midwife and have not done that much research on vitex use during pregnancy BUT only using it from O to menstruation is not going to benefit you.

Vitex takes a while to get in the system and work (like 12 weeks). You need to take a higher dose like 800-1000 mg for 8-12 weeks then drop down to a low regular dose 400 mg for the long term. Taking it for 2 weeks will do nothing from what I understand.

I really wish I could find a book that is a good resource because everything I read on the internet regarding vitex has very different recommendations.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page