Sugar cravings! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that there is the theory that sugar cravings are a sign of protein deficiency, so I've been working on that (though I do feel like my intake is adequate...could be better certainly but I'm not starving myself of protein by any means).

Is the other best way to beat these to cut out sugar altogether? I know it can be somewhat of an addiction and if you just go cold turkey you can kind of "reset" your metabolism.

A lot of it I will fully admit is emotional eating. I am someone who thoroughly enjoys a beer or a glass of wine at the end of day especially when they're extra stressful (fairly often with 2 toddlers). So since I can't have that while pg, I think cupcakes and cookies fit the bill. Though I also just have a sweet tooth in general. I've also just felt like crap for a lot of this pregnancy and it's sort of been a weird way of comforting myself, even though I fully realize it doesn't help anything and only makes things worse.

any suggestions?

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008, 08:28 PM

No suggestions. Just wanted to say I'm in the same boat. I have been really trying to increase my protein. I'm at about 100 grams a day. It has helped a bit, but I still am craving sugar. So, when I do want sugar, I have something like cereal (Read: can't stop eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch) instead of cookies. It hits the spot and at least has some nutritional value (albeit, not much!).
Old 09-20-2008, 03:27 AM

Try a single piece of chocolate, like a dark chocolate square. Then see how slowly you can eat it. Also try eating more consistently throughout the day (every 1.5hrs) to keep your blood sugar stable.

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob

User Tag List