How long does it take for the cervix to close? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-24-2008, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last time i remember feeling like my cervix was still open (or maybe just really low?) the first time we had sex at about 8 weeks PP. That seems like a really long time. So, on average, how long does it take for a cervix to close after birth? I know it never goes back to totally closed, but as closed as it will get.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-24-2008, 12:37 PM

It was probably pretty low. The cervix closes back up pretty quickly after the birth. It should be completely closed by 10-14 days postpartum, if memory serves.

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.
#3 of 5 Old 09-24-2008, 03:30 PM

I used STM of NFP to prevent pregnancy for 12 cycles before we achieved our first planned pregnancy, so I had 350-400 experiences with checking my cervix for position, firmness/softness, and degree of openness. I began checking fertility signs again around 7 weeks pp, when I simultaneously had to leave the baby to return to work and also began having sex again. My cervix was waaaaay more open at 7 weeks than it had been before pregnancy, and it took about 7 months for mine to close up (during infertile periods) to the degree it finally settled on. As in, my "closed" cervix is not as closed as pre-pregnancy, but there has been no more closing since about 7 months.

Are you having pain during intercourse, or feelings like your cervix is being bumped?
#4 of 5 Old 09-24-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Not currently, but DD is 22 months old now and I am 16 weeks pregnant. I did feel very painful and like my cervix was getting hit, even with very shallow penetration. Forget about anything deep. It lasted till probably 7-8 months PP for me.

I had ended up with a c-section, but i had gotten fully dilated and was pushing for 3+ hrs before it, so I wasn't sure if it was something that happened (trauma) or if it was normal.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#5 of 5 Old 09-24-2008, 05:54 PM

What you have to remember is that your cervix changes after you have had a baby. It is no longer ever going to be round and closed tightly like it was pre pregnancy. It changes shape to be more like a slit and it will often admit a fingertip easily.

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page