Natural Remedies for Low Progesterone... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-11-2008, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, Apparently I had low progesterone during my first trimester and my doctor immediately started me on the natural progesterone shots. I took them for about a month, until around the end of my first trimester. About two weeks after the last shot, he took my blood again, and is saying that my progesterone has dropped and is suggesting that I continue to take the shots. My original level at about six weeks was 20.77. I don't know what my levels were while I was taking the shots. The last level taken after two weeks off the shots was 17.5. There are two problems with continuing the shots: 1) I don't have the money (my insurance doesn't cover it and they cost about $120 per month) and 2) the shots almost completely debilitate me to the point where I am barely able to crawl out of bed to feed myself and my children, much less do anything else. This was bad enough last month when my husband was coming home around dinner time adn I could at least count on his help from that point on, but now it will be much worse because, for a while at least, he will not be coming home until 8pm -- after the kids already need to be ready for bed.
So this has sent me on a quest for an alternative treatment for this problem. I have found several herbal remedies, but they seem to be for while you are in a menstrual cycle and say not to take them once you get pregnant. I have been trying to look up what could CAUSE this low progesterone, and it seems that adrenal fatigue might be the closest answer I can get, besides the plastic all of our food and drink seems to come in.
Anything you ladies could suggest or explain would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 10-11-2008, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are other ways to deliver progesterone and one of those might have fewer side effects for you. Most of my fertility clients who need progesterone end up on a cream like crinone or an over-the-counter version (which usually contain 1/2 to 1/4 as much progesterone as the prescription varieties). I don't know what it costs, but the OTC versions are about $30 a month or so.

One thing you could do that is relatively cheap and low-side-effect is take 50mg of vitamin B6 per day. I have seen that bump up levels a little bit just on its own.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page