catheter for not peeing after birth- will it happen at next birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2008, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for information for my friend.
Her first birth was natural, unmedicated, 3 hours pushing- after birth she wasn't able to pee (I think she said for 12 hours) so she was given a catheter. After the catheter, she peed fine.
Her second birth she had an epidural, pitocin, baby came out with a few pushes. Unable to pee. They gave her a catheter, emptied the bladder, gave her a chance to pee- she couldn't, did another catheter etc. etc.
On the third catheter she was in excruciating pain. Dr. told her she would probably need a catheter after her next birth too b/c it must just be the way her body is and that she should tell them to give her a permanent catheter before her epidural wears off. (Dr. of course was assuming she would get an epidural w/ the next birth).
She is feeling conflicted about birthing naturally this time, partly b/c she feel like she might go through all the pain of labor only to have the pain of a catheter waiting for her.

My friends question is-
is it a given that she will need a catheter after this birth too?
is there any explanation why she has had this problem after both births?
Is there anything she can do to prevent this problem?

Any advice or personal stories would be welcome.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008, 12:21 PM

I can't be sure- (and there are many more qualified then me to answer) but I'd think she needed the cathater b/c she had swelling that prevented her from going to the bathroom.

I think different pushing positions, and especially spontanious pushing (not purple pushing- the count to ten, chin on chest and don't breathe) would really minimize her swelling. Waiting till she has an irrepressible urge and her body is pushing on it's own is known to cause much less swelling.

However that is next to impossible in the hospitals local to me- so depending on where she lives she may not be able to be in the hospital and expect to be able to push like that.

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

Old 10-27-2008, 12:45 PM

the things the pp said is great,also i have had great success with peppermint tea,something about the aroma,warm liquid,just sitting on the potty helps.however i work in a fsbc so my clients dont have an epi. i usually only have to cath if there is heavy bleeding and they cannot void, hope this helps:
Old 10-27-2008, 02:10 PM

A couple tips,

A doula friend of mine says to put peppermint essential oil in the toilet (makes you have to pee I guess )

What I did both times was get a cup with a straw and liquid in it. And blow blow blow on the straw while you try to pee. Give it ten minutes. Seriously.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I think that certain aspects of those specific births have a lot more to do with it than it just being "the way her body works".

Pushing for 3 hours could definitely cause enough swelling to prevent someone from peeing for a good while after birth. That being said, I am surprised that they waited 12 whole hours to catheterize her though, as it filling that much could just exacerbate the problem. The second birth, with oxytocin + epidural, also can cause problems voiding after birth. The epidural affects the nerves in the bladder, often after feeling in the legs is regained, and oxytocin has a very powerful fluid-retaining effect. Also, if a very full bladder is catheterized, especially repeatedly, it can cause the bladder to spasm and women can be unable to pee for quite a while. I never drain more than 500cc of urine at one time in order to avoid this problem.

Privacy, sitting in a warm bath or shower and peeing in there, running her hand under warm water, drinking peppermint tea or any caffeinated tea, sprinkling about 10 drops of peppermint EO in the toilet can all be helpful. And the blowing trick definitely works wonders! I don't think I would recommend a prophylactic catheter (unless she does have an epidural), but also wouldn't wait 12 hours to catheterize after birth. Tell her to make sure she's urinating frequently during labor, moving about freely, and drinking lots of fluids!

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.

User Tag List