Labial tears-silly question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-27-2008, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like this is a silly question but through all the books I've read, and everywhere I've looked online I'm not getting much help. I had two 2nd degree labial tears but I have great stretch to my perineum, so much so there wasn't even a skid mark. But the labia minora basically split down the middle about 2 inches out on either side (labia didn't seperate completely), I believe there were roughly 16 stitches total. I had already lost a few stitches when I had my midwife (not at birth) check on the stitches because it hurt so much, so that's only an estimate. Baby was OA, and it was side pushing if that help explain it? I'm also curious on the likely hood of repeat labial tear with following births? Thank you

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#2 of 7 Old 10-27-2008, 04:41 PM

I lot of labial splits seem to happen when the baby is in a little funky position - like hands up by the cheeks, or comes really fast and blasts out very quickly. I haven't seen it repeat, since it seems to be something related to the individual baby.

Perhaps a water birth next time for extra support?

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#3 of 7 Old 10-27-2008, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

It was a rather explosive birth, with AROM (houglassed bag, and I pushed part of the intact bag out) good to know it isn't likely to happen again. I'll really look into waterbirth next time, no telling where the heat of labor and birth will take me though! thank you very much!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014

#4 of 7 Old 10-27-2008, 06:33 PM

I think labial tears are often overlooked in birth books/literature. I'd like to write a paper about them someday. I hope I get a chance to actually do it.

I had labial tearing during both my births. Though I was very well-educated about birth, I had never even heard of the possibility before it happened the first time, so I was very taken off guard by the experience. I gave birth semi-sitting and was convinced that if I'd stayed on my hands and knees like my instinct said, I wouldn't have torn. However, the second time, I did give birth on my hands and knees, but still tore again. The second baby was a pound bigger than the first and had a 15 inch head and was born in 2 hours total--the active phase of labor was about 45 minutes and I only pushed for a few minutes of that. I hypothesize that could possibly be related to the tears. I actually had purple bruises on my labia (which I didn't even know was possible either!). My perinuem was intact both times. I have photographic evidence of its very stretchy nature and it felt completely "normal" following birth both times--no pain or weakness, all the pp pain was centered at the front of my anatomy, not in the back.

The tear during the second birth was only milimeters away from the scar line from the previous tear, so I think either my pelvis is structured in such a way that it angles my babies out towards the front and puts pressure on the labial structure in a specific way, or, tearing the first time weakened my tissue and contributed to tearing the second time. I also had a second labial tear during the second birth that was lower down--kind of an inner "split" that didn't bother me at all and I could barely even tell where it was after the first couple of days. The other tears were in the clitoral hood and in the first birth, the top of the labia minora (one side is permanently detached from the clitoral hood now, which is probably why I didn't tear in the exact same place the second time, because it was already detached!).

Strangely, it took tearing again with the second birth to help me stop feeling "genitally mutilated" (which is genuinely how I felt) and to accept my "new normal" as okay. I didn't have the tears repaired either time.

(((hugs)))

Molly
--
Talk Birth

Molly--mama to two sons (9/03 and 5/06), one tiny son forever in my heart (14w5d, 11/09), and one early m/c 2/10. Gave birth to my rainbow baby girl in 2011 and surprised to welcome another rainbow in October, 2014!
#5 of 7 Old 10-27-2008, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Nuchal hands/compound presentations are an almost inevitable cause of labial tears, IME, but there's not much that can be done to prevent that. Also, midwives/obstetricians reaching in there to check for a cord, help the shoulders out etc. may cause labial splits. It could also be that you have really strong perineal muscles and healthy skin and so this was the point of least resistance for your body to tear a little to let the baby out as well.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#6 of 7 Old 10-28-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your expierence Molly, very interesting hypothesis. I must say when he came out he very much felt angled toward the front of my pelvis, and it almost felt like he deflexed his head during the birth of his head (a near 15 inches) and that's when I felt the tear. It does feelt like genital mutilation, I felt deformed for a while after the birth and am now quite sensitive to the apperance.

And that makes a lot of sense blissful maia that it took the path of least resistance. Thank you both for you insight.

#7 of 7 Old 10-28-2008, 07:43 PM

I had a labial tear with my first birth that was surgically repaired 15 months later. The tear was up into my clitoral hood and it healed incorrectly and was quite painful. I because pregnant again 3 months after my surgery and had a successful vaginal birth with no tearing. My OB and I talked extensively about it and we decided to take the pushing phase more slowly and provide a lot of counter pressure to my labia. I am now pregnant with my third and we will do the same thing for this birth. Incidentally, my mother has a "buttonhole" labial split during my birth. My repair doesn't look perfect, but it looks pretty good and the repair resolved the pain I was having.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page