Midwifery Students 2010! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 516 Old 01-18-2010, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by conniebonnie View Post
ME TOO! im 25, with a 7 month old daughter who just crawled off the edge of the bed for the first time! woops. (shes fine, we have a futon) im in about my 5th month of apprenticing with a homebirth midwife in central michigan. im also doing self study, thinking about going through the birthsong midwifery work book. anyone heard of it?
Who are you apprenticing with? (You can PM me if you want.) I'm also apprenticing in Michigan...Oakland, Macomb, Wayne and Sanilac counties mostly. This year I'm working as primary under supervision.

I have the Birthsong Midwifery work book. Daphne signed it for me at the last MT conference in Oregon. (so cool!) I also got her charts which are conveniently laminated. I use them for reference often! I highly recommend the book and the charts.

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#62 of 516 Old 01-19-2010, 12:35 AM

I have the Birthsong work book too. Heard it was really good, but have yet to crack it open!

Gina ~
mommy to E & K and #3 due 7/2011homebirth.jpg
#63 of 516 Old 01-19-2010, 07:29 AM

hi everyone just checking in on the new thread. we got home yesterday after a month in new zealand. i got to do some rainbow midwifery care on a few mamas, and held some well-woman and fertility workshops.
now getting settled back into being at home, and preparing work for my first submission (still didn't hear back on orientation that i submitted in mid december).

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#64 of 516 Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 AM

majik, it takes quite a while for orientation to be graded (especially right now with Carla's DH having cancer and the other staff taking on more responsibilities as a result). Just work towards first submission anyway What do you think you'll submit?

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#65 of 516 Old 01-19-2010, 08:15 AM

yeah, I realise that, MR. I don't know exactly what I'll submit. I could probably pull most of section 2 together without too much effort before the next sumbission date. Is it better to send in as much as you can each time and perhaps have less submissions, or to send in a little less and ensure you've something to send in for every quarter? What with travel and such, I can easily see myself going at least one quarter of every year empty handed, so I was wondering if it's any use saving things up a little to fill in the gaps (I do that for my work, where I have to submit 2 short articles/ week and 1 long one/ month).

Also; on the way home we stopped to visit some friends and family in south australia, and stayed with a couple who are friends of DP's... and the woman asked me if I would have any use of a 12th edition of Mayes and a wonderful book on homeopathy in the childbearing year. what a lovely gift though it tipped our luggage allowance over, so I was smuggling the textbook onto the plane under my jacket

#66 of 516 Old 01-19-2010, 12:16 PM

I tend to do 3 quarters a year, because like you, I'm traveling a bit. You can do a smaller submission each quarter and make sure it's really good quality. Though if you do a big lump, you're more likely to get honor roll if it's also good quality. I didn't submit anything for this past quarter because I was so busy with births that I couldn't get 4A together in time. Only had a few questions to go, but oh well, something to go with the rest of the next submission.

#67 of 516 Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 PM

im working with kate mazzara. who are you working with?
#68 of 516 Old 01-19-2010, 09:49 PM

I work with Kathy Milosch in the Amish community of Brown City.

Jen Burnett, DEM
#69 of 516 Old 01-30-2010, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry Ladies, just realized that I needed to delete this due to privacy issues. Grr...I feel like i have nowhere to process this stuff!

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#70 of 516 Old 01-30-2010, 11:46 AM

every provider/preceptor is different. and everyone is going to have some things about their style that you like, and want to emulate, and somethings that you hate, and will never do (or so you say....) i would encourage you to talk with the midwife (not in a judgmental way) and ask her about the specific things that she did that you were uncomfortable with, and see her point of view and her reasons for working the way she did. its always good to have dialog.
#71 of 516 Old 01-30-2010, 12:04 PM

Is it possible that the midwife noticed something that told her the baby should be born as soon as possible and didn't mention it because she didn't want to scare the parents? Maybe she felt her hands were needed.

Good luck!

Student Midwife, Mom to 4 girls, 3 angel babies and 1 little boy that we are all in love with!
Ask me about my VBA2C and UBA2C after an Inverted T.
#72 of 516 Old 01-30-2010, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
See above. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#73 of 516 Old 01-30-2010, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
wombjuice, I missed the post that you removed, but I can understand needing a place to process. You could always find a few students to email privately and that would protect your privacy and the practice privacy much better and hopefully give you the feedback you need.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#74 of 516 Old 01-30-2010, 07:18 PM

hey girls! I have lurked in this thread for nearly 2 years, so I'm gonna re-introduce myself I'm 20 years old and engaged to an amazing supportive man who loves that I'm a student midwife and encourages me when I want to give up I've been a doula for 3 years, a self-studying student midwife for about the same length, and an apprentice midwife for 13 months. I just attended my 20th birth on Thursday.

I went through a very dark year in Fall 2008/early 2009 where I was in Nursing School. I've known I wanted to be a midwife since I was 14 but I allowed my parents to push me into going to NS. I was completely miserable, and finally a very wise friend told me that I was in NS for all the wrong reasons. So I quit Nursing School and started apprenticing in Jan. '09 with the midwife that caught 4 of my mom's babies.

I love my life now, and I'm so excited every time my senior midwife signs off a skill in my PEP book Every single time I see the miracle of birth I know I'm in the right place. I know in the core of my soul that midwifery is my calling. So here I am! I'm excited to network and learn with you lovely ladies, and hopefully I'll be more active in the near future

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#75 of 516 Old 01-30-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombjuice View Post
Sorry Ladies, just realized that I needed to delete this due to privacy issues. Grr...I feel like i have nowhere to process this stuff!
I got to read your first post before you removed it...
I'd say: no. you don't have to train in that way. it could have been a one-off, but some MWs / practices are like that. you can find a school/ preceptor that is much more hands off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthIsAwesome View Post
hey girls! I have lurked in this thread for nearly 2 years, so I'm gonna re-introduce myself I'm 20 years old and engaged to an amazing supportive man who loves that I'm a student midwife and encourages me when I want to give up I've been a doula for 3 years, a self-studying student midwife for about the same length, and an apprentice midwife for 13 months. I just attended my 20th birth on Thursday.

I went through a very dark year in Fall 2008/early 2009 where I was in Nursing School. I've known I wanted to be a midwife since I was 14 but I allowed my parents to push me into going to NS. I was completely miserable, and finally a very wise friend told me that I was in NS for all the wrong reasons. So I quit Nursing School and started apprenticing in Jan. '09 with the midwife that caught 4 of my mom's babies.

I love my life now, and I'm so excited every time my senior midwife signs off a skill in my PEP book Every single time I see the miracle of birth I know I'm in the right place. I know in the core of my soul that midwifery is my calling. So here I am! I'm excited to network and learn with you lovely ladies, and hopefully I'll be more active in the near future
hi birthisawesome, nice to see you again. I remember when you first introduced yourself glad to hear you're doing well.

#76 of 516 Old 01-30-2010, 09:37 PM

I didn't know you started in nursing school. Glad to hear that you're in a better place now. Nice to see you back here!

Jen Burnett, DEM
#77 of 516 Old 01-30-2010, 09:48 PM

Thanks Jen and Majikfaerie for the warm welcome! I'm glad to be back

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#78 of 516 Old 01-30-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthIsAwesome View Post
hey girls! I have lurked in this thread for nearly 2 years, so I'm gonna re-introduce myself
Welcome! It's great that you have the clarity that you do at such a young age. lol I'm just starting midwifery school and I'm a few years shy of 40. Yikes!

Student Midwife, Mom to 4 girls, 3 angel babies and 1 little boy that we are all in love with!
#79 of 516 Old 02-02-2010, 12:37 PM

Hi there,
I'm going to introduce myself too. I have lurked here on and off for at least 4 years, probably more (can't remember).

I've just become a student here: www.virginiamidwife.com

and our first class is in a few weeks. I'm very excited, but as we're getting closer I'm a little concerned for what I've taken on. My baby is teething this week, so probably that influences this concern.

I'm starting with didactic through this program, and will apprentice sometime after my baby is at least 2 years old. I have 5 kids total and keep quite busy in other ways, although not homeschooling. I am optimistic that things will go well, but with bumps in the road, as there always are.
#80 of 516 Old 02-04-2010, 07:15 PM

Hi all!

After a couple of years of sitting on the decision, I (well, we, I couldn't do this without my dh!) am making it happen. I just enrolled in AAMI and I am very eager to get started. And a little anxious since I hear it is pretty challenging. But it feels good to finally get started and working towards a goal

Nice to see other new people here too!

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#81 of 516 Old 02-04-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelofpeace View Post
After a couple of years of sitting on the decision, I (well, we, I couldn't do this without my dh!) am making it happen. I just enrolled in AAMI and I am very eager to get started. And a little anxious since I hear it is pretty challenging. But it feels good to finally get started and working towards a goal

Nice to see other new people here too!
Welcome!!

#82 of 516 Old 02-04-2010, 08:44 PM

Hello! I'm also a former lurker now outing myself with an introduction.

My name is Allyson and I've been apprenticing for a year now. I'm 24 and I live in Las Vegas with my beautiful DP. I've wanted to become a midwife since I was about 17, and after earning a Bachelors and Masters degrees in another field, starting my apprenticeship last year was a dream come true.

This week I was accepted to the National College of Midwifery and I am beyond thrilled to get started. I've been studying midwifery independently for several years, but after going to school at universities for so long, I really craved a formal structure for my midwifery studies, as well. So far I'm delighted with the way the NCM courses are set up.

In May, I'll be starting a secondary apprenticeship with a busy midwife (in addition to the apprenticeship with a CPM I have now) for one year. We'll see how good of a juggler I'll be in the coming months! My goal is to do as many NCM courses between now and May as possible. My fabulous preceptors are very supportive (and so is DP, thankfully!).

Well, I look forward to becoming more active in this community/thread.

Allyson - wife, mama, midwife
#83 of 516 Old 02-04-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iemaja View Post
Hello! I'm also a former lurker now outing myself with an introduction.
Welcome to you too!! :-)

#84 of 516 Old 02-05-2010, 04:04 AM

Hi there ladies! Well, at least those of you who remember me I realized I have not posted since sometime in December I guess (not like me). So I just finished reading through this thread so far.

**My update, mostly personal stuff, not professional, so my feelings are not hurt if you stop reading here, I just need to spill (sorry, they are always too long, warning you now):

Dec was crazy, holidays, finals for Fall term, company (my 17yo sisters boyfriend come over from MO for two weeks during their xmas break), busy season as work, and all. No time for AAMI work as I had planned.

January is still living for me, only the Calandar says it is Feb. already.
My grandmother was diagnosed in March last year with cancer. Technically a variation of skin cancer, not normally terminal, but in her case it was, she had one dr say about a year, all the others said it would take longer.

first week of Jan she was alright, my mom took her to appointments, she drove hersoef to church, we chatted on the phone, all the normal things, I planned a day to take the kids to get their gifts from her(they were so sick on Xmas ) the following week. Saturday she took a strange turn, and by Sunday afternoon required continues care and could not walk alone (she has lived alone since we lost gf two years ago). A crazy, hectic, extreamly emotional, overwhelming week later, she passed away on Sunday morning Jan. 17th.

Unfortunatly, there always has to be someone in the family that is difficult. My brother and I, and now my mom and sister, are her only local family. My uncle is 70 miles away, and all others are farther. My uncle began causing issues reguarding her money (no, she was not rich) before she even passed. So needless to say, without even time to cry, my mom and I had to jump up and put on our "co-executors of the estate" hats. Banks, Attorney, Wills, funeral home, cards, a house to go through, refridgerator to clean out, and entire house to sort, in the back of my mind every minute even when I am dealing with the rest of life.

But I really am ok, I'm sure many of you have been through similar and I had prepared myself, knowing how much work was involved, but it is still overwhelming.

On another note, I am in week 5 of Winter term at CC, still havn't completed my AAMI orientation, finally admitted I can only do so much and just don't have time right now. I am taking 2nd term of A&P, Human genetics, Medical coding and billing and Advanced Photography this term, a full load, but loving it!
I was layed off from my job 2 days before grandma passed, in a way the timing was a blessing, as I was missing work to care for her that week and there is not way I could handle that crappy job right now.
Kids are well AND

My cousin in CO, my sweet soul sister, LOL, called last week to tell me she is pregnant! They have been trying for a while, she had a terrible miscarriage last year, and finally quite charting last month. We are praying for this one! (no kids, 2 miscarriages). AND

A few days later, my my closest friend called me with the same news! ( I will now have a guinea pig for palpation and fetoscope practice and stuff, at my beck and call, LOL)

Sorry for the book.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#85 of 516 Old 02-05-2010, 04:28 AM

It's me again-- decided to post some goals/schedual, birth or education related, for this year, but wanted to seperate it from my novel above, so I will write Vol.2 I am going to detail some here, as it will force me to come back and see that I made all the efforts

Feb-
  • Study hard in my classes, learn as much as possible
  • Attending OMC winter workshop (one day workshop for midwives and students) this Saturday in Albany
  • Attend monthly study group day in Medford
  • Catch back up with local Breastfeeding Coalition, finish project for that
Mar-
  • finish Winter term of college courses
  • Attending Trust Birth Conference (and your welcome Laura )
  • Attend monthly study group day in Medford
April-
  • Dive into Spring term of college classes
  • Attend Midwifery Skills Lab in Tillamook
  • hopefully still make monthly study group
May-
  • Continue classes
  • Attend study group
June-
  • Graduate from community college with my AA degree (I know, small, but huge for me, and has taken 15 years!)
  • Attend study group
  • Resume full force with AAMI work
  • Prepare myself to seek and resume Doula work
July-
  • Have submitted orientation work, and be prepared to send in a quartly submission
  • Attend study group
  • Begin actively trying to make connections toward finding an apprenticeship (scary-est, and farthest away from reality of all!)
OK, I stop there, that is 6 months. I will revisit and revise between now and then

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#86 of 516 Old 02-05-2010, 10:21 AM

Lisa it's a great idea to break up your goals like that! Every January I do the same thing on my blog where I list what my goals were for the previous year, and if/how I met them, and then do my goals for the next year along with longterm goals. It's good to go back and look at them occasionally!

Hope you can do all that you need to!

#87 of 516 Old 02-05-2010, 11:32 AM

Sorry about your grandmother, Lisa

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#88 of 516 Old 02-05-2010, 12:11 PM

I taught a class in my community on emergency childbirth last night. The attendance was about 12 but it still went great. I just about threw up when I saw a retired doctor walk into the room but he was nodding along with me as I spoke and told me after that I did a great job and it was a good refresher for him. I started a study group in my community and the first meeting is tomorrow. I am the furthest along in my studies in the group but I think it will be good for me and push me further. Haven't done a birth in 4 months since I had my baby and I feel my skills are slipping. I have my preceptors birth next month then nothing till May. I am hoping to get a few doula births between now and then. I have been trying to get at least 8 hours of study time in every week and am working my way through HM2. Good to have updates from all of you.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#89 of 516 Old 02-05-2010, 11:23 PM

Holy Cow Lisa! I had no idea you had all that going on and I feel a little bad that I didn't know to give you some condolences on the phone :-( I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma and the difficulties caused by your uncle.

I think your goals look great and I'm sure when the time comes you will find that apprenticeship!

I'm going to miss seeing you tomorrow. Not only do I not have the money for the OMC workshop but I just got a call for work tomorrow and earning money takes top priority. I hope you enjoy it :-)

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#90 of 516 Old 02-06-2010, 12:03 AM

so the first chapter in my workbook (past the history of midwifery) is medical terminology. WOW. i think my head might explode. Any tips for cramming all those roots and suffixes and abbreviations into my head? Im currently working on making online flashcards at cramberry.net (which are open and shared, if anyone else wants to use them as well), does anyone have any other tips?
(right now my biggest problem is language scramble- i have knowledge of lots of languages going on, so im thinking in english, reading in latin and typing spanish-dope@)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page