Midwifery Students 2010! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 516 Old 02-10-2010, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know about everyone else, but a thread crash every now and then is a good thing, as it can get conversations going and open new topics

I have not yet found an apprentiship, so can't speak from active experience, but have been spending more time with midwives/students around here, and have gotten some input...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
Hello Midwifery students

Please excuse my thread crashing but I need help from any midwifery student who has a moment to spare.

For those of you who are IN apprenticeship, or have EXPLORED apprenticeship towards eventually getting one, or are in a program that requires and manages apprenticeships (I've seen some schools that charge the student an apprenticeship fee, then the school pays your eventual preceptor instead of you paying preceptor yourself)....so I guess for all of you here, since you'll all need some sort of apprenticeship/clinical internship--I'm trying to muddle through to some reasonable and clear expectations for apprentices, not an easy task for me!

How much do apprentices pay mentors?
Preceptors in this area don't charge thier apprentices at all. The exchange of education for service is the agreement.
I would not pay a mentor, if I was going to pay, I would go to an intensive where room, and board are covered by the fee I pay, and I could get tons of hands on experience in a short time. But that is not the route I want my education to go.
As a matter of fact, I was recently talking with a midwife that has found a couple ways when billing insurance to actually get small payment for her assistant as well, which in this case is her apprentice.

Is payment in cash, work-exchange (on mentor's midwifery business), or both?
Addressed above

If you are expecting to attend a woman's birth, are you required to attend all/most prenatals, or is it up to you how many you go to?
Seems most midwifes who have small practices expect attendance all all prenatals, births, and post partum visits. Provided the client is comfortable with this. Some busier midwives will have more than one apprentice and divide these things up.

What other expectations are you expected to fulfill (dress code, rules of being oncall, expected time/w mentor to discuss/debrief/Q&A when not at visits or at births, any other)?

Can't help much here, I am attending a study group led by a midwife who does expect her apprentice to attend and contribute to.
Sending me links, or a copy of your apprentice contract w/your school or your preceptor....anything like that, that you feel comfortable sharing, would be fantastic. PMing me might be best, so as not to derail your own discussions.

Thanks so much.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#122 of 516 Old 02-10-2010, 07:59 PM

Thanks all--

Lisa (and others)--you said "the exchange of education for service is the agreement". So, the preceptor provides some education, what are the services that the apprentice provides?

lots of help here, I appreciate it very much
#123 of 516 Old 02-10-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Lisa (and others)--you said "the exchange of education for service is the agreement". So, the preceptor provides some education, what are the services that the apprentice provides?
Not an apprentice yet, but I would think an extra set of hands and a lot of dirty work - cleaning up after a birth, retrieving food/drink for mom or support person, etc.

Student Midwife, Mom to 4 girls, 3 angel babies and 1 little boy that we are all in love with!
Ask me about my VBA2C and UBA2C after an Inverted T.
#124 of 516 Old 02-10-2010, 08:50 PM

I do anything the assistant would do plus more. Attend prenatals test urine, weight BP,fundal height etc. Then at the birth set up and clean up, heart tones, chart, administer herbs,labor support, photography, and as my skills have improved handle 3rd stage, catch, newborn exam etc. Do in home pp visits if my preceptor can't, help with nursing etc. Pretty much everything she does when ever she asks me to. I put in about 9 hours a week of pre/post visits. 2-4 births a month plus 3 hours a week of on phone time discussing clients and births. We cover things I need to learn as they come up but she doesn't really give me assignments. I am slowly checking off my NARM check list. Starting this summer I will hopefully be doing more primary midwife undersupervision work.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#125 of 516 Old 02-11-2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post
I do anything the assistant would do plus more. Attend prenatals test urine, weight BP,fundal height etc. Then at the birth set up and clean up, heart tones, chart, administer herbs,labor support, photography, and as my skills have improved handle 3rd stage, catch, newborn exam etc. Do in home pp visits if my preceptor can't, help with nursing etc. Pretty much everything she does when ever she asks me to. I put in about 9 hours a week of pre/post visits. 2-4 births a month plus 3 hours a week of on phone time discussing clients and births. We cover things I need to learn as they come up but she doesn't really give me assignments. I am slowly checking off my NARM check list. Starting this summer I will hopefully be doing more primary midwife undersupervision work.
This is a pretty good list here from the information I have gathered in this area. Assistance are paid, and there are not many midwives around here that attend births all alone. In study group recently we were going over injections and such and the midwife was saying "this is usually an apprentices job in my practice, because there is no way to do it gracefully, and that way it is all ready when I have my hands busy with mom and baby"--in reference to opening ampoules and drawing Vit K through a filter needle. She appreciates the extra hands to fiddle with things that have to be done but don't require experienced skills. Of course things shift as the student continues to learn and grow.
Apprentices are expected to do the grunt work which can free up alot of odds and ends for the senior midwife.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#126 of 516 Old 02-11-2010, 11:18 AM

I thank you all very much for your input--it is a good reality check for me. I haven't really heard anything that sounds strange or out of line to me

I have been 'through' 4 apprentices now (not counting the one who came briefly to explore the possiblity from another state, and it proved not to be the best timing for either of us...hopefully she will one day be #5!). Only one of those women seemed to have anything like the expectations that you all express and that seem so fair to me. They were all green recruits in terms of clinical skills and actual experience w/birth, with varying degrees of book learning behind them. The 1 who had the right heart and expectations unfortunately decided she needed to maybe get married and have a few kids of her own before pursuing midwifery seriously.

The others....well, they all had positive qualities as human beings, and they were all women I thought could one day make fine mws. And not a one of them seemed to place much value on my offering not only to be their teacher (giving them my time/energy outside of visits and births to discuss clients and such), but also opening up my practice to them and allowing them to participate. They all seemed to feel that their doing the grunt work was worth *more* than what I offered them--and had a very hard time meeting their agreements to help run my business/office, a hard time acknowledging that their doing grunt work at births was simply a small payment for what I was offering them. Well I am complaining here, whining a bit--but in fact all of those 3 left my practice with great hostility when I tried to set boundaries and also insist that they meet with our original agreements (NO, you can't wander into a prenatal any old time, you must be punctual; yes, you really do have to spend boring time making copies or phone calls for me from time to time--it is what we agreed to, and I am after all doing my part for you).

It is SO no fun to get dumped with a boatload of resentment and insults for the mere reason of asking someone to either meet their agreements or make new ones with me. But not to whine alone--well, I need to vent but I hope this is instructive for you all as well. At least for my part, having a practice at all has been a long arduous process requiring a huge investment and no small sacrifice. I don't need any medals or pedestals for that--just simple respect for the fact that through my own efforts (NOT the apprentice's!) I created a practice that is very attractive to a certain kind of family and apprentice. I have clients, I have created a space through hard, enduring work, and that sacred, enjoyable space is now available to share with those who will share with me what they have to share in exchange with me. I should be freely able to expect your respect of me and of the agreements you made; though I should certainly be respectful in my comm, I should *not* have to tiptoe around your sensitivities if you fail to meet your agreements and it becomes needful to bring up the topic. Exactly how much tiptoe-ing do you think any clients are going to do for you, if you fail to honor your agreements, in their opinion??? A midwife must have a tender heart but thick skin too.

I am self taught and would have done so much to have the opportunity of apprenticeship. I just can't see how my expectations are so out of line (and thanks for your affirmations of that); I just can't see how I deserve to be yelled at--and then told that I *deserved* the hostility--for being, after all, the Boss who says, calmly and politely--hey, you are not doing your job as I understand it--we need to talk about that, clarify expectations and get this show back on the right road.

Oy. Anyway, thanks again for the reality check. And while I wish that none of you ever have to deal with a domineering preceptor who works you like a slave, I also hope you always recognize that because your preceptor DID put in the work, and DOES have a practice where you can learn what you need to know, that you never forget her value to you. If she did not do that work, you would not be able to be an apprentice. Even if you decide that her personality does not suit you, or that her expectations are too much, I hope you will be nice in parting ways! If only for the sake of your own hearts, and your own integrity. Even if you don't give a rat's ass what your preceptor thinks of you henceforward. Even if it really doesn't matter to you that you will continue to share the same community for a long time and that your indulgence in hostilities may come around to haunt you in time. Just be nice as you can, without being a pushover or a doormat, because it does your own hearts good.

Cuz you know, a midwife needs all the good heart she can make, and share!

(please excuse my self-indulgence here...it's been a rough week )
#127 of 516 Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Hello Midwifery students

How much do apprentices pay mentors? Is payment in cash, work-exchange (on mentor's midwifery business), or both?

I have never paid to apprentice and I'm really thankful for that....I wouldn't be able to afford to do it otherwise. Around here, when an apprentice has enough skills to be valuable to the midwife, they get paid a small amount.

If you are expecting to attend a woman's birth, are you required to attend all/most prenatals, or is it up to you how many you go to?

We are expected to attend at least 75% of the appointments

What other expectations are you expected to fulfill (dress code, rules of being oncall, expected time/w mentor to discuss/debrief/Q&A when not at visits or at births, any other)?

I am on call for births 4 weeks before the EDD until she has her baby. My preceptor has 3 apprentices so I'm not on call for every birth. Even when I'm not on call, I still check with her to make sure it's ok for me to go out of town. I think we have a really great relationship. I keep waiting for the honeymoon period to end, but after 2 1/2 years, I still really enjoy working with her. she is very generous and accommodating towards me, and in exchange, I try to help her out however I can.

We've never discussed dress code, I've just followed her lead and dressed business casual. We don't set aside designated times to debrief and review clients, and if there was one thing I could change about the apprenticeship, that would probably be it. However, I know she's always available and willing to answer my questions

Sending me links, or a copy of your apprentice contract w/your school or your preceptor....anything like that, that you feel comfortable sharing, would be fantastic. PMing me might be best, so as not to derail your own discussions.

My preceptor is Defenestrator. You can PM her, I'm sure she'd be happy to provide the job description she has for apprentices. I think it explains the expectations pretty clearly.

Thanks so much.

You must be thinking of taking on an apprentice, huh?

Christa
#128 of 516 Old 02-11-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I thank you all very much for your input--it is a good reality check for me. I haven't really heard anything that sounds strange or out of line to me

I have been 'through' 4 apprentices now (not counting the one who came briefly to explore the possiblity from another state, and it proved not to be the best timing for either of us...hopefully she will one day be #5!). Only one of those women seemed to have anything like the expectations that you all express and that seem so fair to me. They were all green recruits in terms of clinical skills and actual experience w/birth, with varying degrees of book learning behind them. The 1 who had the right heart and expectations unfortunately decided she needed to maybe get married and have a few kids of her own before pursuing midwifery seriously.

The others....well, they all had positive qualities as human beings, and they were all women I thought could one day make fine mws. And not a one of them seemed to place much value on my offering not only to be their teacher (giving them my time/energy outside of visits and births to discuss clients and such), but also opening up my practice to them and allowing them to participate. They all seemed to feel that their doing the grunt work was worth *more* than what I offered them--and had a very hard time meeting their agreements to help run my business/office, a hard time acknowledging that their doing grunt work at births was simply a small payment for what I was offering them. Well I am complaining here, whining a bit--but in fact all of those 3 left my practice with great hostility when I tried to set boundaries and also insist that they meet with our original agreements (NO, you can't wander into a prenatal any old time, you must be punctual; yes, you really do have to spend boring time making copies or phone calls for me from time to time--it is what we agreed to, and I am after all doing my part for you).

It is SO no fun to get dumped with a boatload of resentment and insults for the mere reason of asking someone to either meet their agreements or make new ones with me. But not to whine alone--well, I need to vent but I hope this is instructive for you all as well. At least for my part, having a practice at all has been a long arduous process requiring a huge investment and no small sacrifice. I don't need any medals or pedestals for that--just simple respect for the fact that through my own efforts (NOT the apprentice's!) I created a practice that is very attractive to a certain kind of family and apprentice. I have clients, I have created a space through hard, enduring work, and that sacred, enjoyable space is now available to share with those who will share with me what they have to share in exchange with me. I should be freely able to expect your respect of me and of the agreements you made; though I should certainly be respectful in my comm, I should *not* have to tiptoe around your sensitivities if you fail to meet your agreements and it becomes needful to bring up the topic. Exactly how much tiptoe-ing do you think any clients are going to do for you, if you fail to honor your agreements, in their opinion??? A midwife must have a tender heart but thick skin too.

I am self taught and would have done so much to have the opportunity of apprenticeship. I just can't see how my expectations are so out of line (and thanks for your affirmations of that); I just can't see how I deserve to be yelled at--and then told that I *deserved* the hostility--for being, after all, the Boss who says, calmly and politely--hey, you are not doing your job as I understand it--we need to talk about that, clarify expectations and get this show back on the right road.

Oy. Anyway, thanks again for the reality check. And while I wish that none of you ever have to deal with a domineering preceptor who works you like a slave, I also hope you always recognize that because your preceptor DID put in the work, and DOES have a practice where you can learn what you need to know, that you never forget her value to you. If she did not do that work, you would not be able to be an apprentice. Even if you decide that her personality does not suit you, or that her expectations are too much, I hope you will be nice in parting ways! If only for the sake of your own hearts, and your own integrity. Even if you don't give a rat's ass what your preceptor thinks of you henceforward. Even if it really doesn't matter to you that you will continue to share the same community for a long time and that your indulgence in hostilities may come around to haunt you in time. Just be nice as you can, without being a pushover or a doormat, because it does your own hearts good.

Hugs. How awful I am sorry that it has been so tough when you are providing a service. I am so respectful of what midwives have to offer apprentices so I have been privilaged to have several opportunities. There are so many apprentices who can't find someone to work with. It is sad. I will ask my preceptor if it is ok to send you her apprentice agreement. It will be bitter sweet when my training is finished. I love working with her so much.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#129 of 516 Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 PM

I'm sorry MsBlack about your experiences. I have met apprentices somewhat like what you describe and it's not pretty.

I happily kept my preceptor's practice running while she took three weeks off to have a baby- I felt like it was the least I could do after she opened her practice to me. I've had some great learning experiences with her and appreciate it so much!
#130 of 516 Old 02-11-2010, 11:46 PM

I've been apprenticing for 2 years.

Quote:
Hello Midwifery students

Please excuse my thread crashing but I need help from any midwifery student who has a moment to spare.

For those of you who are IN apprenticeship, or have EXPLORED apprenticeship towards eventually getting one, or are in a program that requires and manages apprenticeships (I've seen some schools that charge the student an apprenticeship fee, then the school pays your eventual preceptor instead of you paying preceptor yourself)....so I guess for all of you here, since you'll all need some sort of apprenticeship/clinical internship--I'm trying to muddle through to some reasonable and clear expectations for apprentices, not an easy task for me!

How much do apprentices pay mentors?

Pay? I pay nothing. One of my preceptor's paid me $50.00 if I observed a birth and $100 for assisting.

Is payment in cash, work-exchange (on mentor's midwifery business), or both? Payment was in cash.

I wasn't required to go to all of the prenatals, but I chose to anyway.

Being with the Amish, I had to take out my eyebrow ring and wear appropriate clothing (nothing with a slogan, etc)

I wish I had had a contract. That first year was a jumbled, unorganized mess! It was very taxing, emotionally. I will definitely have a contract for MY apprentice.

Thanks so much.

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#131 of 516 Old 02-11-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:

Oh gosh, I would never DREAM of treating my preceptor that way. I have asked my preceptor if I could make birth kits for her, asked her if I could help her make herbal baths, I've organize the birth supplies and cleaned the birth center without being asked. I try to be her right-hand and she has told me that she values my energy and organizational skills. I value the time she gives me and all that she teaches me. We have become very good friends and I love and respect her like a second mom. I really hope you can find a good fit soon. I'm sure she's out there somewhere! (((HUGS)))

Jen Burnett, DEM
#132 of 516 Old 02-12-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 636Jen View Post
Oh gosh, I would never DREAM of treating my preceptor that way. I have asked my preceptor if I could make birth kits for her, asked her if I could help her make herbal baths, I've organize the birth supplies and cleaned the birth center without being asked. I try to be her right-hand and she has told me that she values my energy and organizational skills. I value the time she gives me and all that she teaches me. We have become very good friends and I love and respect her like a second mom. I really hope you can find a good fit soon. I'm sure she's out there somewhere! (((HUGS)))
Likewise, I appreciate everything my preceptor does for me and recognize that even just inviting me into her life and schedule is a gift (working around someone else's life makes scheduling harder and there's a lot of personal/private life that the apprentice witnesses over the course of working together). I do as much grunt work as I can and attempt to inconvenience her as little as possible. She doesn't provide any academic education but the learning I get from observing and doing is invaluable.

I really respect her and I feel respected by her. I feel pretty lucky.

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#133 of 516 Old 02-12-2010, 01:08 AM

Thanks all again. I do feel that I will find the right apprentice/s over time...am learning that I need to be more careful in who I take on, and quicker to nip problems in the bud. With this last one, in part because I was busy with other things at the time and could shove it to the back burner easily enough, I let a couple months go by without saying "hey, you said you'd help w/office stuff--when do you plan to start?" and stuff like that. I think she got comfortable taking advantage, and I let her do that. I finally told her later--something echoed by some of you, thanks--that I should not have had to chase her down, since she agreed to work she should have shown some initiative in doing work, asking me what, finding things to do.

Anyway, again I appreciate the affirmation--and to know that I'm not just nuts to think exchange of some sort is due. It's been sad, upsetting and a bit infuriating to have to deal with this parting of the ways--but now, at least, the space is open and I can again visualize and attract Ms Right to apprenticeship.
#134 of 516 Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:

Anyway, again I appreciate the affirmation--and to know that I'm not just nuts to think exchange of some sort is due. It's been sad, upsetting and a bit infuriating to have to deal with this parting of the ways--but now, at least, the space is open and I can again visualize and attract Ms Right to apprenticeship.
Yeah, for sure you're not nuts! I've had 2 apprenticeships...the first one was kind of a personality clash (and I knew that going into it but thought I could make it work), but I'm still grateful for the opportunity she gave me and for her willingness to take a chance on me. She made it possible for me to apprentice. I may not be here if it wasn't for her and I've told her that. My current apprenticeship is working out so well, I feel so blessed that she has welcomed me into her practice and I try to do little things to make her life easier. I have so much respect for her. I would bend over backwards to do anything she needed. It's hard for me to imagine an apprentice that doesn't realize how fortunate they are or realize the value of being offered an apprenticeship.

Ms Black, have you tried bringing someone on who you've seen already has a good work ethic? Maybe someone who has put time into volunteering in the birth community or has somehow otherwise proven her reliability?

I hope it gets easier for you, I know you deserve it. I love reading your posts and the thought you put into them...I'm sure someone is out there that will value you as a preceptor.

Christa
#135 of 516 Old 02-12-2010, 01:45 PM

Ms Black, Im very sorry for all the trouble you have gone through with apprentices. I always enjoy reading your post and you seem to be very educated and experienced. I would think anyone would be lucky to be able to work with you.

I havent had an apprenticeship yet but I was able to talk to the ONLY midwife within 2 hours of where I live (which is still an hour away) The first thing she said to me after I told her I was a midwifery student was "Just give me a call and you can come to a birth with me!" She didnt know one thing about me, how long I had been studying, what kind of person I was. Then she said "well I charge my apprentices because thats the only way I can keep them from getting drunk when they are on call and making sure they come to appointments"

So to me it seemed like she was willing to take anyone, and because she charged money to attend appointments and births and no other formal education she could make the apprenticship work because there was somthing to loose for them. I didnt like that at all. Im amazed someone would treat such a wonderful opportunity that way to begin with. I would be thrilled with the possibility of an apprenticeship and would work as hard as I could to learn all I could. So I find myself wondering how it will even work out if I get to work with her. I guess it really just comes down to finding the right person to work with. And Im sure you will, just keep looking!
#136 of 516 Old 02-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I wish we were closer! I'd work my butt off for you!! lol ITA that anyone would be LUCKY to get an apprenticeship with you.

Student Midwife, Mom to 4 girls, 3 angel babies and 1 little boy that we are all in love with!
Ask me about my VBA2C and UBA2C after an Inverted T.
#137 of 516 Old 02-12-2010, 02:49 PM

Gosh, womyn, thanks for so much affirmation

I'm definitely not a perfect person or communicator...can be very intense and at times clumsy...and try to be real about that. But well, yeah--I think I'd be a pretty good deal, personally and professionally, all in all. My friends and clients seem to agree--so it's time to shake off the icky projections and move on.

Y'all are so sweet to give me some lovin'! I needed that
#138 of 516 Old 02-12-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks all again. I do feel that I will find the right apprentice/s over time...am learning that I need to be more careful in who I take on, and quicker to nip problems in the bud. With this last one, in part because I was busy with other things at the time and could shove it to the back burner easily enough, I let a couple months go by without saying "hey, you said you'd help w/office stuff--when do you plan to start?" and stuff like that. I think she got comfortable taking advantage, and I let her do that. I finally told her later--something echoed by some of you, thanks--that I should not have had to chase her down, since she agreed to work she should have shown some initiative in doing work, asking me what, finding things to do.

So, hmmm, about this. I guess to find the right apprentice, you will just have to fullfill OUR deal and move your but over here to Oregon and I will be the great apprentice you long for!!! Hmm, sounds like a plan to me!

Ok, fine, I know, easier said than done....

#139 of 516 Old 02-12-2010, 11:54 PM

Ok ladies, Im becoming desperate.

Laura (Sijae) and I are going to be driving down from Oregon to attend the conference. We have a room reserved together, 2 bed ocean view , and need two more roomates.

We will be staying Wen 3/10, Thur 3/11, Friday 3/12, and Sat 3/13 coming home on Sunday evening.
We have a third roomate for Wen 3/10 But still need another for the three remaining nights and a 4th person for all four nights.

If you are planning to attend, and do not have other arangements, or arrangements that are not as good, LOL, please contact me. Any or all nights would be helpful at this point as funds have become much slimmer for both of us than anticipated for this trip.

You can PM me here or email me at lisa.aami.2020@google.com

I am also posting this directly to the Birth Pro forum as well

#140 of 516 Old 02-13-2010, 01:33 AM

Just got back to Detroit....I got certified in NNR today with Karen Strange!! It was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G and I highly recommend her class! She presented so much incredible info! Woohoo!

Jen Burnett, DEM
#141 of 516 Old 02-13-2010, 01:45 AM

Howdy Midwives-To-Be;

This is kind of totally off the beaten path (of book conversation); just wanted to introduce myself - I'm a CNM student, who has a much more CPM attitude (all-natural, and the liken).

Ashely - Expecting stork-suprise.gif Home-Birthed Baby in February 2011. Full Spectrum Birth Professional.
#142 of 516 Old 02-13-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Just got back to Detroit....I got certified in NNR today with Karen Strange!! It was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G and I highly recommend her class! She presented so much incredible info! Woohoo!

I have heard nothing but great things about her classes. I can't believe that I will be right there at the conference and can't afford to take the class this time around. I will get to it though, and hopefully not too long from now.

#143 of 516 Old 02-13-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato3cherubs View Post
I have heard nothing but great things about her classes. I can't believe that I will be right there at the conference and can't afford to take the class this time around. I will get to it though, and hopefully not too long from now.
Hey, if we take the van it will only be like 60$ for gas for you. Maybe you could take the rental money and do that?

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#144 of 516 Old 02-13-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato3cherubs View Post
Ok ladies, Im becoming desperate.

Laura (Sijae) and I are going to be driving down from Oregon to attend the conference. We have a room reserved together, 2 bed ocean view , and need two more roomates.

We will be staying Wen 3/10, Thur 3/11, Friday 3/12, and Sat 3/13 coming home on Sunday evening.
We have a third roomate for Wen 3/10 But still need another for the three remaining nights and a 4th person for all four nights.

If you are planning to attend, and do not have other arangements, or arrangements that are not as good, LOL, please contact me. Any or all nights would be helpful at this point as funds have become much slimmer for both of us than anticipated for this trip.

You can PM me here or email me at lisa.aami.2020@google.com

I am also posting this directly to the Birth Pro forum as well
Have you contacted Kristi? I just decided I'm going!!!!! And she has me on a list to put me in a room somewhere. You could always ask her to put me in your room I'll be there Tuesday through Saturday nights (and majorly jet-lagging!). Oh! And you have a car?!?!? I have not been to the USA in almost 2 years and I need UNDERWEAR. Maybe someone would take some gas money to take me on a Walmart shopping binge????

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#145 of 516 Old 02-13-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
Have you contacted Kristi? I just decided I'm going!!!!! And she has me on a list to put me in a room somewhere. You could always ask her to put me in your room I'll be there Tuesday through Saturday nights (and majorly jet-lagging!). Oh! And you have a car?!?!? I have not been to the USA in almost 2 years and I need UNDERWEAR. Maybe someone would take some gas money to take me on a Walmart shopping binge????
I PMed you and am really excited you are coming!

#146 of 516 Old 02-13-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:

So jealous. She was in Ohio and I desperately wanted to go (had the $$ and everything), but my babysitter for the 10-month old didn't work out. Maybe next time!

Gina ~
mommy to E & K and #3 due 7/2011homebirth.jpg
#147 of 516 Old 02-13-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post
MsBlack - This is my exactly experience as well. Best of luck in your search for an AMAZING apprentice.

Allyson - wife, mama, midwife
#148 of 516 Old 02-13-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:

I took Karen's NRP class almost two years ago and thought it was FANTASTIC. Worth EVERY penny.

She's coming back to Las Vegas to teach it again (both the Renew and the new cert) in March, but I'm going to be out of town. There are other local NRP courses I can take, but it's really important to me to take hers again, so I'm driving up to Salt Lake City in early March to take it with her there at the Midwives College of Utah. Wish me luck driving in snow!!!

Is anyone on this thread going to the Salt Lake City NRP class with Karen? I can't wait...

Allyson - wife, mama, midwife
#149 of 516 Old 02-13-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyGina View Post
So jealous. She was in Ohio and I desperately wanted to go (had the $$ and everything), but my babysitter for the 10-month old didn't work out. Maybe next time!
I was at that session! Sorry you missed it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iemaja View Post

Is anyone on this thread going to the Salt Lake City NRP class with Karen? I can't wait...
I'll actually be in the SLC area the month of March at Better Birth. I leave in 9 days and have so much to do still.

ANaturalPush-
#150 of 516 Old 02-14-2010, 01:03 AM

I took karen's npr class last year as well and LOVED it. last year and the midwifery today conference, I had several people tell me I simply HAD to take it from her, and they were right, it was amazing.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page