Any student midwives have experience with paying their preceptor? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All I'm an aspiring midwife in Washington state Til recently I wanted to go to Seattle Midwifery School, but various things have me looking in a different direction now.
Do any of you here know anything about National College of Midwifery? It's based in NM . It is MEAC approved yet, unless I'm reading their page wrong SO much less expensive than the other MEAC approved schools. I really resonate with their philosophy too. I guess I'm just confused as to how it could be so much less expensive than the other schools...?
It says at the site that you as a student, along with a preceptor, apply *together* to the school, but beyond the 5 grand to apply, it seems like the only other big expense is a payment plan they say you work out on your own w/your preceptor.

Does anyone here have any experience with this or idea how much you would pay your preceptor?? I know two assistant midwives -- one of them I know for positive
hasn't paid her preceptors, rather they on occassion have given her money gifts instead. And then the other one I know, I'm not sure, but I'd be really suprised if she were paying her preceptor.

If anyone here has been in the other-way-around situation, or knows someone who has, please tell me what the expectations are, money wise, when the assistant /student is the one paying the preceptor?
thanks so much **
Jenni
#2 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 11:03 AM

my former preceptor and i were planning to use this program and it was agreed that since i was "assisting" her as well (and therefore, her benefiting by me) that we'd call it even and not have any money exchange. she'd never precepted anyone through this program, i don't think, so it's hard to say if it would have truly been "even". knowing what i know now about all the different programs, this one does seem to be more "preceptor intensive" than any of the others. (i could be wrong)
#3 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

I suspected they must require more of preceptors paperwork wise or writing wise or some thing. Thanks for the info * It's good to have some sort of idea to work from.
#4 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 02:46 PM

I didn't pay any of my preceptors and really, with the amount of work I put in, I wouldn't expect to. Perhaps the exception would be my first preceptor, who had to do a LOT of explaining - but she intentionally chose green students because she really enjoyed narrating everything.

I don't know, though, how NCM does things...it's possible that the preceptor is expected to do a lot of coordinating and overseeing of your learning, and then it would be more like hiring a very hands-on personal instructor, which I can see paying for. In my case there was really equal give/take most of the time between myself and my preceptors, but I can see how relying on your preceptor to knowingly provide your learning (vs seeking it out yourself and occasionally asking opinions or thoughts) could totally shift that dynamic.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#5 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 04:42 PM

I'm a current NCM student and just happen to be in WA as well.

The way their program works, your academic preceptor is in charge of ALL of your academics. They evaluate your written assignments, they help create the format in which you meet the requirements, they are responsible for a bunch of paperwork- it's far more time consuming than the average preceptor relationship where they just sign off on skills. Your clinical preceptor has less responsibility but still has to do a quarterly evaluation.

My arrangement with my preceptor is a barter, I'll be doing her administrative work, marketing, etc. It's a position she would be paying someone for if I weren't doing it and it's outside of my time with her as a student/birth assistant. If you ask around, you might find someone willing to do a similar arrangement.

Even if you pay your preceptor, I figured out the numbers to be far less expensive than other MEAC schools, especially SMS/Bastyr. And, at least from what I found, the school is incredibly flexible on what you and your preceptor arrange- if you both agree, it seems to be fine by them.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#6 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Nikirja nd Memilie thank you much for the info -- sounds so excellent the way they do things. I can now understand why you may need to pay your preceptor and/or do a work/trade situation.
I have assisted w/an amazing doula this last half year and so I'm all about the apprentice model now. It's been invaluable for me!
#7 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 12:32 AM

I am also in Washington and have been looking at the Seattle Midwifery School, but the preceptor/apprentice thing of some of the other programs really resonates with me. However, I am in doula training right now and haven't even attended any births through that yet, so think I will let myself get some experience that way prior to signing up for midwifery school.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#8 of 12 Old 10-25-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
I'm a current NCM student and just happen to be in WA as well.

The way their program works, your academic preceptor is in charge of ALL of your academics. They evaluate your written assignments, they help create the format in which you meet the requirements, they are responsible for a bunch of paperwork- it's far more time consuming than the average preceptor relationship where they just sign off on skills. Your clinical preceptor has less responsibility but still has to do a quarterly evaluation.

My arrangement with my preceptor is a barter, I'll be doing her administrative work, marketing, etc. It's a position she would be paying someone for if I weren't doing it and it's outside of my time with her as a student/birth assistant. If you ask around, you might find someone willing to do a similar arrangement.

Even if you pay your preceptor, I figured out the numbers to be far less expensive than other MEAC schools, especially SMS/Bastyr. And, at least from what I found, the school is incredibly flexible on what you and your preceptor arrange- if you both agree, it seems to be fine by them.
I am considering NCM and would love to hear how you are doing with the program. TIA! You can email me if you would like.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#9 of 12 Old 11-12-2010, 05:26 PM

I'm a new NCM student although I have done the first semesters worth of academics already. My preceptor just wrote "to be determined" on the lines for the contract. The school had no problem with that. It's between her and I. All she's asked for so far is a ream of paper :) This particular school does put much more responsibility on the preceptor, but I already have plans to surf around my last year and get some hands on with others so I have a more rounded education and experience level. Otherwise-what other's have said above holds true for me too! Hope that helps!

Mama to 4 Boys & One baby Girl! My DH co-sleeps! (with the couch) I'm a Student Midwife!
#10 of 12 Old 11-13-2010, 03:55 PM

i have started some of the work, too since it's all online.  it's taking me a while to get through A&P though...ugh.

i am hoping my current preceptor would be willing to do it with me if i decide to go for it.  i am concerned about losing my previous PEP work though since this will change my route to NARM a bit.  Any insight into this?

#11 of 12 Old 11-13-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post

i have started some of the work, too since it's all online.  it's taking me a while to get through A&P though...ugh.

i am hoping my current preceptor would be willing to do it with me if i decide to go for it.  i am concerned about losing my previous PEP work though since this will change my route to NARM a bit.  Any insight into this?

Have you called the school? I know for me they won't take anything until I'm currently enrolled which means what (very few) births I have attended-even as observes-are no credit :( It may vary state to state though and I didn't even start the route by PEP so truly I don't know. They do seem very helpful on the phone though, so I would recommend calling them. They do take credits for college classes I took via my local community college. Thank God I don't have to do A&P over again. I'm doing a review-just to bring things fresh but not the whole course whew! (and I get to skip chemistry and statistics-yay yay yay!) 

Mama to 4 Boys & One baby Girl! My DH co-sleeps! (with the couch) I'm a Student Midwife!
#12 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 03:34 PM

so, i did call them on the phone a while back.  the person said there is no credit given for births or prenatals, none of the clinical work.  she was clear that there are no exceptions to this!  i would lose way too much of my work to enroll at NCM, it seems.  i am rather disappointed.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page