Homebirth Midwives Oregon North Coast - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-05-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone help me find a way to deliver at home here in Astoria? So far, I have had no luck finding any midwives or even a natural birth community over here and now we are expecting and I'm desperate! I will probably choose uc over going to the hospital here as I delivered our first (missed m/c) in that hospital and will avoid it if at all possible.

I am close to Longview, WA and the Long Beach Peninsula in WA. I could also go farther south like Cannon Beach. I can't be more than about an hour away though.

Can anyone give me a contact to start searching here? I'd so much appreciate it.

~Rebekah
#2 of 19 Old 06-05-2010, 12:36 PM

I can't think of anyone there...try posting in tribal areas if you haven't already.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#3 of 19 Old 06-08-2010, 03:22 AM

go to www.oregonmidwiferycouncil.org There are a bunch of midwives in Portland and surrounding areas. Hopefully, by contacting some of them, they may know someone who supports your area, or perhaps one of them does! Good luck!!
- Jen

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#4 of 19 Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 PM

I feel your pain. I'm a student midwife looking for an Apprenticeship and we might move to Astoria. There is one Midwife in Longbeach, WA area that doesn't do very many births and Annette in Tillamook is wonderful as well. I don't know if she's willing to travel that far, but she's wonderful and isn't listed anywhere since she only does a couple births per year. Let me know if you're interested and I'll direct her your way. Also, sometimes the Midwives at Andalux Waterbirth Center in Pdx will come to the coast to attend a homebirth.

Grace: Student Midwife Christ Follower, : to 3 busy babes and to #4
#5 of 19 Old 06-09-2010, 05:17 AM

I'm a little jealous that I can't move to Astoria! I've loved it ever since Kindergarten Cop! LOL!!! It's such a beautiful town! Sounds like a midwife needs to take the opportunity and move there and start a practice!
- Jen

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#6 of 19 Old 06-13-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

We definitely need midwives out here ladies!!!! It would be so cool for a few of you to come out and buy one of these neat big old houses and start a birth center. Any students should absolutely think about it!! Housing prices are great and there are some beautiful historic homes. Please come, please, please, please!!!

And FYI - the only elementary school is the Kindergarten Cop school, gorgeous inside and out! The kids love it there!

~rebekah
phathui5 likes this.
#7 of 19 Old 06-14-2010, 07:29 AM

So... my questions before moving there would be... why isn't there a midwife there already, is there a natural birth friendly environment... i.e., is there LLL, is there a need for a midwife? and how many people live within 50-60 miles of Astoria?

#8 of 19 Old 06-17-2010, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

There is a LLL, apparently pretty active, although I don't know this firsthand. I think there is a more natural lifestyle movement happening as there is a co-op and thriving farmer's market. I don't know why there isn't a midwife out here. I know of one that lives across the river in Long Beach, WA, but I heard she is retired. If you could find out who she is, you could probably get a lot of info from her. There are quite a few small towns near here that you could serve - Astoria, Warrenton, Gearhart, Seaside, Cannon Beach, Arch Cape, Svenson, Knappa...
#9 of 19 Old 06-17-2010, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oregon lists their birth stats/per county -Astoria is in Clatsop co and the total population in 07 was 37,400- total births 412- 5 were out of hospital, Columbia co is near by is a bit bigger 47,500- total births 537 , 10 out of hospital births, Tillamook co- population about 26000- births 269, 8 out of hospital births

can get that and other info-
http://www.dhs.state.or.us/dhs/ph/ch.../codat07.shtml
#10 of 19 Old 06-18-2010, 01:36 AM

I dont know how to help the OP, but I am a student midwife and a classmate of mine plans on moving to astoria and starting a practice.

Cortney Mama to Lyra 1-20-08 and future midwife through Birthingway College of Midwifery
#11 of 19 Old 06-18-2010, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Yay, yay, yay!!!
#12 of 19 Old 06-19-2010, 03:59 AM

Some of the Andaluz Waterbirth Center midwives (in Portland) go to the coast, including Astoria, for homebirths. Clients come into Portland for most prenatals and postpartum appointments. There is also a midwife in Nehalem, Oregon who travels up and down the coast named Jennifer Childress.
#13 of 19 Old 04-02-2011, 02:27 PM

Did you find anyone? Im 45 min from you and cannot find anyone we can afford, grrrr. Yes we need more midwives in this area grrrr

#14 of 19 Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 AM

I am looking for a midwife that would attend a homebirth in Depoe Bay, OR. I will be moving there when I'm 33 weeks along. help.gif

#15 of 19 Old 08-03-2013, 06:15 PM

Hi All!

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a hard time finding a homebirth midwife in the northern coast area, hopefully things worked out. I know it's late, but I'm a homebirth midwife and I'm just starting my practice in Astoria. I'm thrilled to be there and I'm super excited about be able to provide a service that is clearly been lacking. So, if you know of anyone looking or you are looking for a different pregnancy, here's my info...www.astoriamidwife.com. Happy Birthing!

Kristen xoxoxo

#16 of 19 Old 08-03-2013, 06:17 PM

Hi All!

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a hard time finding a homebirth midwife in the northern coast area, hopefully things worked out. I know it's late, but I'm a homebirth midwife and I'm just starting my practice in Astoria. I'm thrilled to be there and I'm super excited about be able to provide a service that is clearly been lacking. So, if you know of anyone looking or you are looking for a different pregnancy, here's my info...www.astoriamidwife.com. Happy Birthing!

Kristen xoxoxo

#17 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 06:28 PM

I am willing to go to the coast.

www.birthwithLiz.com 

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#18 of 19 Old 08-09-2013, 05:30 PM

Kristen Downer

www.astoriamidwife.com

#19 of 19 Old 10-02-2013, 10:36 PM

I am a 62 year old grandmother; an honorary doula, since I have attended many births but not in a professional capacity.  I'm a health retail worker, an artist and writer, and a huge advocate of midwifery and home birth.  I know there are midwives in the North Oregon coast region, but for some reason they seem to be difficult to find.  Vicky McAfee at Gypsy's Whimsy is a certified herbalogist and is acquainted with at least one, upriver from Astoria somewhere; we have discussed this.  And I have a customer who recently had a home birth south of Seaside somewhere; I can ask who her midwife or birth attendant was.  Point is, there does need to be a center.  I have a friend in Texas, a nurse-midwife who is trying to start one there, I wonder if they could be connected, and I would be willing to put some effort and time into this.  I don't have the skills or accreditation but I have some experience and would love to see it happen.  I was just saying today, to a grandma shopping in the store, that we should have a midwifery-maternity workshop or regular meetings/seminars.  She agreed, fervently!  We live in Seaside.  I am involved in a womens' spiritual circle; certainly one or more of the group members will know of or know a local midwife, as many have kids.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page