Student Midwives! Where are you going to school? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-24-2010, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking into MEAC accredited schools, and they all look great. Where are you going, and what do you like?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

#2 of 18 Old 11-26-2010, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Come on now...I know there are student midwives on this forum! :)

#3 of 18 Old 11-26-2010, 07:24 AM

I am doing self-study and apprenticeship.  I already went to a 4 year school and got a bachelors degree in Human Relations.  Gotta pay that off before I could even consider adding to my loans, but good luck with your choice!

Partner to one: '08  Mama to three: '08, '11, '13  homebirth.jpgintactlact.gif
#4 of 18 Old 11-26-2010, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Have you read through the Student Midwives thread? Lots of discussion about school options in that huge thread :)

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#5 of 18 Old 11-26-2010, 12:47 PM

I am attending Institute of Holistic Midwifery, and I love it. They are new and are going for MEAC accrediation.

Loving wife and mama to 3 happy, healthy, home born children
#6 of 18 Old 11-26-2010, 07:08 PM

I didn't reply because my choice was to avoid MEAC schools :-)  I chose AAMI and I think it's great.

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#7 of 18 Old 11-27-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Why avoid MEAC schools?

#8 of 18 Old 11-27-2010, 05:49 PM

I don't like the standardization and limits that come with accreditation.  When you combine accreditation, certification and licensure, you homogenize midwifery and I don't think that is whats best for mothers.  I think we need to hold on to  midwifery as an organic and dynamic community service position, not a professional organization that becomes more medicalized every year.  I think MEAC and NARM are a part of the medicalization process of midwifery and both support licensure and the funneling of all students through one route to midwifery - attendance of a meac school, clinicals with a narm approved preceptor or clinic, certification and licensure.

That's why in a very abbreviated nutshell :-)

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#9 of 18 Old 11-27-2010, 06:34 PM

I will be enrolling in AAMI after the new year.  I've heard and read that the study course is not as easy and other courses and I like their philosophy.  I also attended the AAMI Skillslab recently and love how low intervention/hands off they are about labor.  I believe it's the right fit for me.

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#10 of 18 Old 11-27-2010, 07:32 PM

I'm attending the National College of Midwifery and really, really love it. It is just what I was looking for as far as a structured academic program. I like the way the modules are organized, I like the courses themselves, I like that you can work with your preceptor to organize the order you will do the courses, I like that your preceptor has some freedom to help you tailor the program to your needs as a student and your community's needs/issues, I like that at the end of the program I'll have this massive resource that I've created in completing the courses (basically all of my coursework/tests in one huge organized binder that I can use as a reference and study guide for the NARM exam and beyond), I like that I only had to pay the affordable tuition once, I like that my preceptors are helping me stay academically and clinically accountable, I like the school administrators a lot, and finally - NCM just works perfectly for me. :) I'd definitely recommend the program to other students.

Allyson - wife, mama, midwife
#11 of 18 Old 12-21-2010, 06:49 AM

I will be attending the Institute of Holistic Midwifery in FEb 2011. I will be finishing up my Masters degree in Marriage Couple and Family Therapy as well combined with a certification in play therapy. 

Peace. Love. Light
#12 of 18 Old 12-22-2010, 03:03 PM

I chose AAMI as well, for some of the same reasons as Laura mentioned already, and I knew it would be a better education for much less money. I have been unable to obtain a local apprentiship (that is what my heart so badly wants) so I have decided to begin clinical/hands on training at Better Birth in Utah.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#13 of 18 Old 12-23-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato3cherubs View Post

I chose AAMI as well, for some of the same reasons as Laura mentioned already, and I knew it would be a better education for much less money. I have been unable to obtain a local apprentiship (that is what my heart so badly wants) so I have decided to begin clinical/hands on training at Better Birth in Utah.

Did you realize that Better Birth is "typically"- and I am quoting from what I have heard from other midwives and clients who have birthed at BB that is tends to be a more hands on practice. Suzanne S--th is know to be a "medwife" in Northen Utah. I have no bone to pick with her or BB.I may even spend some time there next year if it works out. I tend to be a more center of the road type of midwife. Very hands off but not too worried about licensure etc. (myself PEP process will take the NARM and not license)A good friend will be working there when she passes the NARM in Feb. but just thought is was a interesting fit for an AAMIer as they tend to be very hands off. I know it is hard when you can't get an apprenticeship. :( Best of luck just thought you might want another opinion.

To the origional question I decided I really couldn't afford a MEAC school as I already had a degree and lots of birth experience and a great preceptor. PEP and self study were the best options for me. If I had done MEAC school I would look into Institute of Holistic Midwifery- love that you can clep out of classes if you are an advanced student, you have to get 80% to pass a class, and it is very affordable (less than $5000) or Midwifery college of Utah it is more expensive but it is a true college like experience.

Good luck!

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#14 of 18 Old 12-23-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sijae View Post

I don't like the standardization and limits that come with accreditation.  When you combine accreditation, certification and licensure, you homogenize midwifery and I don't think that is whats best for mothers.  I think we need to hold on to  midwifery as an organic and dynamic community service position, not a professional organization that becomes more medicalized every year.  I think MEAC and NARM are a part of the medicalization process of midwifery and both support licensure and the funneling of all students through one route to midwifery - attendance of a meac school, clinicals with a narm approved preceptor or clinic, certification and licensure.

That's why in a very abbreviated nutshell :-)

Yeah, I totally agree.  Several years back I  looked into all available midwifery schools (about 03-04 it was) and first I found that I was not eligible for any sort of public student funding because I already had a BA.  But I did a study on what programs were available,  spoke with some of the directors and students, looked them over carefully (all sorts of programs...pretty much everything I could locate).  And was saddened to see the 'homogenization and medicalization' of midwifery, the move away from that 'organic and dynamic community service position' that midwifery has traditionally--and SO beneficially for families--been.  At the time I was actually taking a Feminist Rhetorical Criticism class, and wrote a feminist critique of the Seattle Midwifery School (which stood out to me as the worst of the 'management, medical and homogenization' stuff I was seeing in many of the programs at the time).  To me, by the way, 'medicalization' is not just about tools, drugs, etc--it's about the managerial position over clients that is at the core of medical philosophy.  I see that inherent heirarchy as so damaging to us all, and to birth itself...although I confess to lifelong egalitarian tendencies, even knowing how dangerous that is...orngbiggrin.gif

I have always been self-taught.  Now, I have taken many college courses, and NRP, and attended conferences and so forth over the years...just saying that I was self-motivated to self-design my midwifery education (and have read countless books/articles on my own as well).  That self education started in the late 70s and has been fairly ongoing.  When I found that I could not get public funding for midwifery school (returning to practice after a long break), the only option was to find a department of the graduate programs available at the local Uni that would take me on.  So, I was officially a grad student of Speech Communication and took several classes in that program--but also took many undergrad science, health ed, women's studies courses--I was aiming to cover the territory of coursework required by the MEAC schools (not claiming to have covered it all!)--and I was planning to become a CPM and move to a CPM legal state.  And this self education has had it's good side and not-so-good (as any education has)--but in the end I realize that for the struggles involved it was really the best thing for me: and that is mainly because I was always able to maintain my vision of midwifery as that organic, dynamic service work Laura mentioned.  I was never exposed much to the medicalization/homogenization aspects of NARM and the meac schools.

As for NARM...well I am in agreement with it's founding ideals as I understand them.  And very disappointed with the realities, nuff said. 

So now I don't know if I will actually become a CPM after all.  But it hardly matters since my education will be ongoing as it always has been.  Which I recommend to every mw, in whatever fashion suits you.  Just know that if you are going to get a MEAC education--just like any other institutionally-run education in any field--you are going to also get the 'social/political education/indoctrination' that comes along with the facts, figures and skills.  Knowing this, and deciding for yourself how much you do or do not agree with that part of the education, forming and holding to your own values, can help you get the best out of that education without accidentally ingesting the koolaid along with everyone else.

#15 of 18 Old 12-23-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato3cherubs View Post

Did you realize that Better Birth is "typically"- and I am quoting from what I have heard from other midwives and clients who have birthed at BB that is tends to be a more hands on practice. Suzanne S--th is know to be a "medwife" in Northen Utah. I have no bone to pick with her or BB.I may even spend some time there next year if it works out. I tend to be a more center of the road type of midwife. Very hands off but not too worried about licensure etc. (myself PEP process will take the NARM and not license)A good friend will be working there when she passes the NARM in Feb. but just thought is was a interesting fit for an AAMIer as they tend to be very hands off. I know it is hard when you can't get an apprenticeship. :( Best of luck just thought you might want another opinion.

Yes, I have figured that out just from the web site. It would take me too long to explain my whole situation and feelings here, and I dont want to hijak the thread, but I do understand, and still feel that it will be a much better start to continueing my education than nothing at all, which is my other option right now. I am very set in my beliefs and feelings on how I will practice, and know that I can continue to learn as much of what NOT to do as WHAT to do. I am definantly right in line with AAMI beliefs, which is part of whay it is a great fit, but tend to not be as extream on many things as some of the ladies. I tend to ride the fence a bit, I just ride it really off balanced, LOL

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#16 of 18 Old 12-25-2010, 10:12 PM

When I started looking at going to school my first thought was, "I want a school that reflects my values." Then I realized that I'm already pretty aware of my own values- do I really need a school that shows me what I already know? So I decided I'd just go where was most convenient and see how many times I can break open and put myself back together again through the process. I think it's going to be BRILLIANT.

I've heard great things about Birthingway in Portland but it's 4 hours away. I live much closer to Seattle Midwifery School which is expensive as all get out but frankly it's far more convenient and realistic that I'd continue a school that is local. An online school is out- I need the interactive time and the community that is built from being face to face or I won't finish it. I know I'm definitely licensing even though I am fully behind the reasons why some midwives choose not to.

The rub for SMS is that I need 40 more credits before I can even apply, now that it's a Master's program. But when I'm done... I'll have a MASTER'S! joy.gif

So I'm still deciding- if Birthingway is something I can make work I might just go there. Either way I'm doing birth assisting for now and learning as I go as much as I can, and will make a final decision about school at the end of this year.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#17 of 18 Old 12-26-2010, 07:55 AM

I am a student at Birthingway College of Midwifery in Portland, OR.  I cannot imagine going anywhere else.  I wanted to study in oregon because of the many options available to women here.  I kept finding myself being drawn to the idea of bio-dynamic care, to a model that focuses on well being, and to a school that highly values and focuses on community, support, care, and openness.  Non violent communication is something taught to students to help aid in their cummunication amongst each other, and in their work as midwives, but it is also used in the school by staff and faculty.  I also really value that my suggestions and criticisms of the school are taken seriously.  There is a focus on equality and they really try not to have a "power over" authoritarian type relationship.  

I thought I knew a lot about birth after being a doula for 4 years, and having a child....but there is so much more eye opening to be had for me.  I love that we are normally given assignments that are directly applicable to our work as midwives...and not just busy work.  

I love my school, but it is not perfect.  Sometimes we get behind in class and this can be really stressful to make sure we get everything done so I can do my homework well.  Our work is graded pass, remediate ( it is ok for the quarter, but you will have to re-do it again before graduation), and incomplete ( you are missing some key components and need to re-do before the quarter is over).  We don't have As, Bs, Cs, etc....because would you really want a C midwife?  No!  You want your midwife to know it all.  :)  Sometimes a teacher and you wont jive well together.  Sometimes that is how it goes.

I really love my school though and am glad I am here.  I feel like I am getting what I want out of the school.

I chose not to do self study or a similar route for a few reasons.  I very rarely have extra cash.  I do not have a previous degree and so get many grants to help pay for school.  Yes, I do take out loans, and will have debt though.  I want to be a midwife in the next 4 years or so.  If I did self study I do not believe this would happen for me.  I also do not think the zillion questions I am always asking in class would be answered as thoroughly, or challenge me to think beyond what the books say.  I like that I am exposed to many midwives and thus am not relying on one woman, and one point of view to help draw my conclusions about the way I will practice.  I think for me it would take too long and I would not be challenged in the same way if I were left to do this on my own. I also can't imagine not having my "sisters" to learn with.  I have 14 other people (1 of my classmates recently decided to move so there are now 15 instead of 16 total) to learn and share with.  This is one of my favorite parts of the day, just getting to sit around the table for 45 minutes and listen to my fellow classmates share what is going on for them.  My school makes room for this.  

I must go now, but if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

dynamicdoula likes this.

Cortney Mama to Lyra 1-20-08 and future midwife through Birthingway College of Midwifery
#18 of 18 Old 12-30-2010, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I attend a MEAC school, and I agree with MsBlack entirely.  For me, I had no other choice but to attend the school I'm enrolled in currently.  I have to work hard and speak up in order to hold on to my own values which are vastly different than the values of the school.  It's hard and disheartening.  Luckily for both me and the families I plan to serve, I am hard-headed and my heart knows what is right.  I'll make it.  But I often wish so much that I had had other choices when deciding which school to attend a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post

Just know that if you are going to get a MEAC education--just like any other institutionally-run education in any field--you are going to also get the 'social/political education/indoctrination' that comes along with the facts, figures and skills.  Knowing this, and deciding for yourself how much you do or do not agree with that part of the education, forming and holding to your own values, can help you get the best out of that education without accidentally ingesting the koolaid along with everyone else.

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page