What countries will take a certified professional midwife? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am thinking more and more about moving after I am done with my apprenticeship. It will have been seven years of apprenticeship and I will have my CPM. I have five children and a lovely husband and I would love to move somewhere out of the US.

The problem is I have been looking for awhile and it is really hard to figure out where I can move to and have a job. The midwifery laws are so completely different from region to region. Can someone help me out????

Places that interest me would be:

Germany (I have dual citizenship in Germany, so this is very much on the top of my list)

Ireland

England

Netherlands (A great homebirth area I here.)

New Zealand

Vancouver, BC

Thank you for helping!!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#2 of 23 Old 11-29-2010, 09:12 PM

I'm a CNM in Chicago and am planning to move to Vancouver BC next fall. You'd need to do a bridging program of 6 to 9 months in order to become registered there. All midwives in Canada do home and hospital birth, so your focus in the bridging program would likely be hospital birth.

Here's the link to the bridging program: http://cmrc-ccosf.ca/node/213 .

Hope this helps-maybe our paths will cross.!

Warmly-

Jennifer

mschrein22 likes this.
#3 of 23 Old 12-02-2010, 11:58 AM

From what I have read none of the countries you mentioned accept CPMs, allow them to practice at all, and will sometimes prosecute non licensed MWs if they do practice. The standards are too dissimilar; all of those countries have midwives that have educational and training requirements equal to our CNMs.

I am pretty sure (but not positive) that of all industrialized countries only the USA allows CPMs (or any other direct entry MWs). Canada use to have CPMs but they were banned a few years ago.

There are other countries you may not have considered where you're skills will be valuable. I live in Mexico, on the Pacific, and its great here even though I don't speak Spanish :)

Good luck!

pamamidwife likes this.
#4 of 23 Old 12-02-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSolarMomma View Post

From what I have read none of the countries you mentioned accept CPMs, allow them to practice at all, and will sometimes prosecute non licensed MWs if they do practice. The standards are too dissimilar; all of those countries have midwives that have educational and training requirements equal to our CNMs.

I am pretty sure (but not positive) that of all industrialized countries only the USA allows CPMs (or any other direct entry MWs). Canada use to have CPMs but they were banned a few years ago.

There are other countries you may not have considered where you're skills will be valuable. I live in Mexico, on the Pacific, and its great here even though I don't speak Spanish :)

Good luck!

Bolded= wrong.

I'm certain that midwives in Canada, New Zealand, and the Netherlands have a four year degree in midwifery-no nursing degree required first. Germany I'm not sure about. England and Ireland both require nursing degrees.

All Candian midwives are "registered". If by CPM you mean "unlicensed", then yes, there are probably midwives doing home births in Canada that aren't registered, and I don't know what, if any, prosecution there is.

homebirthing, this link http://cmrc-ccosf.ca/node/221 will be able to tell you if you are eligible for the bridging program. If your training is exclusively apprenticeship with no formal education, you aren't eligible, but they have an assessment process for midwives with a lot of experience.

And, of course, if you don't want to work in a hospital, you may not be interested in coming to Canada! :)

#5 of 23 Old 12-03-2010, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I looked into New Zealand a few years ago. While they don't automatically accept the CPM as a credential to get you up and running, I was told that I could submit all my info in a portfolio and they would evaluate it. I don't know much more about it other than that.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#6 of 23 Old 12-05-2010, 08:28 AM

(I thought homebirthing was a big no-no in Germany?)

Where I live in Thailand, I suppose a CPM would be taken if I'd done a university program to get there with a great resume and transcripts.

BUT .... you are forgetting that with most countries, you need a VISA... very specific stipulations for living in that country.

And here, not sure about other places, just because you get a visa, doens't mean you have a PERMIT to work at all.

So it's not just the CPM, it's the 95% other stuff that would need to be taken into consideration.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#7 of 23 Old 12-09-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengacnm View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewSolarMomma View Post

Bolded= wrong.

I'm certain that midwives in Canada, New Zealand, and the Netherlands have a four year degree in midwifery-no nursing degree required first. Germany I'm not sure about. England and Ireland both require nursing degrees.

That which I've bolded is also incorrect. Since (I think) 2000, midwives in England must have a BSc in Midwifery. This can be obtained by a three-year programme for direct entry students or an 18 month programme for registered nurses. Mine was as the latter in 2009. I'm not sure about Ireland as their licensing is entirely separate. There are independent midwives in the UK (vs NHS) but they have the same educational requirements since 2000.

#8 of 23 Old 12-09-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post

BUT .... you are forgetting that with most countries, you need a VISA... very specific stipulations for living in that country.

And here, not sure about other places, just because you get a visa, doens't mean you have a PERMIT to work at all.

So it's not just the CPM, it's the 95% other stuff that would need to be taken into consideration.

This is really important! It is extremely difficult to move into other countries nowadays! Getting a visa, and permits to work as well, are like hen's teeth. (I moved to the UK from the USA) However, the OP says she has dual citizenship in Germany, so I believe this would give her free access to the UK, at least, via both being EU countries.

#9 of 23 Old 12-09-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

I am not going to school, but instead doing a really long apprenticeship. I will have my CPM, but no MEAC accredidation. Hmmm...what to do.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#10 of 23 Old 12-10-2010, 09:07 AM

I just had a homebirth in Germany. My understanding is that German midwives go to a 3 yr specialized school for midwives. Beyond that though, you also need to consider insurance and culture of practice. It is getting harder for homebirth midwives in Germany due to some changes in insurance law. But being an EU citizen makes it MUCH easier to live and work in other EU countries. Good luck, we're having the same conversation at our house!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#11 of 23 Old 12-30-2010, 07:26 PM

For you living in Mexico could you tell me more about the process to practice as a midwife there. Are you practicing there? What do you know about state or national law regulating home birth in MX? I agree totally about the visa aspect of the problem...could be quite a big deal for me to be able to practice as a midwife there. I hold a CO license in the US and a CPM. Thoughts or feed back welcome!

#12 of 23 Old 12-30-2010, 10:48 PM

Canada has registered midwives though i think it varies from province to province, you do not need nursing first, it is a 4 year university bachelor program to become certified and Im pretty sure the program is the same if you are a nurse or not. It is however very difficult to get into the 4 year program :S

You do need to do a bridging program in order to practice if you are coming out of country. I am not 100% on BC regulations if they differ from Ontario but you could check out

http://www.bcmidwives.com/

http://www.midwifery.ubc.ca/midwifery.htm

Vancouver is an amazing city! Ive only visited there but it is one of the most beautiful places Ive been :)

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#13 of 23 Old 09-15-2011, 05:32 PM

I wanted to bump this thread to see if any of you had any information on Mexico as well.  My family will be moving there soon and I plan to practice in Mexico...

Shannon, Daughter of the King, Wife to Christopher, Blessed Mom of 3 Boys. Homeschool, SAHM, and midwife. 

#14 of 23 Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 PM

Shannon--Where are you moving to in Mexico?

I am on a search for a midwife here to do a HB, if at all possible. :)

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#15 of 23 Old 10-17-2011, 01:05 PM

sra playas, where are you? i lived in mexico for a few years and im coming back next summer. In some states there are great midwives, like in San Cristobal de las Casas (Luna Maya) and in Veracruz is Naoli Vinaver, a real wise soul. Aldso in San Miguel is CASA, the midwifery school, and in Mexico city there are options too.

#16 of 23 Old 10-17-2011, 02:20 PM

delfin--Thanks.:) We live in Northern Baja, and I am pretty sure that HB is not technically "legal" in this state. If you have any resources, I would love them! I've had to drive across the border for my previous births and it would be so special to do it here this time and not have that extra stress added on. :) It's at times like this that I wish we were in Veracruz or San Miguel!

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#17 of 23 Old 10-18-2011, 06:59 AM

ah, don't know ther...i was in san jose del cabo and we got a doc for my homebirth (that ended in transfer because he. just. didn't. show.up

i will see if i find something....lay midwifes for sure, but let's find professionals if thats what you would like :)

#18 of 23 Old 10-18-2011, 07:14 AM

sra playas, do you know her? Georgina García Lepe, Centro de atencion materno infantil Cami

is in TJ, she's a cb educator and doula, but it seems that she works with a team doing water births and gentle birth

#19 of 23 Old 10-18-2011, 12:43 PM

delfin, thank you. How did you find her? I will definitely follow up on this. :)

#20 of 23 Old 10-18-2011, 06:15 PM

i did a google search with partera tijuana, then i found her on facebook ....ah, the interweb!

#21 of 23 Old 10-22-2011, 10:08 PM

Just FYI! Casa in El Paso is closed now, but Maternidad La Luz is still open in El Paso. I'd love to practice in a latin country as well! I lived in Chile for two years and expecting moms regularly see midwives unless they're high risk (go figure!). I often wonder if CPM credentials could work there.

#22 of 23 Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 AM

I am considering moving to San Jose del Cabo to practice midwifery.  I am an RN in the states but not licensed as a midwife.  Can you give me any idea about the laws down here?  (I am here now, for a delivery).  Thanks!

#23 of 23 Old 02-24-2013, 10:52 PM

did you ever find anything  out about this? i am interested in knowing as well.

Blessings!

Mama of 2 sons...1995: homebirth bf.gif 2003: homebirth with just my husband and I present, and lotus birth lotbirth.gif

Midwife   bellycast.gif  Herbalist  stillheart.gif  Placenta encapsulation provider placenta.gif    

Waldorf-certified early childhood teacher

namaste.gif  http://www.unfoldinglotus.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page