midwife non-compete agreement - is that normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-17-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been told by a midwife here that I can't hire her unless I get approval from the senior midwife who trained her. I hired the sm 5 years ago for DS1 and did not complete the pregnancy with her cause we moved out of state. Since then I've had a second child. Now I've returned and am looking to interview a few midwives for baby #3. 

This is what the midwife said "Not only is it unethical but I also signed an agreement to that effect." 

DH and I don't see how it's unethical... maybe if we were trying to switch in the same birth. I feel like the SM midwife is limiting my choices to seek out the best fit for my current pregnancy.

Does this seem odd or is this standard for some midwives? Maybe someone could give me some perspective :) 

Thanks!

Happy to be married to DH and SAHM to Brenden (10/16/06) and Jackson (5/3/09)! Expecting baby #3 in July
Homeschooling worked for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-17-2010, 03:48 PM

It isn't unusual, especially if the midwife in training is now practicing in the same area as her mentor. It prevents client "pilfering".... an unfortunate occurrence. Sometimes a couple can form a stronger bond with a student and remember her more fondly because they were part of her growth as a midwife. This happens more times than you might realize. This protects a midwife from fearing for her practice when accepting a local student midwife for training.  It isn't unethical for YOU to seek her out... she must feel that it falls under the agreement she made with her former mentor. If you really like her, give the other midwife a call and tell her so!!!

#3 of 3 Old 12-19-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the reply! I just needed another perspective and that really helped peace.gif

Happy to be married to DH and SAHM to Brenden (10/16/06) and Jackson (5/3/09)! Expecting baby #3 in July
Homeschooling worked for me!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page