Midwifery Students 2011 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 87 Old 05-06-2011, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey everyone.. I've finally decided to join. I am a birth doula right now, and am now starting my journey to become a midwife!

I think I have decided that I want to be both a LM with my state and a CPM. That seems to be a popular combo around here since the state licensure process requires part of the NARM. thumb.gif

I am currently enrolled in the first module of the Midwife to Be program, though I am thinking I may want to complete another program to supplement. Is this over kill? I don't have an apprenticeship right now, and I don't think I'm ready for that step quite yet, so I'm thinking the extra academics will help. Plus I'll learn from two different teaching styles. Anyone else done this? The second school I'm considering is IHM.

Also toying with the idea of going to community college to get my AS in Nursing. Not sure where that will go though, since I really don't see myself as a CNM.

sleepytime.gif, birth-working wife to  guitar.gif (06/2010). Student midwife working towards creating a birth sanctuary. luxlove.gif

TTC #1 since 2010. brokenheart.gif, July 2012. Waiting for our rainbow1284.gif sometime very soon.

#62 of 87 Old 05-08-2011, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone!

I was previously enrolled in Midwest Maternal Child Institute and National College but after moving to a state that does not require a MEAC's education I dropped the didactic courses and have gone full PEP process. I am about 1/4 of the way through my clinicals and anxious to finish up so I can join my midwife's/preceptor's birth center that she will be opening.

- The Squished Hippie, Babywearing Yoda, Certified Doula, Student Midwife, Mom to 4 amazing kiddos

Babywearer in Northern IL or Southern WI?  Ask me about my group...we have a lending library!
#63 of 87 Old 05-08-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildDoula View Post

Hey everyone.. I've finally decided to join. I am a birth doula right now, and am now starting my journey to become a midwife!

I think I have decided that I want to be both a LM with my state and a CPM. That seems to be a popular combo around here since the state licensure process requires part of the NARM. thumb.gif

I am currently enrolled in the first module of the Midwife to Be program, though I am thinking I may want to complete another program to supplement. Is this over kill? I don't have an apprenticeship right now, and I don't think I'm ready for that step quite yet, so I'm thinking the extra academics will help. Plus I'll learn from two different teaching styles. Anyone else done this? The second school I'm considering is IHM.

Also toying with the idea of going to community college to get my AS in Nursing. Not sure where that will go though, since I really don't see myself as a CNM.

Hi!!  I, like you, just simply can not see myself as a CNM - so I decided to become a CPM/LM.  Thankfully, I live in a state that is supportive of midwives and allows legal licensing (south carolina).

I too am in the Midwife To Be program - I live about an hour and a half away from Lisa Aman.

Can I ask why you think you need more training than the MTB program is offering you??  I will say this - It does get harder, much harder.  The books become larger, the material more in depth, and the projects much more applicable to hands on midwifery.  Since MTB is not MEAC accredited, I can only assume you'll be taking the NARM through the PEP process which is difficult and gives PLENTY of opportunity for hands on learning.

I'm really enjoying this program and finding it extremely thorough!

I highly, highly suggest you go ahead and start looking for a preceptor.  I've been apprenticing since I was on Unit 2 of Phase 1.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#64 of 87 Old 05-09-2011, 02:49 AM

cinderella08: I am just starting, so maybe you're right and I'll do more before I make a decision. The reason I was also considering IHM if because it IS MEAC accredited, and I wouldn't have to go through all of the PEP. As for a preceptor, I have been looking in my area and none of the midwives here seem to have busy enough practices, or they already have students. Seems silly, since I live in Phoenix, AZ, and you would think such a big city would have enough midwives and people interested in midwifery/homebirthing, but I guess that is not the case. We are considering relocating to Pennsylvania, though I definitely have to do more research about the birth communities over on that side of the world. smile.gif

sleepytime.gif, birth-working wife to  guitar.gif (06/2010). Student midwife working towards creating a birth sanctuary. luxlove.gif

TTC #1 since 2010. brokenheart.gif, July 2012. Waiting for our rainbow1284.gif sometime very soon.

#65 of 87 Old 05-09-2011, 08:26 AM

Hi ladies!  I haven't posted in a while, but I'm about halfway through with midwifery school and moving to work with a new preceptor (yay yay yay!!!!) this summer.  And Friday morning, my partner and I found out that we are pregnant with our first baby!  Very unplanned but very loved and wanted.  We weren't planning on TTC until we both finish school, at least another two years away.  But apparently this little one has lessons to teach us now, so we are both very happy. joy.gif

Lynsahm likes this.

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#66 of 87 Old 05-09-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:

cinderella08: I am just starting, so maybe you're right and I'll do more before I make a decision. The reason I was also considering IHM if because it IS MEAC accredited, and I wouldn't have to go through all of the PEP. As for a preceptor, I have been looking in my area and none of the midwives here seem to have busy enough practices, or they already have students. Seems silly, since I live in Phoenix, AZ, and you would think such a big city would have enough midwives and people interested in midwifery/homebirthing, but I guess that is not the case. We are considering relocating to Pennsylvania, though I definitely have to do more research about the birth communities over on that side of the world. smile.gif

Is IHM really MEAC accredited? It's confusing, b/c I thought they were trying to get accredited, and their website says: The Institute for Holistic Midwifery supports MEAC accreditation, yet they aren't listed as a MEAC accredited program anywhere.  I know you can attend skills labs and get everything checked off and avoid PEP, but I wonder about their accreditation status.

Hope you find a preceptor soon!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#67 of 87 Old 05-10-2011, 04:18 PM

Huh, I just took that as they were accredited. Now I have to do more research! nut.gif But I guess I have some time to kill while I'm waiting for the perfect preceptor to come along. smile.gif

And congrats on the upcoming addition, wombjuicejoy.gif

#68 of 87 Old 05-10-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Ah, I see.  I kinda prefer the PEP process as I feel it gets more hands on training, kwim?

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

#69 of 87 Old 05-10-2011, 08:11 PM

cinderella08: I agree, it does give more hands on options as opposed to only doing a few weekends of hands on workshops, and it kind of stinks for me since nothing is available here. I don't think we're going to relocate within the next 6 months, so maybe as it gets closer to November/December I'll start looking at options in other communities.

I'm not opposed to any certain path to midwifery, just trying to find one that works so I can start NOW. ROTFLMAO.gif

#70 of 87 Old 05-11-2011, 02:42 PM

Hey everyone!

I'm jumping right back in here~~It's been a while since I've visited MDC.

I'm finishing up my Junior year to get my BS in nursing and getting ready to start looking forward to the future to midwifery. I've wanted to be a midwife since I was 16, but have followed other streams for a bit. Now that I'm 29 my littles are heading into school, I can feel my soul catching fire again and I want to see some mamas and bellies.

I began nursing school with plans to become a CNM because my area is very rural, but very conservative and there is only one CPM covering a very large area.  I love this midwife, but feel as though I'll be able to reach a wider population if I'm able to convince the hospital here that employing a CNM will be the best thing that ever happened to them AND our patientslove.gif

So, anywhooo, here goes!

Lynsahm likes this.
#71 of 87 Old 05-12-2011, 07:04 PM

Geesh. I'm mostly a lurker, but feel like I know you all so well! Just wanted to pop in and say CONGRATS WOMBJUICE!!!! Please keep us posted!

Mama to 4 Boys & One baby Girl! My DH co-sleeps! (with the couch) I'm a Student Midwife!
#72 of 87 Old 05-13-2011, 11:45 PM

What is PEP?

nak.gifLyn  ~~  Doula, Midwifery student homebirth.jpg, blended family mom of 6 grouphug.gif, grandma of 1, and wife of an amazing & generous man love.gif
#73 of 87 Old 05-14-2011, 06:41 AM

http://narm.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/checklist-el.pdf   - NARM PEP

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

#74 of 87 Old 05-14-2011, 01:51 PM

Hi,

I am a student at IHM and they are in the process of becoming pre-accredited this year. You cannot become fully accredited as a new school until you have student who have graduated and passed the NARM (i almost sure).

I would say, that IHM is a really great school and I love my class mates. Classes are small and you get to interact with your peers on weekly basis via web conference (go to meeting).

It is a fast paced program, but the midwives are great. i would definitely recommend the school.

Also, they are hosting a skills weekend July 29-31st in Chantilly, VA, I would suggest trying to go if you can.

Drummer's Wife likes this.

Peace. Love. Light
#75 of 87 Old 05-14-2011, 04:54 PM

Thank you, WildDoula and Crispie!! love.gif

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#76 of 87 Old 05-20-2011, 09:35 AM

I'm hoping to start at Nizhoni Institute of Midwifery this fall - so excited!  I've been working as a doula for a while, but being a CPM has always been my goal.

Birth Doula in Los Angeles

www.gentledoula.com

#77 of 87 Old 05-21-2011, 12:08 PM

Hello!  I am an apprenticing CPM here in Houston, TX!  I have three boys, 7, 3, 15 months.  My 7 year old is adopted and I had my other two at the birth center I now apprentice at.  I was going through ATM, but recently dropped it due to the fact we are moving out of the country.  So I am working hard on getting my numbers so I can apply for the PEP process.  Looking forward to chatting with more of you aspiring midwives :)

Shannon, Daughter of the King, Wife to Christopher, Blessed Mom of 3 Boys. Homeschool, SAHM, and midwife. 

#78 of 87 Old 05-25-2011, 06:24 PM

nice to see another CNM student around these parts! Do you know where you are planning on going for your MSN? I am currently enrolled at Frontier (and taking a study break to post this!), and won't be graduating for 2.5 loooong more years! Good luck as you continue on your journey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapejuicemama View Post

Hey everyone!

I'm jumping right back in here~~It's been a while since I've visited MDC.

I'm finishing up my Junior year to get my BS in nursing and getting ready to start looking forward to the future to midwifery. I've wanted to be a midwife since I was 16, but have followed other streams for a bit. Now that I'm 29 my littles are heading into school, I can feel my soul catching fire again and I want to see some mamas and bellies.

I began nursing school with plans to become a CNM because my area is very rural, but very conservative and there is only one CPM covering a very large area.  I love this midwife, but feel as though I'll be able to reach a wider population if I'm able to convince the hospital here that employing a CNM will be the best thing that ever happened to them AND our patientslove.gif

So, anywhooo, here goes!

Student Nurse Midwife and semi crunchy mom to 4 "C" named kids! 10yr old DS, 8 yr old DD, 6yr old DD, and 3 yr old DS. Praying that C #5 is in the future for me!
#79 of 87 Old 12-13-2011, 03:38 AM

Just stumbled upon this thread, wondering how everyone is doing with their studies!!

I have decided not to continue with the MTB program. I feel it lacks the direction I need. I am planning on enrolling in the National College of Midwifery next month, super excited for that. Still not apprenticing, but I've found an academic preceptor, which should get me through the first few months. biggrinbounce.gif

Anyone have any updates??

#80 of 87 Old 12-20-2011, 10:10 AM

Hi all! I am set to begin my studies with Frontier in 2 weeks! Eeeep! I'm so nervous.  I am working full time and have a 14 month old too, so it should be interesting to say the least. 

bfinfant.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFcd.giffamilybed1.gif  and future Midwife mama to Eliot!
#81 of 87 Old 12-20-2011, 10:13 AM

Lyssa- I have a few friends that attend Nizhoni Institute! I've heard wonderful things about the program!

bfinfant.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFcd.giffamilybed1.gif  and future Midwife mama to Eliot!
#82 of 87 Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 PM

I'm wondering where everyone went.  There used to be really active conversations on here, from midwives and students.  For years!  I'm honestly wondering if there is another board, or group on FB, or what.  Besides the midwiferytoday.com forum (which is dead) and studentmidwife.net (which isn't all that relative to those in the US or Canada). 

Thanks in advance, if anyone knows!

#83 of 87 Old 12-21-2011, 05:38 PM

There is the MANAStudentsandNewMidwives yahoo group that you could check out.

I haven't had much time to be online lately. I attended my third birth of the week today and I feel like I've been living at the birth center this week.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#84 of 87 Old 01-17-2012, 09:55 PM

SMNET- its a different system but it deals with the same things, I have learned loads on that website by reading the posts and interacting with the other women on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

I'm wondering where everyone went.  There used to be really active conversations on here, from midwives and students.  For years!  I'm honestly wondering if there is another board, or group on FB, or what.  Besides the midwiferytoday.com forum (which is dead) and studentmidwife.net (which isn't all that relative to those in the US or Canada). 

Thanks in advance, if anyone knows!

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#85 of 87 Old 01-18-2012, 07:07 PM

http://www.facebook.com/groups/BirthProfessionals/ is a very active group. I have moved almost completely over there. It has almost 2500 members. Birth professionals of all types but great discussions, info. and studies shared.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#86 of 87 Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 AM

Thanks, starrlamia and complete beginnings. I have read around on smnet and will continue to do so and I requested to join that FB group.

#87 of 87 Old 01-20-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

There is the MANAStudentsandNewMidwives yahoo group that you could check out.

I haven't had much time to be online lately. I attended my third birth of the week today and I feel like I've been living at the birth center this week.

Me too!  I used to post quite often here, but I feel like I am drowning often and have also been at 3 births and I am behind on my homework and home responsibilities.  I have 5 kids, after all.  I have all my certifications coming up this year, and so I'm going to NNR with Karen Strange in March and have to take the online exam 2 weeks before, and CPR in a couple of weeks.  And kids who need a nap still, and me too.  Keep trying!  I'm sure we'll return to lively discussions from time to time!

Tags
Midwifery Students

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page