Midwifery Students 2011 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 87 Old 01-07-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Calling out to all the hopefuls!  What is everyone up to?

I am at the beginning of my journey to become a CPM in Texas.  I am following the PEP process and have been reading and reading for the past year while my kiddos get a bit older.  I'm loosely following the NARM reference list but also throwing in other titles.  A homebirth/birth center midwife has graciously offered to let me come observe & assist with her this summer.  The apprenticeship really just fell in my lap and I am so grateful for her to spend the time with me!  I know this road will be a long one, especially since there is a fair chance we will add to our family in the next few years, but I am excited to begin!

violetflapjack likes this.

Believing, doting, simplifying, caffeinating, baking, midwife in training, and mothering like a dirty hippie. tea6.gif

baby.gif #3 due in April!

#2 of 87 Old 01-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Im applying here in Ontario for fall 2011 :)

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#3 of 87 Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Hi! Don't mind me, I'm just going to lurk. I'm just now starting my pre-requisites for nursing school.

#4 of 87 Old 01-09-2011, 04:15 PM

Hi!  I'm also in Texas (Houston/Katy) but haven't posted here in a looong time... came lurking today to check out the birth professionals forum.  I'm also really interested in midwifery and keep coming back to reading about it, but then I think, I must be nuts!  My children are 7, turning 6, 4, and 21 mos., although I honestly don't think we'll be adding to the fam in the future.  My youngest two were born at the birth center in Pearland after we moved to the Houston area a few years back.  My background (pre-mommy days) was in teaching, and I'm looking at the CPM route, thinking about a homebirth practice eventually.

Going to keep an eye on this thread!

CrescentC likes this.
#5 of 87 Old 01-10-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post

good luck! i'm in my first year at Laurentian.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#6 of 87 Old 01-10-2011, 03:51 PM

Can I join?  Started my reading and found a dual midwife practice that has agreed to take me on as a student as soon as their advanced student finishes up which should hopefully be this summer!  I'm loosely planning the National College of Midwifery but still doing the research.  In the meantime...read, read, read...

IBCLC, student midwife, and co-sleeping, delayed/no vax, extended breastfeeding, homeschooling Momma to M(8), A(6), R(4)vbac.gifafter 2 c/s, J(2) hbac.gifand M (09/11)nocirc.gif

#7 of 87 Old 01-10-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandib50 View Post

Quote:

awesome!!! how is it?!? lol (im applying to ryerson for p/t studies)

There is another woman on here who is applying to Laurentian for next year!

#8 of 87 Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm still truckin' along...halfway through with midwifery school.  I'm thinking about starting to buy my midwifery tools and supplies soon so I'm not overwhelmed when I open my practice.

I'm also trying to figure out where on earth I'm going to move when I'm done with school.  I'm sure as heck not staying in the state I live in now. disappointed.gif

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#9 of 87 Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

it's hectic ... and i only have a really light course load because i have a previous degree. i'm anxious to get into the clinical placements, i'd like to skip this part :)

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#10 of 87 Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombjuice View Post

I'm also trying to figure out where on earth I'm going to move when I'm done with school.  I'm sure as heck not staying in the state I live in now. disappointed.gif

Pardon my bias :) but Texas is a pretty friendly state for CPMs, and certain regions are seriously underrepresented!

Believing, doting, simplifying, caffeinating, baking, midwife in training, and mothering like a dirty hippie. tea6.gif

#11 of 87 Old 01-11-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

it's hectic ... and i only have a really light course load because i have a previous degree. i'm anxious to get into the clinical placements, i'd like to skip this part :)

ooh clinical placements is gonna be so much fun!!

#12 of 87 Old 01-12-2011, 08:26 AM

I might as well out myself as a lurker on these great threads. I'm still not formally on my path to midwifery (well, insofar as I'm not currently seeking an apprenticeship/preceptor and am not enrolled in a study program yet), but I am taking and very much enjoying Gloria Lemay's online introductory midwifery course. It's a great opportunity to meet other birth professionals around the world, and it is definitely whetting my appetite to do further, more formalized study!

Stay-at-home mama married to my best friend of 10+ years. lovestory.gif  Aspiring midwife loving parenting our beautiful babyf.gif Julian, born 5/24/09. Expecting a second bean in late July 2012!joy.gif
  h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIF  intactlact.gif  namaste.gif

#13 of 87 Old 01-12-2011, 08:33 PM

Hello all!

I just recently started really considering nursing school, and I just found out that a program in my state has a BSN/MSN program for those who already have a bachelor's degree.  And in the MSN, Nurse-Midwifery is an option! w00t!!!

So, I am praying and researching a lot in the next few weeks.  Regardless if I go for that program, or a more local accelerated BSN program,  I am still going to have a host of pre-requisites to take.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#14 of 87 Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 PM

Im working on pre-reqs for midwifery, thankfully because I can apply as a mature student I only need 3 instead of 6. It's been really strange doing high school courses almost 10 years after graduating! But ive been out of school so long Im thinking of them as practice runs for university :)

#15 of 87 Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 AM

I'm wrapping up my requirements for my toLabor certifications and will be enrolling in AAMI next month.

Lynsahm likes this.

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#16 of 87 Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 AM

Hello! I had been lurking on last year's thread, but I'll go ahead and jump in here I guess smile.gif  In the past six months or so, I've decided to go for my CPM (as opposed to CNM), started assisting a local midwife and started following the NARM guidelines and doing some self-study.  There are no local qualified CPMs taking apprentices locally right now (either they haven't been CPMs long enough to qualify as a preceptor or are about to have babies!).  So for right now, I'm doing my doula births, assisting a newer CPM and learning all kinds of useful things, and remaining involved in the local birth world. I'm considering either NCM or MCU for formal study at this point, leaning toward MCU since I already have a BS and it would be nice to have a Master's at the end of my studies.  Looking forward to learning and supporting in this thread!

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#17 of 87 Old 01-13-2011, 03:14 PM

I just posted on the old thread nut.gif but anyway, I am finishing up my apprenticeship (one more birth to go) and working on my AAMI studies, and plugging away in my college classes.

Lynsahm likes this.

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#18 of 87 Old 01-13-2011, 05:28 PM

i wish I could do apprenticeship now! Im itching to actually do stuff then read books and once im in school it will be a few years before i get to do any actual hands on stuff!

#19 of 87 Old 01-14-2011, 10:21 AM

I finished my ICD, will be finishing my ICCE in the next month or two, and then am enrolling in NMI.  I've been reading like a crazed person for a while now, and I can't wait to get going!

Will be lurking here too..

#20 of 87 Old 01-18-2011, 08:04 AM

I'm right there with you!  I'm looking at SC, TN or VA/NC border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombjuice View Post

I'm still truckin' along...halfway through with midwifery school.  I'm thinking about starting to buy my midwifery tools and supplies soon so I'm not overwhelmed when I open my practice.

#21 of 87 Old 01-19-2011, 06:18 PM

I havn't updated in a while either, so I guess I will.

I am still WAY behind where I should be with my AAMI work, but feeling a bit better about moving on. Plugging away at the last of my college courses I want to get out of the way as well. Due to the fact that I do not have anyone to apprentice with locally, I have signed up for some time at Better Birth in Utah to get started on my hands-on learning.  I leave for my first trip there on March 3rd and will go again twice more later this year.  Each stay will be 3 weeks and I am nervous as hell!

I also just go some promissing news for more training possibility in my future as well, hopeful it all plays out and I am very excited about what is to come for me.  I WILL serve in my very underserved area, I WILL!!!!

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#22 of 87 Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 AM

I haven't posted on here in a long time either, so I'll give a quick update.... I'm way behind on my AAMI studies from moving, being sick from the pregnancy, and then just being lazy. It's a good thing Carla is so understanding and I have earned extensions (well, not the lazy part). Anyhow, I have a local study group that helps keep each other accountable and we're going to start working on skills. I'm due in June with our 4th child and waiting to hear if we'll be moving before that for hubby's new job possibility. I am attending the Advanced Midwifery Skills Lab in May and excited.

Lisa~I'm so excited for you and you will have great opportunities presented. Are you going to attend the Adv. MSL since you'll already be gone from your kids in March?

Grace: Student Midwife Christ Follower, : to 3 busy babes and to #4
#23 of 87 Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Has anyone read Myles Textbook for Midwives?  Or is anyone planning to read it?  I know it's on NARM's primary reference list, but I don't know how much more it could offer up beyond Varney's and HM I & II.  Looking for input...

#24 of 87 Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 AM

Another lurker here, hoping to get to go to midwifery school one day. I've also been doing Gloria Lemay's classes on Thursday nights.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#25 of 87 Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Sunglasses View Post

Has anyone read Myles Textbook for Midwives?  Or is anyone planning to read it?  I know it's on NARM's primary reference list, but I don't know how much more it could offer up beyond Varney's and HM I & II.  Looking for input...

i would ask over at studentmidwife.net but from what I understand its a very good book, myle's and maye's are pretty much the same books though some people prefer one layout over another.

#26 of 87 Old 01-26-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Sunglasses View Post

I'm reading it now.  It's very "medical", but it's good.  I'm going to go back through and read it side by side with Varney's.  Good times!

#27 of 87 Old 01-26-2011, 11:19 PM

^^^  Actually, I really really like Myles, even though it is more medical because it is really simple to read and understand and less wordy compared to Varneys.  It's the book that I use most for reference combined with HM 1&2.

So I guess I'll reintroduce myself like everyone else has!

I'm now in my 3rd year of AAMI and still liking the education. I've slowed down studying a lot because my 3.5 yr old twins refuse to nap and keep me busy all day.  By the time they're in bed at night I'm too tired to study!  BUT in August, they'll start all-day preK4 and I have high hopes of studying 4 or 5 hours a day to get done!

I'm doing the PEP process for NARM, and in January (my 3rd time apprenticing in Indonesia) I finished all of the clinical skills, so now I just need to redo the skills with a different CPM, though that may be hard because there are no CPMs where I live in Asia.  I'll go back for all of June and July to finish my apprenticeship and finish my continuity of care births.  After that, I'll apply for sitting for the NARM, and I think I want to do that at the fall 2012 MANA conference so I can get a conference out of my trip to the USA for the exam anyway :)

Birthwise at home, I'm just doing CBE classes and an occasionally a doula birth for a mom in need.  I'll pick up on births again in the fall when I have all 4 kids in school.

I haven't visited MDC in a while but I always come first to Birth Professionals and go straight to the student midwives thread because this is what helps keep me motivated, so post more often ladies!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#28 of 87 Old 01-27-2011, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

4-5 hrs to study each day in silence sounds dreamy!  I'm still hitting the books during naptime and at night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post

I'm now in my 3rd year of AAMI and still liking the education. I've slowed down studying a lot because my 3.5 yr old twins refuse to nap and keep me busy all day.  By the time they're in bed at night I'm too tired to study!  BUT in August, they'll start all-day preK4 and I have high hopes of studying 4 or 5 hours a day to get done!

#29 of 87 Old 02-04-2011, 08:52 AM

Hello everyone! I am a nurse-midwifery student at Frontier. smile.gif

#30 of 87 Old 02-04-2011, 07:49 PM

Welcome!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore_fan View Post

Hello everyone! I am a nurse-midwifery student at Frontier. smile.gif

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .

Tags
Midwifery Students

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page