Any other student midwives doing PEP? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-15-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have just started the PEP process. I am having an impossible time finding a preceptor, so I have been keeping busy with studying the books. I am pregnant with my 4th little monkey so I cannot take advantage of the high volume birth center programs, at least not for a few more years. Just wanting some advice/ opinions on how others got started. Especially those of you preceptor problems!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-18-2011, 08:19 AM

Another PEP person here!  I have been reading off the NARM reference list (and some others) since DS2 was born 19 months ago.  I have myself on a somewhat loose reading schedule, and I plan to re-read Heart and Hands frequently in between some of the larger texts because it's such a great source of condensed information.  I am set to work with a preceptor for 3 months this summer while we are in another part of the state, but it will likely be a while after that before I hook up with another midwife for the long haul.  I would also like to try to spend some time at Maternidad La Luz for the added experience they can offer.  Where do you live?  I know it will be a long process (we will probably have another child in the middle of all of this, so add another 2 years...) but I'm happy with the pace I am keeping with self-study. 

Believing, doting, simplifying, caffeinating, baking, midwife in training, and mothering like a dirty hippie. tea6.gif

baby.gif #3 due in April!

#3 of 3 Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

I live in Virginia. Since posting, I have in enrolled on AAMI, just to give me a little more structure. Since it is not MEAC accredited, I will still have to do the PEP process to become a CPM. I still don't have a preceptor and don't forsee being able to get one in the near future. Because of that, I thought I needed a little more direction academically. It will still take me a million years to finish which, like you said, is fine with me. I am enjoying the slower pace and knowing that when my kids are older I will be able to do something that I am passionate about.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page