Nure-midwives and students? I'm looking to connect. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome.gif, misslolalady!

Frontier asks for 3 references: 2 professional supervisors and 1 professional peer. Is it possible to ask the supervisor at the birth center where you were a volunteer? I know that being a new nurse and having to ask for references is kind of tough. I was at my former job for 7 months before I had the courage to ask my supervisors to fill out the reference forms.

As far as midwifery study groups online - I was going to suggest that you "Like" Frontier's Facebook page and then join the discussion for Class 96, but I see that you have already done that (recognized your picture)! That is a great way to meet prospective students who are applying to the same class as you are. Let me know if you have any questions!

#32 of 58 Old 04-21-2011, 06:17 PM

I graduate w/ LPN next month and then start on my BSN right away. I'm hoping to go to Frontier after that and be done by 2017. 

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#33 of 58 Old 04-22-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks Eeyore fan! I didn't even think to ask the midwives I worked with.  :) I think I was so focued on tyring to get references from people I currently work with that it somehow slipped my mind! I technically have until August to ask for the references, so I would have been there for 7 months, so that's doable! I cannot wait to embark on this journey.  I keep telling myself each day is a day closer to my dream! I never thought I nursing school would end, but, here I am working as a RN!

bfinfant.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFcd.giffamilybed1.gif  and future Midwife mama to Eliot!
#34 of 58 Old 04-25-2011, 07:02 PM

Hi, I'm working on my B.A right now and I'm planning on becoming a midwife and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me in terms of taking time off between nursing school and midwifery school to work as an L&D nurse. My fear is that if I do that I might never go back to school and become a midwife once kids/life/$ become issues. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone :)

Amber ******

Birth Doula, Placenta Encapsulator, & Birth Photographer in Southeast Michigan

http://gentlebirthwithamber.sharepoint.com

#35 of 58 Old 04-26-2011, 05:22 AM

I am a doula and childbirth educator. I have a 2 year old, and that + being new + being halfway around the world right now means I've taken a bit of a break from actually DOING birth work. Before I came here(I'm in Pakistan right now) I kept WANTING to advertise, etc. only to keep telling myself, "no, you're leaving any month, you really SHOULDN'T be looking for clients if you don't know when you're due yet." *sigh*

ANYWAY, so I am also currently going back to school after putting it off when DS was born(and not having known WHY I was even in school back then). I've decided to go back for nursing, and I've been doing some pre-req online classes through my community college while I'm over here at the in-laws. DH is still a (pre-bachelor's) student too, and he's still back in the states, he'll be coming here a bit after his semester finishes. My final goal will be to finish my masters and become a CNM. I would work in a hospital if I had to for some reason to support our family, but I MUCH prefer to do home births. It was a struggle for me to decide which path I wanted to take (CNM, CPM, DEM?) But since I can use financial aid, can space out courses in the beginning few years, learn best in a structured environment, and wish to move to a different state that does not currently license CPMs or DEMs, I decided that becoming a CNM was the best route. 

I hope to open a birth center too, and actually, it was DH's idea, so maybe he will be the one to open a birth center, LOL. Actually, right now, we have 2 awesome birth centers within an hour from our house(in opposite directions) so it's not for lack of good birth centers, but just because it's something we(DH and I) would be interested in doing. We also don't really know WHERE we will end up yet. 

Did I mention that we have one kid, but no desire to stop any time soon? I'm estimating the next DC will be here around april or may of next year. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hram View Post

I have been thinking of the required imminizations for school. What do others think of it? We dont vax at all in our family, and I dont want to especially since I will be nursing a little one while in school. I was vax'd as a child and had a few boosters as an adult. Has anyone thought of getting an exemption, or getting the titer test?

We don't vax either. I am 100% comfortable with saying that it is for religious reasons(and can say it without lying), but a big reason for not vaxing for us is the side effects. The only vaxes that DS has gotten were bully vaxes. DH is probalby up to date in way more vaxes than you would need for school, lol, because he's currently going through the US immigration system. I got all of the CDC recommended vaxes when I was in grade school.

but if it came down to it, I would do just about everything I could to avoid the vax, avoid it at all costs while I am pregnant(not sure how I feel about getting one while nursing, I would have research how much it can affect the baby), and get it later if waivers/titers didn't work. I would also take all of the precautions I can think of, including using birth control for some while after getting the vax. 

Our community college doesn't require vaxes for anything shy of nursing school, and the programs that I'm looking at for nursing school or midwifery school have requirements that are hard to figure out(I can't figure out on my own if they allow waivers, and for some schools, it was hard to figure out which vaxes they actually require) I'm not going to ask anyone about it until I have to be thinking about this, and I don't anticipate finishing pre-reqs to even apply to the nursing programs within the next year, so I'm waiting on this. It's even more difficult to find out what the hospitals around here require, but I'll ask around once I get to that point. A site I'm thinking about is allnurses.com to help me figure out the different requirements before I need to choose which hospital I work at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbirthdoula View Post

Hi, I'm working on my B.A right now and I'm planning on becoming a midwife and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me in terms of taking time off between nursing school and midwifery school to work as an L&D nurse. My fear is that if I do that I might never go back to school and become a midwife once kids/life/$ become issues. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone :)

I kinda have this issue too. I mean, I HAVE family close by, but nobody that I feel comfortable really leaving my kid with for extended periods of time. For now, we're doing well with financial aid to pay for school. DH's family will probably come live with us in the next couple of years, but I'll probably be putting the kids in daycare of some sort while I go to school. (and we know of at least 2 family friends that run affordable daycares from their homes)

Although I'm not there yet, I wouldn't suggest taking time off, since it can be WAY HARD to go back. But, I do have 2 friends who are going back for their masters right now, after, what, 10 years? one will be having her fifth child later this year, and the other has 2 kids. They're both doing education, so I'm sure it's different than midwifery school, but that's my opinion on it. I might take off a couple of semesters if I have a newborn, but I want to finish as soon as I can so I don't end up putting school off for forever(and some of the reasoning for that is to get the vaxes to last their longest--I don't want get any more vaxes than I have to. BUT, I also plan on homeschooling and spending all of the energy that I can on my kids. That said, I DO think I can do it, though family and community support will probably play a big part. 

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#36 of 58 Old 05-27-2011, 06:14 PM

I passed the nuurse-midwifery board exam today!! My almost 30 yr. journey is OVER At LAST! I am one of North Carolina's newly passed CNM and, hoping to be  homebirth CNM at that, after having been direct-entry since 1985 in other states, legal & alegal.

I have lots of study material available for sale to whomever, & I mean LOTS.

Blessings to all,

Karen Benfield, CNM and owner of BirthTender

#37 of 58 Old 05-27-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirthTender View Post

I passed the nuurse-midwifery board exam today!! My almost 30 yr. journey is OVER At LAST! I am North Carolina's newest CNM and a homebirth CNM at that, after having been direct-emtry since 1985.

I have lots of study material available for sale to whomever, & I mean LOTS.

Blessings to all,

Congratulations, Karen!! jumpers.gif

#38 of 58 Old 05-27-2011, 07:15 PM

Thank you!! I am still crying tears of JOY. I wil, finally, able to offer legal homebirth CNM choices to the women and families in this area, (well, after getting a NC license & also considering other neighboring states, eventually) which means that all of the Charlotte area is in my coverage, too.

Eeyore_fan likes this.
#39 of 58 Old 05-29-2011, 04:09 PM

CONGRATS!!!!

Is it difficult for CNMs to do homebirth in your area? That's all I want to do and I don't foresee finding physician back up. Anyhow, I may be interested in some of your educational materials you have too! Lastly, what school did you attend? Congratulations once again on your amazing achievement!

bfinfant.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFcd.giffamilybed1.gif  and future Midwife mama to Eliot!
#40 of 58 Old 05-29-2011, 07:10 PM

I do not find it difficult at all for CNMs to have homebirth practices in my state. I graduated in May 09 from the SUNY @ StonyBrook, NY, after beginning the program in Aug. 2003.

I highly recommend them, and the Director is so very knowledgable and helpful in every way. Through out my setbacks, here is a sampling of setbacks and tribulations:  my ex filed for a divorce when I was only 8 weeks into the first semester,  then 5 days before beginning of my 2nd semester my clinical site closed to all medical and advanced practice students, (and that was here local to my home in NC),   and then at Director's encouragement, I took a few years break to work, save money and re-cup. I started back into my 3rd semester of studies and clinicals in Aug. 08, and that site, part of the Florida Hospital system had just changed affiliations and had just chosen to not renew their contract with Stonybrook, so The Director and staff at Stonybrook, quickly found another site for me in a matter of days. Nichole Rouhanna is the director and I felt her rooting for me the whole way over those years. I had earned my ADN from the SUNY educational system way back in 1985. I have always found the SUNY system to be very accomodating to older students and so supportive.

I ended up having to move out of town to the Raleigh area, hoping to get on the waiting list for a clinical site that Stunybrook was working on, But there was a 3 year  long waiting list, and I did not have the time to wait as I had to graduate by May 09, so I had to move out of state to FL where SUNY had several sites available. That was the most difficult decision that I've ever made, as it meant giving full primary custody to my ex for my/our child who was 15 yrs. at that time, and rent out my home (so I could keep paying the mortgage) while I was away. I still had long weekends and long weeks with my daughter during those years.

I was able to get moved back into my lovely home on my ancestral family farm last June and I am still Praising God every day for paving the path for me to complete my MSN nurse-midwifery corse, and get back HOME! I still walk through my home every night, and Say, "I made it"!

PM me for the materials that I have.

#41 of 58 Old 05-31-2011, 10:31 AM

Hi everyone. I'm a nurse-midwife. I had 4 homebirths myself and love and appreciate my midwives who cared for me in my pregnancies (all happened to be CNM's). For a variety of reasons--mostly kid/lifestyle related and financial, I practice in a hospital. I have regular hours and make a decent living and am able to provide compassionate, midwifery care to my patients. Sometimes I feel like I'm not a 'real' midwife because I work in a pretty medical environment, but I remind myself that there is a season for everything. Now, while my kids are so small, it is more important for me to have regular hours and be home to put them to bed most nights and not miss their birthday parties etc. I dream of having a different kind of practice someday, when my kiddos are older.

I did my nursing and midwifery schooling at the University of PA and there were lots of out-of-hospital clinical sites.  I think everyone in my class did at least one clinical rotation in an out-of hospital site. 

#42 of 58 Old 06-04-2011, 04:25 PM

jgale, women who need to or want to deliver in a hospital deserve midwifery care just as much as women who deliver at home. YOu are a real midwife!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgale View Post

Hi everyone. I'm a nurse-midwife. I had 4 homebirths myself and love and appreciate my midwives who cared for me in my pregnancies (all happened to be CNM's). For a variety of reasons--mostly kid/lifestyle related and financial, I practice in a hospital. I have regular hours and make a decent living and am able to provide compassionate, midwifery care to my patients. Sometimes I feel like I'm not a 'real' midwife because I work in a pretty medical environment, but I remind myself that there is a season for everything. Now, while my kids are so small, it is more important for me to have regular hours and be home to put them to bed most nights and not miss their birthday parties etc. I dream of having a different kind of practice someday, when my kiddos are older.

I did my nursing and midwifery schooling at the University of PA and there were lots of out-of-hospital clinical sites.  I think everyone in my class did at least one clinical rotation in an out-of hospital site. 

Student Nurse Midwife and semi crunchy mom to 4 "C" named kids! 10yr old DS, 8 yr old DD, 6yr old DD, and 3 yr old DS. Praying that C #5 is in the future for me!
#43 of 58 Old 06-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Thanksluxlove.gif

#44 of 58 Old 06-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Greetings,

I am so grateful I found this thread. I am a single mom of two joyous children. Before journeying into motherhood I was a bartender and waitress. Over the past three years I have been completing school work to get into nursing school and become a nurses assistant. I have two ADN programs that start in September to choose between. I would like to take an online Doula workshop over the summer but can not afford one unless I can come across a scholarship.

After spending two years to get my RN I plan on working and taking and online BSN program through State University for a year, or two depending on if I work fulltime or school full time. Since I have a family to support it will probably take me two! Then I hope to work as a travel nurse while completing my MSN through Frontier.

I am looking forward to the wisdom and knowledge those of you with experience can share as I delve deeper into my education.

Be well,

be good family...

#45 of 58 Old 06-09-2011, 10:11 AM

mamayogibear-- Frontier has an ADN-MSN bridge program. After you finish your ADN, you can apply to their program. You have to have 1 year of experience before starting , but not before applying. It will be faster than getting a BSN, then MSN. Their bridge program (which I am doing now) involves one year of classes to "bridge" the fact that you didn't come into it with a BSN already. Its challenging, but do-able.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

Greetings,

I am so grateful I found this thread. I am a single mom of two joyous children. Before journeying into motherhood I was a bartender and waitress. Over the past three years I have been completing school work to get into nursing school and become a nurses assistant. I have two ADN programs that start in September to choose between. I would like to take an online Doula workshop over the summer but can not afford one unless I can come across a scholarship.

After spending two years to get my RN I plan on working and taking and online BSN program through State University for a year, or two depending on if I work fulltime or school full time. Since I have a family to support it will probably take me two! Then I hope to work as a travel nurse while completing my MSN through Frontier.

I am looking forward to the wisdom and knowledge those of you with experience can share as I delve deeper into my education.

Be well,

happyhippimama likes this.

Student Nurse Midwife and semi crunchy mom to 4 "C" named kids! 10yr old DS, 8 yr old DD, 6yr old DD, and 3 yr old DS. Praying that C #5 is in the future for me!
#46 of 58 Old 06-13-2011, 12:22 PM

hi katie

I'm in northern calif also, an RN in L& D.  Have you moved yet?  I'm also looking at midwife training.  roffs

#47 of 58 Old 07-14-2011, 06:28 PM

I'd love to join in.  Had intended on pursuing midwifery as a CPM, but have since decided a CNM after much thought and prayer and soul searching....

http://midwifeology.blogspot.com/

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#48 of 58 Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 PM

Just wanted to say that I just put in my application for Frontier!!! I REALLY hope I get in! It's my dream! smile.gif

#49 of 58 Old 07-20-2011, 03:10 PM

Wanted to say Congrats to Missolollady & Cinderella on your decisions. It was all quite an experience with many downs & ups. So happy it is over with now. Deciding to go on was a decision with so many angles to consider and my family to consider.  All of My Prayers to you, two.

Karen Benfield, CNM & Owner of BirthTender Midwifery, a soon-coming homebirth, well woman/gy, family planning practice covering roughly a 2 hour radius of Hickory, NC

#50 of 58 Old 07-20-2011, 07:07 PM

Thank you so much Karen.  I feel in my heart this is the best decision for me.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

#51 of 58 Old 07-20-2011, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Are there any mamas here that are single moms and held a part time job while in RN school? I think I will have to work part time at a nursing home while I go to school so that I can afford to live. However I want to make sure I have enough time to spend time with my kids. Should I just max out on student loans and only focus on school or is working, parenting and school all possible? Another thing I am considering is taking a Doula workshop and doing that very part time but I'm not sure if that would be enough income to forgo getting a loan.

be good family...

#52 of 58 Old 07-21-2011, 07:40 AM

I'm not single, but I do work as well as go to school full time and I have two children.  My husband works long shifts all of the time (12 hour days) so the kids are my full responsibility.  I'm lucky if he changes a diaper a week because he's so busy.  I am a doula and take 3 clients per month and I also am a pampered chef consultant.  It's hard, and you have to find a balance, but it is possible.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

#53 of 58 Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi, everyone! I have a question: Does anyone know which states allow CNMs to attend homebirths? I am thinking of going the CNM route but I want to have a small practice and do mostly homebirths, or birthing center (depending on where I live).

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#54 of 58 Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

Hi, everyone! I have a question: Does anyone know which states allow CNMs to attend homebirths? I am thinking of going the CNM route but I want to have a small practice and do mostly homebirths, or birthing center (depending on where I live).

I know CO and NM do. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#55 of 58 Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM

I don't know for sure, I want to do the same. I do know that a midwife that I saw during my pregnancy does homebirths and is a  CNM in CA.

#56 of 58 Old 07-26-2011, 12:09 PM

Kittywitty, 

The ACNM office or their website, of course, which is midwife.org  should be able to inform you of any states where a CNM cannot have a homebirth practice, if there are any. I do recall a CNM out in Nevada telling me back this past spring that she cannot do homebirths in Nevada. The reason/s why, I do not know, it was a brief conversation.

Karen Benfield, CNM & Owner of BirthTender Midwifery, a Homebirth,w ell woman/gyn, family planning practice covering a 2 hour radius of Hickory, NC

#57 of 58 Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thank you. I don't know why I didn't think to look there. I want to move from here when I graduate-or before! And just wanted to keep a lookout for places that are more accommodating/hb-friendly for dh's job search. smile.gif

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#58 of 58 Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 PM

So glad to have found this thread. I graduate in january from RN school. I plan to look into either frontier or shanendoah for CNM. I am so excited to be headed towards my dream.joy.gif

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)

Tags
Midwifery Students , Nurse Midwife

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page