Nure-midwives and students? I'm looking to connect. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a recently divorced mother of 4 who had 3 of mine at home with a CPM. I now have to go back to school to have a future for myself and my children (who have a wonderful, supportive father too, so they want for nothing. Don't worry. Hehe)

Anyway, I am working toward getting into nursing school with the aim of completing the nurse-midwife post-grad program at Baylor in Dallas eventually. I know that a lot of nursing philosophies will not line up with my beliefs about birthing, but I believe I could reach a wider range of women and be more effective with the nursing degree under my belt. Statistically, three times more women chose nurse-midwife births in clinics and hospitals in the state of Texas than chose home births with CPMs or lay-midwives. All that is to say, I am pretty well convinced that the path I am taking is the correct one for me.
I would like to make contact with other nurse-midwives with a more hands-off birthing philosophy as well as other women (particularly single moms like me) who are also working toward the same goal. I need as much support as I can get!!!

Best to you all,

Lindsay 

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 03:50 PM

I just wanted to say Im kind of considering going down the path you are. I had always planned on becoming a CPM becuase it lines up with my philosophy of birth and I had a wonderful birth with a cpm. And CPM's are legal in my state, so no worry there. But like you said, CNM's just reach more women. And thats what I want, to reach women not just practice how I want and in a way that makes me happy.

I know there is a student nurse midwife blog, I think it comes up when you google holistic nurse midwife or something similar. I bet you could fine some pretty good blogs if you looked around.

So good luck!

Old 02-05-2011, 12:07 PM

HI, Lila, aka Lindsay,

I went on to complete the nurse-midwifery program through SUNY @ Stonybrook several yrs. ago after being a direct-entry midwife and nurse since 1985 for many of the same reasons that you are considering the nurse-midwifery path. I also went through a divorce, and the only truly legal homebirth attendants in my state, North Carolina, are nurse-midwives. Fell free to contact me if you want to discuss anything.

my email is;  [email protected]

Old 02-05-2011, 12:10 PM

P.S. Lindsay,

I did end up remarrying a couple years ago, and now my children are also grown and gone, but it wasn't always that way. I'm praying for many supportive hands and hearts to you, as you certainly have mine.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:58 AM

Hey, I don't have any kiddos yet so no input there but I'm currently in a 2 year ADN program and the plan is to graduate in May 2012 as an RN, apply for the bridge program at Frontier and then the nurse midwifery program there immediately after. With any luck, I'll be a CNM by the end of 2015.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

Old 02-06-2011, 12:20 PM

Hey everyone, I'm Eeyore_fan. I am a CNM student (not a single mom, though) in my first term of school. After nursing school, I worked as an RN for a little less than a year and have been looking for a job since June. I do have some birth doula training but am not certified.

Feel free to PM me anytime. smile.gif

Old 02-10-2011, 05:23 AM

I am also a nurse-midwifery student.  Do people want to introduce themselves?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:45 PM

I am a future Nurse-Midwife student. After I get my bachelors (not in nursing), I am hopefully going to attend Yale's CNM school, which has an accelerated RN program for graduates entering without being a nurse. Altogether the program is 3 years, with 3 semesters going towards the RN, then 2 regular years for the CNM. I can't wait! This year I am working on becoming a doula and Lamaze educator to quench my thirst for childbirth care.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I am not currently a CNM or a CNM student. I am a CPM and currently considering CNM schooling options. I don't know what the future holds, but I am staying open to the idea of attending one of the programs that has an option for those who have a degree in another area of study. It will be a minimum of 3 years before I can seriously look because my husband needs to finish his degree first. I would just love to hear more from others as to what programs they are in and what they love (and don't love) about them.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:28 PM

Hi, my name is Kaylie, and I'll start my pre-reqs in April for the AA RN program at a local college, after I get my AA, then I'll do the RN to BSN program at University of Washington Bothell campus (I live in the Seattle area), and then do the Master's Nurse-Midwife program at UW Medical College in Seattle. Whew!

I was originally planning on going the CPM route at Seattle Midwifery School/Bastyr, but my husband is now open to taking a job in another state and since lay midwifes aren't legal in every state, I need to be able to peruse my passion no matter which state we are in. The reason we're open to moving is because Microsoft (we both work there for now - just a job for me, but a dream career for my DH) is changing the health insurance plan in 2013 from 'never pay a penny for any health care, natural path included' to having to pay a co-pay and meet a deductible. He almost took a job in Reno last year, but the benefits didn't come close Microsoft's and we didn't know that they were going to change it. We seriously considering moving again.

If we do stay here, I can work as a homebirth and out of hospital birthcenter midwife as a CNM, which would be the best case scenario for me.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 02-14-2011, 04:40 AM

Hi all, I am a student nurse-midwife at a three-year program. The first year consisted of nursing studies and the last two are dedicated to midwifery.  My favorite part about school are the clinicals obviously.  I love working with women and I've had a chance to learn from a variety of preceptors.

I plan on working for a community health center as soon as I graduate because I'd like to work with underserved populations.  At some point I'd love to also do birth center/homebirth work but that will come.

I think my biggest learning goal for this year is how to guard and facilitate physiologic birth.  

Looking forward to chatting more with you ladies!

Old 02-14-2011, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi!  I'm Katie, I'm a CNM.  In May '10 I graduated from a 3 year accelerated program for people w/non-nursing BAs and unfortunately had to move to a pretty strongly anti-CNM state with not much opportunities for a new grad, but I have been working as an L&D RN.  I'm pregnant with my first :)  Obviously I went through school not as a parent, but I had more than one classmate that did it.  It can be done and midwifery students are known for strongly supporting each other!

In a few months I'm moving to northern Cali, where midwifery job openings absolutely abound.  Very exciting!  Annnnnddd... my philosophy is quite hands-off and easy on the interventions, so much so that I'm hoping/planning for a home birth.  Glad to see you all!

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 AM

Hi!  I am hoping to become a midwife one day.    Right now I'm an L&D RN so I think CNM will be the most logical route for me to take.  But I haven't ruled out CPM b/c I do feel as though homebirths will be what I want to do.   I have alot of the core classes done for CNM school bc I have my Master's in Nursing Education (ie Pharm, Patho, etc)   But I have four month old twins and a 3 year old so I know right now my work is my babies.   We'd also like one more, so I think after that baby turns 1-2 I will apply to school.   If I go the CNM route, I hope to get into Frontier.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:12 PM

Just stopping in to see how all the CNM/future CNM students are doing:)

I wonder if anyone would like to chime in on my situation.....I totally have that last trimester pregnant brain and cant make a decision to save my life so I would love some insight!! Please, tell me what to do:) Keep in mind, Im "due" in 4 weeks with baby #3. My oldest will be starting 2nd grade, and my youngest now will be starting some kind of pre-k (per her request...no insistance!) in the fall. So in school time would give me some time for school, online or on campus.

I had always planned on becoming a CPM. They are legal and licensed in my state, and the CPM philosophy is completely in line with my views. I had a beautiful homebirth with a CPM and am planning another with this one. But, the catch is there is only one CPM within hours of where we will live. So basically its up to her to decide if I get an apprenticeship. She has already made comments like "well you have young kids so its better if you wait" Making me feel like she wont accept me becuase of my children. She also has a student working with her so her availability is always unknown. It could be years before she would even accept a new apprentice. So I have been thinking of starting a program to be come a CNM for a while. I want to be able to travel to a different state if I want, my dh and I plan to travel internationally once our kids are older and I would also liek to have the opportunity to be the "bread winner" in the family so my dh can be at home for a while if he chooses. So I want to make sure I have credentials that are accepted.

I have decided that Frontier is my first choice for a CNM program, plus I want to do the WHNP program once Im done with the CNM. I am now trying to decide if I want to do the bridge program or go ahead and get my BSN. I want to do the ADN then bridge proram but my dh wants me to do the BSN. The time frame is the same, but I think the cost woudl be more with the BSN.

His thinking is a BSN would give me more opportunity for a job if I wasnt able to start a CNM program. But my thinking is, a MSN would trump a BSN and its what I want to do. I have no interest at all in being a nurse, and I wont stop until I have reached my goal. I see the skills they are taught as being very valuable, but I cant have a job in which I dont have a passion for and i dont belive in. (thinking about giving babies loads of vax or dispensing loads of meds jsut because thats how things are done).....What are other's feelings on ADN and the Bridge program vs BSN and going straight to the MSN for the CNM?

Now here is where the crazy pregnant brain comes in. If I do the ADN I was thinking of starting one or two classes in June. Is it totally crazy to try and do two online classes for pre-rec's with a 2 month old? 

Old 03-09-2011, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

hram,

Not currently studying anything but last year I was applying to grad programs and trying to seriously figure out my path so I did a lot of research and I'll throw in my 2 cents. I'm an ADN RN/IBCLC, and would like my MSN so I was figuring out the whole bridge/BSN/MSN thing. While a MSN does trump a BSN, some RNs with MSNs actually end up in positions where they choose to work under their BSN instead of MSN. If you had an ADN instead of a BSN then you could work under that but BSNs do get more jobs then ADNs. The reasons for working under a lesser degree are varied, I've known CNMs who worked as a staff RN part time to get benefits that were unavailable to them as a CNM, and when you are working as a floor RN, you can't exactly use your CNM in that environment. Things like needing to work temporary, decreased workload during a hard time, difficult time finding a job as a CNM, etc.. would all be reasons to work under just an RN instead a CNM. Now, lots of CNM will never work under anything but their CNM, but if I had a choice between a BSN or ADN starting out, I would personally choose the BSN. I didn't have a choice, a ADN is the only option in my area.

And if I'm remembering correctly, I think Frontier is phasing out their WHNP program in 2013.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 PM

I must have misunderstood, I thought they were phasing out the bridge program for the WHNP. Thanks for bringing it up, Ill check on it again.

But thats pretty much what dh said, he feels the same way. I just dont want to make the wrong decision.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Maybe it just is the bridge, headscratch.gif I've got pg brain as well so who knows! 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:11 AM

hram, i'm in the same boat as you are--I'll be giving birth to my 2nd this Summer and planning to start taking a Chemistry class for my RN pre-reqs. at a local community college in the Fall. It feels a little crazy to me, but I know so many moms who go back to full time work with such tiny ones, and two mornings of class a week (plus the all night studying I can do while I'm all night nursing!) with my kids being with a loving babysitter doesn't seem like a horrible situation. I'll just have to learn to pump this time around! 

My hope is to take this pre-req. in the Fall, apply to RN program in the Winter/Spring, and begin it the next Fall 2012. I may also apply to Yale's MSN next winter, though that full time program (and commute) does seem a little more intimidating with two littles. If I do the RN first I'll apply to both Yale and Frontier, but leaning toward Frontier because the distance learning may serve us best in case we move to another state in the next 3-4 years, which is a possibility. 

I am going the CNM route for a lot of the same reasons mentioned--in the states I'm most likely to be working in (where I live now in CT and my hometown in FL) most women choose CNM and hospital/birth center births as opposed to home. Where I'm from in Florida there are very few CNMs and a plethora of male OBs who seem to run the roost and I would love to go in and change that with a holistic and woman-centered practice. I am the biggest supporter of homebirth but I know that women who choose to birth in a hospital (as I did with my first) need support and humanized care just as much as those who choose alternative settings. My hope one day is to open a free-standing birth center. 

Anyway, great to see other mamas who are on this path, and I'm looking forward to taking the next steps together! 

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Thats one of the reasons Im thinking the ADN plus the Bridge program with Frontier. I can take prerec's online and if not then they campus is 15-20 min away. My older ones will be in school, and my little one can be with a family member or trusted babysitter for jsut a few hours. Plus she will be around 6 months anyway by then, thats not that small to be away for a few hours a few days a week. But the first two semesters will be like that. She will be a year and a half before full time on campus and clinicals start.  The BSN program will require me to drive over an hour (without traffic) one way . Then Frontier is online for the book work. Of course Ill be doing clinicals too, but to be able to be home as much as possible will be a great advantage.

I think a HUGE part of my worry is the guilt. I have been a sahm for seven years! I purposely choose to not work or go to school becuase I felt it was best for my kids. Now I dont want to stay home, I want to start school and get my career going. I feel like I should feel the same way with this baby, stay at home, be there with her 24/7. But DH will be home more, he was in the Navy and could be gone for weeks or months at a time. I couldnt depend on having anyone else help me with the kids, and I wasnt going to put them in daycare; it just isnt right for us. So maybe I just need to get used to the idea of having help from him and from family memebers for once in a decade:)

I used to live in CT! My second daughter was born there:) I really hope they get all the legal stuff under control there. They are giving those midwives such a hard time. I know having any license doenst mean you will never have any troubles, but it woudl be nice to not be seen as a criminal or as practicing unsafe just because of your credentials or lack there of.

I keep trying to gather friends and other student midwives to join togehter and kind of make a new age Farm:) Even though The Farm is just a few hours away, I would love to create a place where women can come and get great care and feel liek they are really safe, supported and empowered. One BC close to me is the most horrific place I have ever been to. its a rule they have to say "dead baby" X amount of times during each prenatal. The other wont allow VBAC......not much of a choice for women to get good care.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootinBrooklyn View Post
 I am the biggest supporter of homebirth but I know that women who choose to birth in a hospital (as I did with my first) need support and humanized care just as much as those who choose alternative settings. My hope one day is to open a free-standing birth center. 

Exactly why I'm choosing the CNM route! I also am interested in medical science and research, so I think I would appreciated the more scientific aspect of the CNM program. I'm going to go to school local vs. online. I'm dyslexic and online class are rough for me.

"its a rule they have to say "dead baby" X amount of times during each prenatal." hram

That's BIZARRE! Any idea why?

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 03-12-2011, 07:06 PM

Wow! I'm so happy to see so many nurse-midwifery students! I'm currently working on my pre-reqs for the ASN program at my local community college. Once I've finished the program there I plan to apply to the bridge program at Frontier.

Like many others have mentioned, homebirth is my heart, but I also want the opportunity to serve a more diverse group of women. I'm also a single mama of two! I had no idea there were so many of us out there, it's very heartening! smile.gif

Old 03-18-2011, 12:23 AM

Hi! My name is Erika! I'm on the path to becoming a CNM. I'm currently pursuing a bachelor's in a non-nurse field with the hopes of getting my Master's as a CNM in a similar program as Katie8681. I have some questions about this path and would love it if someone would be willing to PM me and talk about it! I'm currently working as a birth doula and have attended 20 births! I'm trying to get as much experience as I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie8681 View Post

Hi!  I'm Katie, I'm a CNM.  In May '10 I graduated from a 3 year accelerated program for people w/non-nursing BAs and unfortunately had to move to a pretty strongly anti-CNM state with not much opportunities for a new grad, but I have been working as an L&D RN.  I'm pregnant with my first :)  Obviously I went through school not as a parent, but I had more than one classmate that did it.  It can be done and midwifery students are known for strongly supporting each other!

In a few months I'm moving to northern Cali, where midwifery job openings absolutely abound.  Very exciting!  Annnnnddd... my philosophy is quite hands-off and easy on the interventions, so much so that I'm hoping/planning for a home birth.  Glad to see you all!

Old 03-18-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

Exactly why I'm choosing the CNM route! I also am interested in medical science and research, so I think I would appreciated the more scientific aspect of the CNM program. I'm going to go to school local vs. online. I'm dyslexic and online class are rough for me.

"its a rule they have to say "dead baby" X amount of times during each prenatal." hram

That's BIZARRE! Any idea why?

They have a reputation of not being supportive of what women want but of bullying them into doing every single rule, protocal and regulation. The supervising midwife told me in the 30+ years she has worked, I was the first to decline anything she said to do! And it was gbs test at 13 weeks!!

I have been thinking of the required imminizations for school. What do others think of it? We dont vax at all in our family, and I dont want to especially since I will be nursing a little one while in school. I was vax'd as a child and had a few boosters as an adult. Has anyone thought of getting an exemption, or getting the titer test?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:32 AM

Hi,

I am just taking my first prereq for nursing school (microbiology and so far I am rocking it, though chemistry is up next and that terrifies me!).  I already have a bachelors and masters degrees, in non-medical fields and confess I haven't really worked out what exactly my program will be though I hope to do the local RN program to me, which just happens to be a very highly respected competitive program, and then distance programs through Frontier.  I would love to do both CNM and CRNP but doubt I will have time and money for both.  I need to get on with supporting my family more than I can do just birth assisting and teaching CBE and lactation classes.  My husband seems to have hit the wall on his own career.  I am often sad that my youngest gets so much less of my time than the older kids did, but I take comfort in the fact that I have a wonderful sitter, and a nearby fantastic grandma and the older sibs are very nurturing of her as well.  I hope she, and all of my kids, will be proud of me and benefit from what I can achieve by getting there in hopefully about five years, six tops. 

Old 03-24-2011, 12:40 AM

I'm starting nursing school (BSN) in the fall. I'm going to an amazing local program where you do your pre-reqs and gen-ed at a small women's college, and then if you have a 3.0 or higher and pass TEAS then you are gaurunteed admission to the 2nd two years nursing program at another school which specializes in nursing and physicians assisting.  I'm really excited, I know it is going to be a ton of work.

My eventual plan is to then become a CNM. I originally planned on becoming a CPM, it was the path that really drew me, and I would like to do homebirths eventually, however I've come to realize that as a family, we need me to have the back-up of the RN, and the increased options, both in terms of work (hospital, birthcenter and homebirth posibilities) and in terms of what states we can live in.  I'm not quite sure what my timeline is looking like for the CNM, it depends on a lot of factors, such as DP's education (he wants to finish up his bachelors which he might not be able to do while I'm in school, in which case, he'll put me through school then I'll put him through school), when we have kids, where we are living etc.  I'm really leaning towards frontier, but it will depend on where we are living, and what our lives our like.  A lot of times I hope that midwifery school is about 5 years away, but I suspect it's probably more like 8 at this point, that I'll stay at home or work as a nurse for several years while our babies are little, then do the midwifery. Which would be ok, though perhaps not ideal. (well, I'd love to stay home. working in nursing rather than midwifery would be alright though not ideal)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Hi everyone! It's so exciting to see so many people here who are planning on becoming/already are in the process of becoming a CNM!

My name is Emily and I am just finishing up my undergraduate degree in Microbiology & Spanish. I'm taking next year off to work and save money (since I figure a car may be a good investment for clinicals with grad school!). I will be applying to school this fall--the grad entry level nursing program... and I really hope to attend Vanderbilt, but I know that's setting my hopes high! Like many other people here, I think it will help me reach a wider range of women. I'm excited and can't wait to start school... again... even though I'm just now finishing up my bachelors. Oh well! :)

Old 04-03-2011, 08:29 PM

Hello all!

I have been a nurse for almost six years, and I work in L&D. I am currently in Frontier's bridge program, just finished my second term of classes (all As!) and am starting my third term tomorrow. By going full time, I expect to graduate in October 2013. I am so excited!

Birth is awesome, and I am so excited to be a part of it! My biggest challenge is going to be finding a CNM preceptor in VA/NC for when its time for my clinicals. I'm not in an area where there are a lot of CNMs (okay, none in teh hospital here) so I expect that I will have to travel for my clinicals, but it is what it is. A short time of sacrifice for decades of a career I want!

Student Nurse Midwife and semi crunchy mom to 4 "C" named kids! 10yr old DS, 8 yr old DD, 6yr old DD, and 3 yr old DS. Praying that C #5 is in the future for me!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:23 PM

Hi everyone :)  Just wanting to join the mix.  I am currently in my second to last term of my BSN.  About to begin my practicum (hopefully in L & D), and then on to graduation and boards in July.  After that, I hope to find a job and get some experience so that I can apply for CNM school in the next year or so.  Kinda scared to start this whole long school process all over again.....but I look forward to being a midwife so it must be done!  I have been thinking about CPM training/school also and would love to do both, ultimately.

Good luck to all of you on this journey!

Old 04-17-2011, 02:43 PM

Can any of you recommend a great primary care textbook?  I'm looking for something like Varney did for midwifery but without all the babies :)

Believing, doting, simplifying, caffeinating, baking, midwife in training, and mothering like a dirty hippie. tea6.gif

baby.gif #3 due in April!

Old 04-21-2011, 12:01 AM

Hi all!

I am a RN too (work in the PICU).  I am a new grad, but I am already dead set on applying to Frontier, Class 96 . I recently moved and was very involved with the birthing community in my home town.  I was a volunteer doula at the birth center where I had my son.

Anyhow- regarding applying- I am so excited and overwhelmed! I want to work in a birth center or do home births. It would be even better if I could work with under served populations. There is one thing I've been wondering however, I am not sure how to go ahead and ask for references from my employer for the application since I'm brand new- any suggestions? Do they all have to be direct supervisors?  

If anyone would like to chat- please feel free to email me: [email protected]

Also- does anyone know of any online midwifery study groups? That would be such a wonderful resource!

bfinfant.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFcd.giffamilybed1.gif  and future Midwife mama to Eliot!

Tags
Midwifery Students , Nurse Midwife
User Tag List