Question for Idaho midwives - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-08-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm currently working on a ND bill that is up for consideration and, like with everything in life, we have those that aren't happy.  One particular woman has listed several things that she says come from Idaho law that would risk many women out.  Previous multiple birth, 42 weeks, gestation, vbac, etc.  We didn't present the bill, but our group did the rewrites for the amendments and one of the states we used as a guideline was Idaho.  I don't recall seeing a huge list of things a midwife has to risk out for, but maybe I've overlooked something that has happened since then?  Can you tell me where I can find what she's looking for or at least let me know that I can tell her she's mistaken?  Politely, of course.

#2 of 5 Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Here is the current statute page

Look at the rule making page listed...
She is correct, it sets up basic protocols valid until 2014,by then the council may have some other input...

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title54/T54CH55.htm

Have you checked out New Mexico's info it is pretty good and they can do vbacs
#3 of 5 Old 02-14-2011, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

You might want to contact the Idaho Midwifery Council

#4 of 5 Old 02-15-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

#5 of 5 Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I'm not a MW, but I'm in ID.  I just deleted my original post (based on hearsay) and found what you're looking for:

Quote:
e)  Establish scope and practice standards for antepartum, intrapartum, postpartum and newborn care that shall, at a minimum:
(i)   Prohibit a licensed midwife from providing care for a client with a history of disorders, diagnoses, conditions or symptoms that include:
1.  Placental abnormality;
2.  Multiple gestation;
3.  Noncephalic presentation at the onset of labor or rupture of membranes, whichever occurs first;
4.  Birth under thirty-seven (37) weeks and after forty-two (42) completed weeks' gestational age;
5.  A history of more than one (1) prior cesarean section, a cesarean section within eighteen (18) months of the current delivery or any cesarean section that was surgically closed with a classical or vertical uterine incision;
6.  Rh or other blood group or platelet sensitization, hematological or coagulation disorders;
7.  A body mass index of forty (40.0) or higher at the time of conception;
8.  Prior chemotherapy and/or radiation treatment for a malignancy;
9.  Previous pre-eclampsia resulting in premature delivery;
10. Cervical insufficiency; or
11. HIV positive status.

Honestly, I would fight a lot of this.  Denying midwifery care to the obese?  Really???

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page