Best State to be a CPM??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2011, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a student midwife in Ohio. I don't plan on living here forever, but I don't know where I want to go next. A big part of figuring out where my future home may be, is looking into laws and licenses for CPM for each state. I thought a good place to start would be to ask all of you what your opinion is on the subject smile.gif So what do you think, what is the best place to live and practice as a CPM?

(In order to not sway your responses, I am going to withhold my own opinions regarding licensure for now.)

Bethany ~ Mama of two wonderful boys ♥ ♥  Wife to one amazing man ♥

Massage Therapist ~ Doula ~ Student Midwife

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

IMHO, Oregon is the best state in the country to be a midwife. There it is legal to be a DEM, a CPM, a CNM, to have a license, to not have a license. Pretty much every variation of "midwife" is legal and respected there. We plan on settling there after we get out of the Air Force for that very reason. I was a student midwife for 2ish years (and want to eventually get my CPM) before being stationed here in Italy, so a state that is homebirth-and-midwife-friendly is very high on our criteria list for where we settle at. 

ETA: The two downsides of it being so midwife-friendly is that it is very hard to get an apprenticeship there, due to the demand, and the competition with other midwives for business is very stiff. 

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

User Tag List