Homeopathics in Labor Prep and During Labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-06-2011, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I have never tried homeopathics before, but since I'm rather afraid of protracted and extremely painful labor that might end up in either chemical induction/labor augmentation or even c-section, I decided to try to give them a shot.  I was prescribed Arnica Montana 9ch to start taking now (I'm over 37 weeks) and Caulophyllum (Blue Cohosh) 9ch when the labor starts.  I was prescribed one more thing after the labor, but I can't remember the name and am too lazy to go look for it right now shy.gif ... 

I'm looking for an opinion of a professional or an experience of anyone that has taken these homeopathics before and during labor.  I'm still a little apprehensive as I'm afraid to put anything into my body that could potentially cause some havoc, I'm trying to disspell my fears.

I'm also considering starting to drink the Red Raspberry Leaf tea and I'm wondering if it would be ok to drink it while taking the Arnica sugar pills and later on the Caulophyllum.

I'm looking forward to all your replies and will be greatly grateful for any opinions/suggestions.

Thank you! love.gif

Proud mommy to our stellar Stella (3/2011). 
#2 of 6 Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You can definitely drink red raspberry leaf tea while taking homeopathics.  You'd want to stay away from peppermint tea or essential oil while taking the homeopathics, though, because peppermint can negate the effects.

I'm confused as to why you were prescribed Arnica...?  It's definitely not going to hurt you (homeopathics do not work that way), but I've never heard of Arnica being prescribed as some kind of labor prep.  Caulophylum, sure, but not Arnica.  Did your midwife/holistic practitioner tell you why he or she wanted you to take Arnica?  I'm curious about this.

None of these homeopathics are going to make labor less "painful" or less intense.  Red raspberry leaf tea (a strong tea), at least a cup per day but two or three if you can--now until you give birth, will really help tone and strengthen your uterus.  It goes down easier with a little honey. smile.gif

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#3 of 6 Old 03-07-2011, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombjuice View Post

You can definitely drink red raspberry leaf tea while taking homeopathics.  You'd want to stay away from peppermint tea or essential oil while taking the homeopathics, though, because peppermint can negate the effects.

I'm confused as to why you were prescribed Arnica...?  It's definitely not going to hurt you (homeopathics do not work that way), but I've never heard of Arnica being prescribed as some kind of labor prep.  Caulophylum, sure, but not Arnica.  Did your midwife/holistic practitioner tell you why he or she wanted you to take Arnica?  I'm curious about this.

None of these homeopathics are going to make labor less "painful" or less intense.  Red raspberry leaf tea (a strong tea), at least a cup per day but two or three if you can--now until you give birth, will really help tone and strengthen your uterus.  It goes down easier with a little honey. smile.gif

I did not actually go to the doctor/homeopath personally - he's located in another country and my mom talked to him for me.  He's an actual medical doctor that started with homeopathy decades ago when the country was still under the Communist rule, so he's been practicing it for a long time and is well respected in the city.  He said that these have proven effective in other women's labors.  He also said he wished my mom told him earlier that I'm expecting because he could have given me other things, but he said these three are very good to take.  Arnica is supposed to prepare my body for labor - somehow - I'm not sure of the details.  The Caulophyllum (sp?) is supposed to help contractions to be effective and shorten the labor ...  That is all I know. 

Thank you for answering my question regarding RRL tea ... I'm going to purchase it tomorrow and start with the regime.  How many cups a day should I drink from now on?  Is there any special way it should be prepared? Thank you again.  lips.gif

Proud mommy to our stellar Stella (3/2011). 
#4 of 6 Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 PM

Hi, 

Not  a professional but my doula suggested arnica for my labor this time to help avoid a PPH that I had at my last birth.  I am going to take 400c at the beginning of labor and I also have 30c for after...hope this helps!

Stella

#5 of 6 Old 03-08-2011, 07:14 AM

This is fascinating to me.  The only way I can wrap my head around Arnica being used to prevent postpartum hemorrhage is if it is meant to reduce swelling of the urethra so the mama can urinate after the birth--this would, therefore, prevent a full bladder which can lead to the uterus not contracting efficiently after the birth.  Hmm...very interesting!  I will have to research this topic more. 

Wilhelmina, to brew the red raspberry leaf tea you can do one of two ways: 1) Pour one mug of freshly boiled water over about a tablespoon of dried red raspberry leaf.  Steep for about 20 minutes, and then strain, add honey, and drink.  -Or- 2) Pour one quart freshly boiled water over about one handful/one cup of dried raspberry leaf.  Steep for 1-4 hours, strain, add honey (you may have to reheat it for this, depending on how long you steeped), and drink.  I would recommend drinking at least one cup per day, but you can drink up to 3 cups per day.

Many blessings for a beautiful labor and birth!! heartbeat.gif

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#6 of 6 Old 10-01-2011, 03:39 PM

A midwife friend also recommended the homeopathic preperations of blue and black cohosh along with arnica after 37 weeks to prep for labor. I assumed that this would be to mitigate any possible "beaten up" or "bruised" feelings that can and do occur during labor (again, arnica would be for actual bruising and bumping or just the "feeling" of brusing or bumping...)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page