How do you determine your fee when reducing it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-08-2011, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For those who offer free or reduced rates how do you determine who can pay your fee and who can't?  Do you have something officially written up or is it based upon your life, instincts, number of reduced clients you currently have?  

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#2 of 6 Old 04-08-2011, 08:13 AM

I offer a discounts this way:

Set dollar discount on my full fee to anyone who can prove current eligibility for WIC, medicaid, or who is an active duty military member or spouse of an active duty military member ranked e5 or below.  This takes any responsibility for income analysis off of my shoulders.

Anyone who has the balls to ask for a cash pay discount and agrees to pay in one lump sum gets a little bit off.  I guess the Dave Ramsey fan in me just has to reward the asking..

Since I have an apprentice in primaries, I will reduce my fee (pretty significantly) for clients willing to let her be their primary ie all prenatals, all postpartums and me sitting on my hands at their birth.  This is offered only at my discretion.  There are some women who I don't get the feeling are good candidates for this situation, for whatever reason (ie complicated OB history, young unsure primi, etc) and they don't get this offer.

I sponsor a local natural birth forum and offer $200.00 off of my regular fee for members of that forum who mention my sponsorship.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#3 of 6 Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 AM

For the most part, I use common sense, a social justice ethic, and my own life experience as a guide. I have an advertised discount for military and student families, and anybody else, I'd work out a reduced fee on a case-by-case basis.

I know enlisted military/Natl Guard are getting paid a pittance for doing a lot of really tough work. And I was a student on a limited income, so I know that a few hundred bucks can be make-or-break. I only offer the student discount to families where both partners are students, as I think that if one partner is a student and the other works full-time and makes more $ than I do at my own day job, they don't NEED a discount. If people balk at the fee or tell me they aren't sure they can afford the full fee, I would instantly offer to work with them at a reduced rate, but nobody has done that yet.

If I get a client who is referred to me through her care provider and is a single mom making a cruddy income (like, she works as a housecleaner at a motel -- I don't need to ask her income to know she's barely keeping her nose above water), I tell her that if she can swing paying for my gas/parking, that would be great, but that I budget for a certain number of births per year that I do with women who want a doula but can't pay the full fee. I think women will feel better about having you work with them and will take your services for granted less if they pay something, even if it's just $10 for gas or crocheting 5 potholders and a table doily for you. and anytime I talk about doula services to an audience, I always tell them, "If you want to have a doula, don't ever let cost be a barrier. JUST ASK. Among all the doulas in town, we can ALWAYS find somebody to work with you, regardless of your ability to pay for services." I do take to heart the DONA vision that there should be a doula for every woman who wants one.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
#4 of 6 Old 04-08-2011, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info ladies.  Right now for our teen and low income referral service we had set the guidelines at WIC qualification.  Just trying to figure out if that is a good basis for them receiving free assistance.  I know some will say never give it away, but we are a nonprofit and we were set up to give it away - well somewhat because they do have to invest themselves in this.  I have set it up so they have to attend childbirth classes to get services free, and there are a few other requirements.  

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#5 of 6 Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 AM

Nothing is free.  It is just a question of who is paying for it.  

#6 of 6 Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 AM

I give potential clients my base price and let them know if they have expressed financial concerns that we can work with what fits best for them. I am also open to barter if it works. Personally I want all moms get the birth they want so I am pretty open to working with adjusted prices.

So far I have had people being very fair and paying me more than I thought they could, so I guess for the most part I go off of instincts in guiding me.

Tia Rich, DEM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page