Online Classes With Gloria Lemay - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I'm really diggin' the idea for both me and my apprentices:

http://onlinemidwiferyed.blogspot.com/2011/04/online-midwifery-classes-start-soon-may.html

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#2 of 17 Old 04-26-2011, 01:05 PM

I took a few of her classes during the last session and they were fabulous.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 17 Old 04-26-2011, 06:27 PM

I'd say the ones I participated in were pretty basic. Not a bad thing of course, smile.gif. I love Gloria and take her workshops whenever she comes around, but just a heads up. Will probably be great for your apprentices especially if they are not far not into their studies.

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#4 of 17 Old 04-28-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, they look pretty basic.  I mean, BP and palpation?  Yeah.  But the apprentice who is just starting out needs BASIC stuff and we've been so busy I haven't even had time to go over BP with her yet, so that's good.  And they're affordable.

I'm excited about "confident nutrition counseling."  I feel like a remedial class in that would be a good thing for me wink1.gif.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#5 of 17 Old 05-02-2011, 11:48 AM

Thanks for posting this! This looks like the perfect opportunity for me to get my feet wet and start learning. It may even push me off the fence I'm currently occupying. orngtongue.gif

#6 of 17 Old 05-03-2011, 08:14 PM

I actively boycott Gloria Lemay. Her midwifery ideas and mine are not compatible on many things.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#7 of 17 Old 05-04-2011, 03:51 PM

Can you elaborate, Jane?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#8 of 17 Old 05-04-2011, 08:48 PM

We diverge on issues such as licensure, proper student training, and what is a decent way to transfer a laboring woman to the hospital.
The biggie is that I think licensure is a good thing. And I am also significantly more conservative than her in considering what presentations and situations are appropriate for home birth.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#9 of 17 Old 05-04-2011, 09:35 PM

http://www.cmbc.bc.ca/Illegal-Midwifery-Practice.shtml

just thought i would put this out there for you.  I know it was from 2002, but still....

Love tocrochetsmilie.gifand have way to much yarn!   teapot2.GIF is always on at my place.  
Wife familybed1.gif, momma femalesling.GIF, teacher homeschool.gif and all that is inbetween to A b. 31/12/04,  W b. 27/10/06vbac.gif,  V b 17/01/09hbac.gif, and     G b. 09/09/11hbac.gif

#10 of 17 Old 05-05-2011, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm with Jane.
I think it might be wise to review the info before recommending it to your student.
Although I have been unlicensed , I am a licensure advocate. The practice of midwifery should be simply legal, transferable from state to state, the way nurses and docs can move. For the most part when direct entry is legal then there is less restrictions on CNMs and you find medical folk softer or atleast resolved.
But beyone the licensure there are things,too many things I have heard her comment on that I disagree with to just give her info a pass sight unseen/heard.
#11 of 17 Old 05-05-2011, 07:47 PM

I feel like Gloria LeMay has many good things to say - but was taken aback by several things - including her stance on VBAC as well as her stance on licensing... I'm not so sure about her anymore.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#12 of 17 Old 05-05-2011, 10:58 PM

I took her last set of intro classes and they were quite basic but interesting. She has a very strong personality, however, and I would certainly suggest that a potential student (of anyone, not just Gloria Lemay) be prepared to question what they are learning and understand that her perspective is but one in a complicated situation.

That being said, I don't think her views on licensure or other political issues were really a focus of the class, and I was actually surprised at how cautious she seemed especially about breech presentations. I don't recall discussing transfers/transports at all; it wasn't really within the scope of the class.

I think the best part of the course for me was "meeting" other birth workers around the world, and it really helped me get my feet wet and encouraged me to pursue other educational opportunities. If you are looking for a basic introduction to midwifery skills in an accessible format, I would certainly consider Gloria's class. You can also attend them on an individual basis and evaluate for yourself rather than committing to the whole series.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more (I don't post here often these days but I'm always a PM away).
Charmie981 likes this.

Stay-at-home mama married to my best friend of 10+ years. lovestory.gif  Aspiring midwife loving parenting our beautiful babyf.gif Julian, born 5/24/09. Expecting a second bean in late July 2012!joy.gif
  h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIF  intactlact.gif  namaste.gif

#13 of 17 Old 05-14-2011, 10:09 PM

I take her classes and they are basic but they give me a base and a direction as well as introduce me to other birth workers or birth workers to be. She and I do not have the same ideas on a lot of things but that rarely if ever comes up. I still think she has things to offer as a teacher even though we disagree on some subjects. 

Homebirthing Mama to busy DD (2008), cuddly DS (2010) and midwife to be
#14 of 17 Old 06-06-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae14 View Post

http://www.cmbc.bc.ca/Illegal-Midwifery-Practice.shtml

just thought i would put this out there for you.  I know it was from 2002, but still....

Come on! If you are going to put something like this out there which could potentially harm someone's reputation then at least have your facts right. IN these accounts Gloria won HER case and was exonerated by the Supreme Court of Canada!

Of course there are going to be other midwives you disagree with but please let us not contribute to the stereo type that the midwifery world is really "a dog eat dog " place.

greenthumb3 likes this.
#15 of 17 Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 AM

Mae14, 

I personally appreciate you sharing that. That article was factual, and I think we can all read it and judge it on our own. No harm in sharing information.

#16 of 17 Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Well, of course, as with anything, you take what you can use and throw away the bones.  I am a much more conservative midwife than Gloria Lemay and my students are both aware of that fact, but I do appreciate that she has a high volume of experience from which to teach and no matter how you practice midwifery, skills like BP and palpation are the same ;).

#17 of 17 Old 06-20-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Dancer View Post

Come on! If you are going to put something like this out there which could potentially harm someone's reputation then at least have your facts right. IN these accounts Gloria won HER case and was exonerated by the Supreme Court of Canada!

Of course there are going to be other midwives you disagree with but please let us not contribute to the stereo type that the midwifery world is really "a dog eat dog " place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calldeville View Post

Mae14, 

I personally appreciate you sharing that. That article was factual, and I think we can all read it and judge it on our own. No harm in sharing information.

I was just sharing information.  There was no judgment or harming someone's reputation.  

Love tocrochetsmilie.gifand have way to much yarn!   teapot2.GIF is always on at my place.  
Wife familybed1.gif, momma femalesling.GIF, teacher homeschool.gif and all that is inbetween to A b. 31/12/04,  W b. 27/10/06vbac.gif,  V b 17/01/09hbac.gif, and     G b. 09/09/11hbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page