Is it safe to travel 2-3+ hours during labor? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-15-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, 

I'm rather new to this community. DH and I are TTC#1, and we unfortunately live in the middle of nowhere. I've been hunting for midwives for a month now and I can only seem to find them 2+ hours away. 

We live in Altus AFB, OK, and there are some in OKC, and in Ft. Worth TX, but those seem to be closets ones.I'm originally from Cottondale TX, even smaller than Altus, but closer t Ft. Worth, but still and hour or more to Ft. Worth. I've considered going to stay with my family there when I get closer, but Who knows when I'd really go into labor, I could be there for two week or more and Hubby wouldn't be able to be there the entire time.

I really want a midwife. At a spouse group on base one woman was talking about her experience at the local hospital: She stood up for a while, thinking about the old fashioned birthing stools, and when the nurse came in she asked the nurse to just check her standing up, and the baby was crowning. The nurse said they had to wait for the doctor and held the baby in, made her sit indian style on the table until the doctor got there!

So I'm really just looking for help on finding a midwife near by, or if it would be ok for my husband to drive me to OKC or Ft.Worth when I go into labor. And if so, I then worry about pre and post labor care, having to drive all that way so many times..gas is expensive.

Thanks for any advise or information, this search is just getting so stressful, but I DO NOT want to give up and go to the hospital.

-Ray

Expecting #1 in Feb 2012.3rdtri.gif winner.jpgcd.gif  delayedvax.gif homeschool.gif  ribbonrwb.gif  

#2 of 3 Old 05-16-2011, 05:51 AM

The midwives in OKC (Heaven Sent Birth, I believe) are wonderful and they do homebirth, so they would come to you.  Even if you are outside of their usual "zone", I think they only charge an extra $100 for the travel time (sometimes they will waive this so be sure to explain your circumstances).  They will also do 2-3 postpartum visits.  I REALLY liked Margaret Smith, the head mw at Heaven Sent and if I were going to use a mw it would be her.  She was willing to come to me without any extra cost and I am as far from OKC as you are. 

Shayla ~ Crunch-tastic UC mama of 3 nature kids and a moon baby

#3 of 3 Old 05-17-2011, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. I'll have to get a hold of them, and Talk with hubby, he's very supportive of me finding a midwife, but very uncomfortable with a home birth. I'd love to have a home birth, maybe this will change his mind. 

Thanks again for the info.

Expecting #1 in Feb 2012.3rdtri.gif winner.jpgcd.gif  delayedvax.gif homeschool.gif  ribbonrwb.gif  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page